Running on an empty stomach a bad idea?--to lose weight/fat

Pulsar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been doing some varied things lately..I've been running in the hopes of losing some weight...I've also being concentrating on skipping and pushups/situps.

Anyway I've heard from a few places that it's good to run in the morning on an empty stomach because you're more likely to burn fat.

I also read somewhere that this could be bad because you could end up burning muscle of as well...

Thing is that I haven't really been into weight training or anything like that so I gather that i don't have a lot of muscle to lose anyway...

So yeah, should I eat a bit then run or should I just run first and eat after?

At first I was just running in the morning but now that someone told me that I'd lose muscle doing it that way I've decided to eat some cereal first and then wait 20-30min and then run...

Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
from wht i read, if you fun with an empty stomach you burn muscle, if youeat fir, you burn fat.

also, good to eat as soon as you wke up cuz it starts your metabolism. when your sleeping you meto slows down and it stays that way till youeat

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I heared running after breakfast is great ..
That's about it. Best thing to lose weight is stop eating after 6PM. (really)

Pulsar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ok, so eat something first. got it.

hardwork

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From a fellow runner...

Actually, due to the nature of the exercize (distance running, I assume?), you're going to suck up some muscle no matter HOW full you are prior to starting out.

(That's just in my experience, though. Chances are you're not running, like, 8 miles a day? :p If you are, though, I offer my condolences.)

I don't really think it matters whether or not you run on an empty stomach. I think the losses will surely be eclipsed by the gains. I do know, though, that it's much more comfortable to run after having eaten at least something during the course of your day. The last time I ran on an empty stomach, I got cramped up really badly.

But if I were you and I... er—you... uh... one of us were sprinting instead of running distance, I'd try running on an empty stomach just to be sure you're not going to over-do the ol' running and puke up something that'll ruin your day. :D

FitnessGuy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I consider running on an empty stomach to burn fat a rather extreme method of lowering bodyfat because you do lose some muscle(very very little but it's still muscle). I do this pre-contest to get my bodyfat down to a very low level. For the normal person there are better ways to lower bodyfat. Personally I would recommend you try HIIT instead, and with some food in your stomach. Goodluck.

Pulsar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy advice guys, it's much appreciated :D