Reduced Calorie Diet = Longer Life

RochambeauAllStar

Reaction score
There have been many studies (will look up references if interested) that show that a reduced caloric intake increases your life expectancy. The basic theory is that your body is an engine... Throw too much at it and it over heats.

The majority of people aged 100+ have been shown to eat around 1,300 calories/day througt their life.

Just curious. How many calories do *you* eat in a day?

Me, even with lifting, around 1,400 calories. Yes, I know that is *way* below normal. I honestly try to eat more, but that is with six meals/day... That includes about 170g or protien.

(Oh and this is TheRisingSon... Somehow I got 2 nicks...)

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you only drink water, water and nothing else but water?

edgewater

Don Juan
Reaction score
I would rather be 220lbs of pure muscle and live till I'm 80-90 than a 100 year old toothpick.

Even the best dj's aren't gonna be scoring at 100 years of age :p

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah... I'm happy with the live fast, die young mentality.

So what if I only get to 65-70? atleast I wasnt run down by a bus when I was in my teens and I got a chance to blast through life having the best possible time I could.

That being said, 18-19 is still teens, so lets hope I havnt spoken too soon!

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
But the problem with calorie restriction is if you don't eat the right types of food of course. Then you will run into vitamin/nutrient deficiencies.

2xp

Don Juan
Reaction score
i've also seen these studies, saying that there are only 2 things that increases your life expectancy :

1 - eating just less than you need.
2 - no sex

one scientist then had a theory - and i somehow agree with that - that if you don't give the body what it needs, it kinda "sleeps" because it believes it's the hard times, and gives you more time so that you would live life more.

anyway, there is no point restraining yourself from eating what you should and having sex, why live during 120 years the hard life of a monk if you can live the cool life of Don Juan during 50 ?

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1300 cals per day, for their life? There's no way. Your body would enter into starvation mode and begin feeding on it's lean tissue... entering either a catabolic or anabolic state (forget which, someone help me out here).

babemaster2000

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a catabolic state (there are anabolic steroids which build muscle)

Anyways, 1300 is wayyyy unhealthy, you must be like 5', 75 lbs

B.A.

Don Juan
Reaction score
One theory that has been proven is that people who incorporate meat in their diets have greater rates of longevity compared to vegans and committed vegetarians, though their are numerous factors that can affect this comparison.

As previously quoted by CliffStamp on another forum:

"For vegetarianism and life span, see :

HL Abrams. Vegetarianism: An anthropological/nutritional
evaluation. J Appl Nutr, 1980, 32:2:53-87

quoting :

"Vegetarians often maintain that a diet of meat and animal fat leads
to a pre-mature death. Anthropological data from primitive
societies do not support such contentions.""

- B.A.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This all reminds me of a joke.

A guy goes to the doctor and says "I want to live to be 100"

The doctor says "Do you smoke?"
Guy says No

Doctor says "Do you drink?"
Guy says No

Doctor says "Do you hang around loose women?"
Guy says No

Doctor says "Then what the hell do you want to live to be 100 for then?"

WishIWas

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by B.A.
One theory that has been proven is that people who incorporate meat in their diets have greater rates of longevity compared to vegans and committed vegetarians, though their are numerous factors that can affect this comparison.

As previously quoted by CliffStamp on another forum:

"For vegetarianism and life span, see :

HL Abrams. Vegetarianism: An anthropological/nutritional
evaluation. J Appl Nutr, 1980, 32:2:53-87

quoting :

"Vegetarians often maintain that a diet of meat and animal fat leads
to a pre-mature death. Anthropological data from primitive
societies do not support such contentions.""

- B.A.
That's funny, I just saw a newspaper article yesterday in the Washington Post that said the exact opposite. Being a vegetarien promotes longetevitiy.

B.A.

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WishIWas
That's funny, I just saw a newspaper article yesterday in the Washington Post that said the exact opposite. Being a vegetarien promotes longetevitiy.
Ah yes, you read it in the tabloids so it must be true. Are you able to copy and paste the article onto the thread from the Washington Post website for further dissection?

- B.A.

WishIWas

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by B.A.
Ah yes, you read it in the tabloids so it must be true. Are you able to copy and paste the article onto the thread from the Washington Post website for further dissection?

- B.A.
since when is the Washington Post a tabloid? moron. when it exposed the Pentagon papers? when it exposed the Watergate scandal?

that's moot. it was actually the new york times.

here's the article. it raises the possibility that not eating meat promotes a longer life. nothing is conclusive, but it refutes your ill thought out point.

egetarians' Life Span

Q. Have there been studies of whether eating a vegetarian diet increases life expectancy?

A. Large health studies done for various purposes raise the possibility, but do not prove, that avoiding meat could be associated with living longer.

It is difficult to separate the effects of vegetarian diets from other factors in such studies.

Advertisement

Some of the most often cited surveys, for example, have followed groups of Seventh-day Adventists, who do not eat meat, to see what happens to their health over time.

But almost all Adventists also avoid smoking, and many exercise regularly.

A study published last year in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reviewed data from six studies that included people who ate meat less than once a week. The study also looked at new findings on the life expectancy of longtime vegetarians in the Adventist Health Study.

The authors of the Journal study found that a very low meat intake was associated with a significant decrease in death risks in four studies, and a nonsignificant decrease in the fifth study; they found virtually no association in the sixth.

Two studies also indicated that being on a vegetarian diet for a longer time contributed to a significantly greater decrease in mortality risk.

In all the studies, the protective effect seemed to weaken after the ninth decade.

now suck my ****, *****.

B.A.

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WishIWas
moron.
now suck my ****, *****.
Unfortunately, this attitude just about sums you up, though I expect as much when posting on a forum that caters for pre-pubescents and teenagers.

since when is the Washington Post a tabloid? moron. when it exposed the Pentagon papers? when it exposed the Watergate scandal?

that's moot. it was actually the new york times.
Yes, I'm sure sales of said tabloid went through the roof when this story was released. Afterall, selling newspapers is a business for making money, not a scientific journal used for research etc.

Q. Have there been studies of whether eating a vegetarian diet increases life expectancy?

A. Large health studies done for various purposes raise the possibility, but do not prove, that avoiding meat could be associated with living longer.

It is difficult to separate the effects of vegetarian diets from other factors in such studies.
The phrase you used - "the exact opposite" - doesn't appear to support your argument against my study (which if you bother to research one day you will find it was conducted over a period of decades on large population groups). At best, the first part of the article "sits on the fence" and fails to commit to a pro-vegetarian lifestyle.

Some of the most often cited surveys, for example, have followed groups of Seventh-day Adventists, who do not eat meat, to see what happens to their health over time.

But almost all Adventists also avoid smoking, and many exercise regularly.
Two studies also indicated that being on a vegetarian diet for a longer time contributed to a significantly greater decrease in mortality risk.
Now vegans/ vegetarians in general are healthier than the average person in the US, this isn't simply because they are vegan but also because :

1) they exercise more frequently
2) they are not as fat
3) don't tend to smoke / drink to excess as much

and of course, don't eat as much refined sugars and highly processed foods. A lot of vegans / vegetarians tend to concentrate on organic whole foods, making this the bulk of their diet, which is a good thing. What I would argue for is that adding wholesome quality meat and animal products further improves quality of life and longevity. My argument is consistent with the independent research catalogged in the massive study that I made reference to.

If you have independent thoughts that mirror those of the tabloid, you'll have to dig up the studies that the paper made reference to for a more indepth comparison.

- B.A.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
roflmao @ Bishop.. lolol, nice one

Unfortunately, this attitude just about sums you up, though I expect as much when posting on a forum that caters for pre-pubescents and teenagers.
I'd prefer it if you didnt make such a broad statement about the entire board.

In my view, if you have so much time to worry about how you're going to add a year on to your life or whatever, you're not exactly living it up at the moment are you. Or you wouldnt be thinking about adding on another year. You'd just be living it.

:rolleyes:

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you have so much time to worry about how you're going to add a year on to your life or whatever, you're not exactly living it up at the moment are you.
Amen, my djben brotha.

Besides, mr. B.A, I think we all know now that "wishIwas" is just a big fukkin idiot anyway, considering he's too stupid to attempt to read the 200 or so words you posted, saying, "too long." haha.

WishIWas

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by semag
Amen, my djben brotha.

Besides, mr. B.A, I think we all know now that "wishIwas" is just a big fukkin idiot anyway, considering he's too stupid to attempt to read the 200 or so words you posted, saying, "too long." haha.
too long didn't read.

definitely didnt care.