Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Roller Coasters...

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
I've been setting up visits to theme parks with friends this month. Up and down the East Coast of the US so far:

Kings Dominion, Richmond, VA

Went here with a couple of friends last week. They've come a long way since I was there 10-15 years ago. Their newest coaster is an Intamin "giga-coaster" called Intimidator 305, famous for a 305-foot first drop and banked turns that pull enough "Gs" to make you black out if you're not ready for it. They also acquired a classic B&M corkscrew coaster from a park that closed down (called Dominator) that is a fun ride, and they have Volcano: The Blast Coaster, a magnetic-launch coaster that loops upward and out the top of a large fire-breathing mountain. Lots of "supporting cast" too...old classics that still have some stay-power.

Hersheypark, Hershey, PA

This is probably the closest "theme park" to where I live. It was originally opened by the Hershey company as recreation for their employees and, as it grew, it eventually opened to the public. Through backing from Hershey and several other "sponsor" companies, it's been able to stay pretty competitive in the coaster market. It features three major Swiss mega-coasters. The Great Bear is an inverted (hanging) steel coaster custom-built to fit into the park, a smooth-running coaster that twists and corkscrews and has you looking at a lot of sky. The coaster roars like a bear as well, due to lack of sand in the supports to dampen the sound. The StormRunner is a high-speed coaster featuring a sudden hydraulic launch into a near-vertical top-hat feature and several inversions for an exciting thrill ride. They also introduced a new coaster, Fahrenheit, that I haven't been on yet but have heard good things about. In addition, they have some unique wooden coasters and some old-school steel coasters as well.

Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, NJ

I have never been to this park before, but it's about as far from me as Kings Dominion, so we are planning a trip. They have a lot of coasters that continually show up in "top coaster" lists that I've read. El Toro constantly takes top-honors for wooden coasters, Nitro seems to get rave reviews, and Kingda-Ka, which is similar to Top-Fuel Dragster at Cedar Point, also gets a lot of attention. They also have several other superhero-themed coasters that look interesting.

Cedar Point, Sandusky, OH

This is the one we are trying to get together for Fall..."roller coaster capital of the world", they say. Looking especially forward to riding Millenium Force and Maverick.

So who else enjoys a good roller-coaster? What other theme parks in the US are worth checking out? Like I said, I've been staying local mostly, but am willing to travel if there's something I just HAVE to check out.

What's your favorite roller-coaster? Which theme parks have you been to?

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hit me up if you're ever back in the area, dude.

Last edited:

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lake Compounce in Bristol, CT. is home to the mighty Boulder Dash.

It's a wicked-fast out & back.

It was created right in the side of a mountain, and the goal was to remove as few trees as possible.

Just as you think you couldn't possibly go any faster, you hit the turnaround that accelerates you to 65 mph. There are faster coasters out there, but the fact that you're going through trees and boulders, plus a fairly rough track, makes it so intense that you can't even mentally acknowledge the scenery.

I rode it last about 6 years ago, and it was the most violent ride I've ever been on. It was badly in need of re-tracking, and they have done that since I rode.

Unfortunately I'll never be able to ride a wooden coaster again because I was rear-ended while sitting at a red light 18 months ago and my spine was crushed. It truly saddens me that I can't do it anymore.

Not for the faint of heart. Ride it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZOEMtHwJg4&feature=related

element0

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are going to Hershey and Sandusky, might as well stop in Pittsburgh to go to Kennywood. There are a bunch of old wooden coasters, the Thunderbolt is the most famous of the lot. There is also the Phantom's Revenge, great steel coaster, I think about 230+ feet, and the first drop corkscrews down. They are opening a new coaster this year, I believe it is a launch type, but I can't remember the specifics.

Cedar Point is a must, but be prepared to wait in long lines all day; the Millennium Force is by far the best coaster I've ever been on. The view is awesome, the ride is smooth, and it's fast a hell. The Magnum is a vintage late 80's steel coaster, that has a great view of the lake, but it isn't as smooth as most steel coasters.

Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA was a solid coaster park. Check out the Alpengeist and the Phoenix.