School grades

just so suave

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, i understand this is in the wrong thread, but i think you're the guys who will have decent answers for this, not school kids.

Im currently studying for A levels at my school in England, and i hate it, but my parents and the teachers seem to think you can't get anywhere good in life without excellant grades, and a university degree. I have pretty good GCSE grades though. I want to leave School, and A levels arent compulsory so legally i don't have to be their. I just wanted to know how useful your School grades have been for you?

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
just so suave said:
Hey, i understand this is in the wrong thread, but i think you're the guys who will have decent answers for this, not school kids.

Im currently studying for A levels at my school in England, and i hate it, but my parents and the teachers seem to think you can't get anywhere good in life without excellant grades, and a university degree. I have pretty good GCSE grades though. I want to leave School, and A levels arent compulsory so legally i don't have to be their. I just wanted to know how useful your School grades have been for you?
Listen to your parents and teachers. They know more about you and your situation than any of us.

I personally won't hire anyone to do a white-collar job, without having at least a bachellors degree.

DavenJuan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
Listen to your parents and teachers. They know more about you and your situation than any of us.

I personally won't hire anyone to do a white-collar job, without having at least a bachellors degree.
i have tackled pretty good jobs without finishing college. i hold particular licenses and also registered as a licensed as a stock broker.

ANYTHING can be done if you really want it.

HOWEVER, it is ALOT tougher to accomplish these things without a degree IMO.

i have limited myself in some situations because some DO require a degree. also, room for promotions in some professions require degrees as well.

think long and hard before making any decisions.

good luck

BoredDude

Don Juan
Reaction score
A degree will get you in the door allowing you climb the corporate ladder if you have the necessary skills. Although there are many great men that have dropped out of school and became very sucessful such as Bill Gates and Steve Jobs doesn't mean it was done with any sort of ease. Now I'm not saying working your way up to the top with a degree will be easy it's just a lot easier than being at the top right away.

Also, in America atleast, many companies look for your degree instanstly and if there isn't one your resume will be thrown in to the paper schredder even if your the best candidate for the job.

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stats show people with higher education status have a lower unemployment rate (quitting school at year 10 compared to year 11, getting a uni degree compared to not do further study). I average about 4 As and 3 Bs. I got straight As a couple times and I know I could have easily many more if I was willing to put the effort in. I always get achivement awards but my school isn't very strict or smart TBH. Most old people who didn't finish HS, even reach ones, say they regret not doing it.

Listen to your parents. Straight As aren't compulsory and it is extremely fcking good where I come from, but you should aim for the highest.

just so suave

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok then thanks guys, im going to finish me A-levels and see where I go from their.

Crazy Asian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dude listen to them.
no matter what you think.
your grades are more important than anything else in your life right now.
i'm assuming ur talking about high school right?
well you don't NEED awesome grades in high school, so anything above a 3.5 cumulative will get you into college. But make sure you're preparing yourself for college, so learn to be independent, and be organized, and most of all, don't slack off.

just so suave

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
No its not High school, I finished that, and now im studying A levels, and then if i pass i could go to university in september, but im not really interested in uni. I'll still concentrate at school though