Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Reggae Music

Rebound Material

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just got into reggae music...Weird enough I didn't start out with the "reggae starter kit" Bob Marley because I started off with Sublime's early 90's music which I thought was chill...I actually got criticized for that. Anyways, I just wanted some more suggestions as in artist, particular songs, etc....what you guys got?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Peter Tosh - he's the guy who taught Bob Marley how to play reggae.

Other bands:
if you like Sublime, you'll like The Long Beach Dub All-Stars
Israel Vibration
Beenie Man (dub, not very chill)
Shabba Ranks
Cutty Ranks
Mighty Sparrow for some classic calypso
Burning Spear
eek-a-mouse
toots and the maytals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reggae_musicians

Also, they're not exactly reggae, but you might also like The Kotton Mouth Kings.

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I prefer ska, but Trojan has what you're looking for in their box sets. All kinds of reggae you can imagine for ~$15 on Amazon. I mistakenly picked up the DJ set a few months ago and like most of it.

U Roy did an awesome cover of "The Tide Is High" which I really enjoy. Max Romeo is awesome too.

I hate people who criticize others for listening to music they like. Sublime is good sh¡t.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I really like a lot of early dub. The early 80s were a great period for creative, fresh reggae. Here are some really great ones:

The Dub Factor by Black Uhuru - Most eerie, intense dub I've ever heard, bar none. Not for the faint of heart. Great for listening in the dark.

East of the River Nile by Augustus Pablo -- Smooth, chillin' dub that's not too bass-heavy. A beautiful, bright groove.

True Democracy by Steel Pulse -- Pretty hard-edged reggae, with strong social commentary (as for Black Uhuru above).

All of those artists are well worth checking out, and have many excellent works.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rebound Material said:
I just got into reggae music...Weird enough I didn't start out with the "reggae starter kit" Bob Marley because I started off with Sublime's early 90's music which I thought was chill...I actually got criticized for that. Anyways, I just wanted some more suggestions as in artist, particular songs, etc....what you guys got?
s

I know what you're talking about by the "reggae starter kit" Bob Marley, particularly the greatest hits album "Legend". I feel like if I hear that album one more time I'm going to explode. Not that those songs aren't great in their own right. Bob Marley is great of course, buy any of his full length albums, they're all good.

Buy "True Democracy" by Steel Pulse, in my opinion the best reggae album every made. If you want some reggae with a more romantic vibe that ladies will dig, get some rocksteady. I love that stuff!

Get anything from The Gladiators. Incredible group though not as well known as many others. Can't go wrong with them.

You haven't really stated though whether you prefer roots reggae or the more modern stuff.

Rebound Material

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yea, Steel Pulse is pretty good. I especially like their song "Roller Skates".

speakeasy said:
You haven't really stated though whether you prefer roots reggae or the more modern stuff.
To answer this question, I guess I really prefer the fast pace punk/rock/reggae of sublime like the song DJS(its on my myspace is you guys wanna hear http://www.myspace.com/humpberto. I like most reggae music but like alot of them, its just too chill and makes me lazy in a sense haha.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, so you like the white boy reggae, hehe. You should check out 311, Matisyahu, UB40 and The Police. If nothing else, download "love song" by 311, damn I love that songs. Lot of the ska/punk bands from the 90s had reggae tracks on the album. Check out Fishbone, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Hepcat(definitely check out Hepcat), Some of Less than Jake's early stuff, can't even remember the names of all those ska bands now, you could do a search on google for more 90s skacore bands. They almost all play some sublime style reggae.

Bad brains too, they are straight up rasta punks. They just came out with a new album.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Reggae is the sh!t. I went to jamaica for a few days last month and it's hard not to love it when it's being played practically all over the country.
Usually I just pump on my itunes into the reggae radio channel, lots of good stuff there.

Rebound Material

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Ok, so you like the white boy reggae, hehe.
Yea, thats what I concluded also hahaha. I guess thats why I was criticized.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Funny, I just caught Steel Pulse last evening. A free show, no less, at an annual international music festival we have here.

Great show. :cool:

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I only know some German reggae artists

"Gentleman" and "Seed" is pretty good

Rebound Material

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i knew Matisyahu sounded familiar! Yea, I looked him up on youtube and saw this rabbi looking guy just bustin some reggae haha. He's pretty damn good.