Reading Hurts

kk2004

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This is not a joke, and the headaches have been bothering me for quite some time.

I usually get about 5 hours of sleep just letting you know some background information.

Im in college and as a college student you have to do alot of reading for school, but everytime I start to read an article or a book for more than 10 minutes I will start to get a headache.

I will feel pain in my head almost as if my head was being squeezed, and this pain only pertains to reading where I have to think alot.

Say if I was reading a tablot paper, or some interesting article, then getting through the material will not produce any headaches.

But if I was reading a law book, or a book on economics, trying to understand and read the book will start to give me a headache and make comprehension difficult.

This pain never comes when I watch tv, it only comes when I have to think alot when I speak to someone ie. an interview or read a dense book.

This is not good, if anyone has had this problem please let me know and if you could provide some links to where I could get more information it would be appreciated.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you wear glasses or have trouble seeing the text? Glasses can cause headaches if you don't have the correct type of lense for your eyes.

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
its most likely because you strain your eyes too much.

piranha45

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my mom had this problem, she barely went to the opthalmologist (eye doctor) a week ago about it.

Oil glands situated in her eyes were clogged. He gave her some ointment to rub in her eyes daily for the next 2 weeks to thoroughly de-clog them, and her headache vanished the first day she used it.

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You could be straining your eyes really bad. Make sure you read in a well-lit area, and keep your face at least 8-10 inches away from the page. Remember to blink intermittently as you may be forcing your eyes open. Focus on things far off in the distance every once in a while.

Other than that, see an opthomologist.

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When you read, you contract muscles in your eyes to bring the pages (which are close) into focus.

You don't have to do that when you're watching TV (because it's further away).

The best explanation is that you need contacts/glasses or stronger ones.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you need glasses.