Reading or studying in bookstores, cafe's starbucks

stratt

Don Juan
Reaction score
I see people reading in bookstore cafes or places like starbucks. I'm thinking this might be a good place to meet girls. It seems weird to go there and read though. Do you bring a book into starbucks and sit down and read by yourself? do you read a book in the bookstore(do you buy it first) or do you bring your own reading material? I've never done this and am just trying to figure out the culture of these places.

Drex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea I'd like to know how this works also. It would feel kind of weird to just pick up a magazine or book off the shelf and then sit down and read the whole damn thing then put it back. Is that what everyone does?

sisyphus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I do it all the time. Sometimes I sit down and read a whole book of the shelf. No big deal.

falloutboy

Don Juan
Reaction score
not only do you get a free read, but you also meet people who like the same books you do :p

coin

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm more curious about how to approach someone that's busy reading.

sonick182

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Wow, how is that book? I've been meaning to read it...."

"That book you're reading is GREAT, i really enjoyed it"

XANEUS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
"school..."

tiburon

Banned
Reaction score
Man guys relax

You guys need to be more natural..you are stressed on how to approach a woman or how to go to starbucks or a bookstore and chill. Well you just go because you want to..not just to meet women and if there is a girl you like ..you just start talking to her..is very simple ..girls dont mind interruption i fthey like the guy....

DJs are cool ...they are natural...relax people...

Tiburon

One on One

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel kinda paranoid when I go to a bookstore and start reading by myself. It's out of my element. I never read anything so I don't know why I do it. I can't focus on reading.

stratt

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Man guys relax

Originally posted by tiburon
You guys need to be more natural..you are stressed on how to approach a woman or how to go to starbucks or a bookstore and chill.

I'm not stressed out at all, I'm just curious as to what most ppl do.

Well you just go because you want to..not just to meet women and if there is a girl you like

Why not???, I'm not going to delude myself to thinking I'm going there for a vanilla cafe latte

Mr. Latte

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sit down next to her with a really deep book, and start reading it...upside down.Or get a coloring book or something, and sit down and pretend to read it. Something else that's gotten me a laugh (I don't reccomend you do this often, it has to be the right kind of girl) is to rip huge (they have to be obvious) eyeholes in a newspaper (think of those crappy old spy movies) and pretend to read it while you're looking @ her.

Lone_raider

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I got to Starbucks all the time, sometimes with a friend or a girl and sometimes by myself. I have absolutely no problem with going to Starbucks by myself and reading a book or a magazine. You just go in there grab a big comfy chair with your drink and read away. Mind you always checking the area to see if any hotties have walked in. But despite that, I've neve had much luck picking up women in Starbucks lol. But still you shouldn't feel wierd sitting there by yourself, if your confident it just doesn't freakin matter really?

I have a better time creating a conversation in a Book Store. As others have mentioned there are multiple things you can say to spark a conversation. What books are they looking at? Have you read them? Any opinions about it? Some funny commentary you could say about? I've done this before, said hey I read that book, it was pretty good, but I didn't like so and so part. Then you can take the conversation any direction based on her response. You can also comment on clothing items (this works anywhere). In the same bookstore mentioned above I saw a girl wearing shorts that had the name of a popular Island off the coast of my state printed across the ass off her shorts. Now this one I thought risky as she new I was looking at her ass lol, but I said hey do you like going to Block Island? And she said yeah I go there all the time! And boom, a 10 minute convo about Block Island.

So there ya go :)

Starman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you can find a cafe .. you can start becoming a regular there..I know some girls that go to the same cafe all the time..so its easier to become aquainted with someone there

and I think WOMEN who go to coffee shops WANT to get picked up and meet people anyway..Whats the point of going to a place like that when you could read at home??

Drex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr. Latte
Sit down next to her with a really deep book, and start reading it...upside down.Or get a coloring book or something, and sit down and pretend to read it. Something else that's gotten me a laugh (I don't reccomend you do this often, it has to be the right kind of girl) is to rip huge (they have to be obvious) eyeholes in a newspaper (think of those crappy old spy movies) and pretend to read it while you're looking @ her.
Latte that's hilarious stuff man.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
Theres a Caribou Coffee right up the street from where i live. Theres also a starbucks in a Barnes an nobles in my city. However, these are the only 2 coffee shops of their kind.

Anyway, the starbucks up the street is usually filled with wierdos and somalians, and cops. Ive seen some honeys go in but i wouldnt go there to sit with 8 somalions a couple cops and 1 hotty, i dont drink coffee anyway ;P

killerasp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i could never pick up girls a bookstore. i onced tried to read a book on a big comfy chair. i always pass out on them. no matter what i do, i find myself sleeping in bookstores. best damn nap ever.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dave134
I feel kinda paranoid when I go to a bookstore and start reading by myself. It's out of my element. I never read anything so I don't know why I do it. I can't focus on reading.
I would not try to DJ anyplace where I did not feel comfortable. To DJ yu should own the immediate environment (or at least act like you do). If you are uncomfortable, it will show.

tiburon

Banned
Reaction score
opposite view

I think you should try DJing any place you feel umcomfortable after a while and posible rejections and failure it becomes natural, and a DJ should be a DJ anywhere rather than only in those palces were he is comfortable!

Tiburon

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by coin
I'm more curious about how to approach someone that's busy reading.
All you need to do is get her attention. I use to frequent book stores/coffee shops with my own books, or magazines as props. Whatever it was, I could talk about it when asked.

I sit withing a close enough distance where she can easily see and hear me. I start reading for a few minutes and then I let out a laugh, then a little later another one, a little louder. Women are generally curious (especially about guys who are jovial and in a good mood) so there is a chance that she will ask you what was so funny.

If she doesn't, just put down your book and call to her, "Excuse me, what do you think.. Money is the root of all evil OR The love of money is the root of all evil?" You can use any topic that you are will versed in but will still pique her interest.

She'll either give you her thought or she will give you a quizzical look. Either way, you can directly make your way to her table to discuss the topic further.

The rest is up to you.