Rejection - a primer

The Unknown Don

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello again.

A little over a year ago, I ran into this site and was amused,interested...sometimes appalled. I decided to throw in my two cents in these threads:

http://sosuave.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?threadid=16427

http://sosuave.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?threadid=16300

I checked in on rare occasion, but I have refrained from posting again until now. The reason is because tonight, I was rejected. In my 41 years this must have been the something-hundreth time I've been rejected, and I can assure everyone reading these words that my self-esteem remains intact, I am happy, my balls are still there and functional, and I don't hold the slightest resentment towards the woman. In fact she's a nice, beautiful, intelligent person (otherwise I wouldn't have bothered pursuing her) and I only wish her well.

There is nothing a man loathes more than picking up the phone and calling a woman for a first or second date when he is not absolutely sure about her feelings towards him. What can be worse than hearing, "Gosh...I really like you, but I think it would be better if we were just friends." You expose your feelings, you make yourself vulnerable, you thought you really "connected" at that party, and you only succeed in getting shot down. Why-oh-why won't she give you a chance?

I will answer that for you as simply as possible:

Rejection is simply one of nature's clever ways of playing genetic roulette.

Most of you are intelligent enough to extrapolate from there. I'm not going to go into a lengthy diatribe about the evolution of heterosexual sex as a reproductive strategy or the role of mating rituals in higher-order primates. Please feel free to head to your nearest library or amazon.com if you wish to read more on the subjects.

The real point I'm trying to make is that don't let a simple - yet annoying - facet of biology get you all flustered.

I know that for many men, especially those that are in their late teens to early twenties and haven't had much success or experience with women, this won't make the process any easier, but always remember that try as you might you aren't going to change the laws of physics by wishful thinking, and - by the same token - you aren't going to change the workings of DNA. Rejection is an important part of the game...resign yourself to the cold, hard fact that it will happen more often than acceptance.

You don't fear gravity (well...unless the parachute fails to open), you don't fear the second law of thermodynamics...and - trust me on this - you need not fear rejection.

If nothing else, the ability to put rejection in its proper context will help you develop the appropriate response the next time a woman nervously titters, "let's just be friends"....

Laughter.

Last edited:

Luminescence

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes.... I know that one must not take rejection personally, but I still cannot help but loath the outcome of the millions of years of our psychological evolution, from my ''subjective'' perspective.