Receding hairline or plain bald??

asid76

Don Juan
Reaction score
So I shaved my hair off today...

I've been going bald for three years and in the last six months I have watched my forehead slowly grow. It was ok prior to this as I was only missing a little hole of hair on the back of my head. But once the hair on the front of my scalp started to disappear as well I opted to take ALL the rest of it off. After I looked at my bald head in the mirror this morning I felt kind of awkward but I realized I looked a little younger. Then I thought I wonder if girls even care if a mans hairline is receding.

I honestly think that I will get more girls now. I know how much they love hair but is it worth having it if it is badly receding? I have been struggling for about 3 months with "should I shave it or not??" I think not having hair will make me stand out more and it definitely makes me look more interesting but it might also alienate me from some girls. I think a full, thick head of hair is definitely something most women are into as it likely signifies a strong gene pool but is it really that important to the majority of them?

I wonder if anyone out there has had this same problem, namely, low confidence to a receding hairline or pattern baldness and how do you deal with it? Shave it? Muss it up so know one notices? Or do you just let it grow in on the sides and not worry about how it looks? Would love to hear some feedback...

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
asid76 said:
Would love to hear some feedback...
If you want to hear about some options, PM me.

I won't go into it on here because the subject will attract ignorant asshats like a lightningrod attracts electricity, but I would be happy to give you some valuable info if you are interested.

Canadian Catnip

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I shaved my head a few months ago as well. I was getting a chrome dome and was feeling self conscious about my looks.

It felt really strange at first but I go used to it. I can't think of a single person yet that has not liked the change. Many people have said that it has made me look years younger. I just made a side by side composite picture on my computer of me from 6 months ago with my hair and today without hair. I look about 10 years younger without the hair or beard. I looked so different after shaving my head that even my own brother didn't even recognize me.

I think women will like it if you like it on yourself. You have to wear it as if it's a style choice, like you would wear a tattoo or a nose ring. If you walk around conscious of your head being bald then it comes across in your body language.

Give it time. It will GROW on you.

Andy_Dufresne

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've gone the opposite way, with great results. I let my hair grow out, leaving the baldness on top. I throw some gel in for work to keep it straight, and tie it back and wear a ball cap over it on the weekends.

You could do either - shave it off or grow it out, the important thing is wearing it the way that makes you feel the most confident.

Women definitely notice how you wear your hair.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do what makes you feel best about yourself. Women notice your confidence. It's also cool to go bald now.

Ballie

Don Juan
Reaction score
Why worry about what is perfectly natural. I am thinning out on top - but this has been reversed somewhat now that I am eating properly and living a healthy lifestyle.

Just dont wear a rug, or resort to a comb over. I don't believe in shaving my head or dyeing out the grey because that just reaks of insecurity.

MaddXMan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ballie said:
Why worry about what is perfectly natural. I am thinning out on top - but this has been reversed somewhat now that I am eating properly and living a healthy lifestyle.

Just dont wear a rug, or resort to a comb over. I don't believe in shaving my head or dyeing out the grey because that just reaks of insecurity.
Good lord! I dyed my hair black once, worst mistake ever. Didn't do the allergy check beforehand. My head throbbed so severely it felt like poison was being injected into my brain. I actually ended a date early because all I could think about was rushing home and putting my head under cold running water to stop the burning. Be careful if you do this and check for allergic reaction first. Never again

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Question, for all you guys that have started seeing your hair loss, did your father's hair follow the same pattern? My dad's hairline is completely intact and he's a few years shy of 60. Mine is still holding up at age 32. I've seen a slight thinning at the crown, but my hairline hasn't been noticably altered, knock on wood. I just feel skepitcal about that conventional wisdom of your balding pattern being inherited from the grandfather on your mom's side.

As for shaving your head, these days any kind of guy can get away with it and look cool. At one time, only a black dude could shave his head without people thinking he's a cancer patient. Now white dudes do it, Asian dudes do it, Latino dudes do it. It's pretty normal. And if you have a couple tattoos to go with it, you might look like someone who can kick some ass.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You should keep the style you feel better suits you . I have a full set of hair but been doing the bald look since i was like 12 and only grow it out every once in awhile. Plus there are always dames who like to rub their hands on a freshly clipped head.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ballie said:
Allright....here we go....

I wear a "rug" but it isn't a RUG. It's movie star quality, and I can assure you that wearing it has NOTHING to do with insecurity. I'm one of the lucky ones who looks good bald as well.

Matter of fact it looks so good people fly hundreds of miles to conventions to see just how good it looks in person before taking the plunge themselves. I can assure you that if I walked up to you on the street you would never in a million years guess that the only hair that is my own is my sideburns.

And if someone wants to dye the grey or shave their head, who are you to judge. people do things for their own reasons, and if it improves their quality of life, more power to them.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only time I will shave my head is if I start going bald or gray. Neither are showing any signs :)

STR8UP, I remember when you got your rug. There's nothing wrong with that. If you're happy with how good you look with it, then by all means keep it :)

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I went bald around 3 months ago and it was probably the best thing I did for my look in a while since I started taking weight lifting seriously.

I have always been a pretty good looking guy, but now women come and rub my head... I have had more than one random woman come and rub my head in the last 3 months... one time when my GF was sitting right there looking at her.

speaking of, for about a week I literary could not keep her off me when I cut my hair off. horny bastard.

I was scared to cut my hair because my head is pretty big.. but I won't ever grow hair again it looks so right on me.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desdinova said:
STR8UP, I remember when you got your rug. There's nothing wrong with that. If you're happy with how good you look with it, then by all means keep it :)
Since then I have transitioned into a full cap. the only hair I have is my sideburns....that's it....the rest is a custom all french lace piece like William Shatner wears. It's the same thing as Tyra Banks, Beyonce, etc. wear, except mine has to be flawless since my shortest one is only 3/4" long in the back. The women can get away with a LOT more with 18" hair.

I can spike the hair in the front showing the entire hairline if I so desire, you can see scalp throughout when I use product....it's pretty impressive. I can basically do whatever I want including watersports, ROUGH SEX etc. and the only people who have a clue are the ones who I choose to tell.

For me I do it more out of a hobby than anything, cause I can rock the shaved look no prob, but I know it's devastating for a lot of guys. I
was at a convention a few weeks ago and met a guy who had been teased since he was 10 years old because he had a high, funny looking hairline. He got a small partial piece that looks AMAZING and he's probably happier now than he has ever been in his entire life.

I'm even getting involved in the business to an extent. I don't sell the units, but I know the owner of one of the companies pretty well so if anyone is interested PM me and I will show you some pics and point you in the right direction.

It isn't for everyone, but it's a viable option if you have the confidence to say fukk what "society" thinks, cause they don't know sh!t.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I
was at a convention a few weeks ago and met a guy who had been teased since he was 10 years old because he had a high, funny looking hairline.
That's interesting, because I have the same thing. At age 15, I had classmates tell me I was going bald due to my hairline. I'm in my 30s now and I have more hair than most of the people who told me I was going bald back then :D

I still get people telling me that I'm losing my hair just by judging my hairline. I just ignore them now. Until I actually see visible proof that I'm going bald, I'm not going to worry about it :)

DonutMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going bald, but I shave it. eh.. I don't care anymore. I've been told I look like Vin Diesel, other then being bald I don't see it. lol

If youre going bald and it looks bad shave it off, youll be a lot more confident with it, and a lot of chicks like the look.

In my mind shaving is the only option for fighting baldness.