Questions about weight gain

Peter Parker

Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m 145lbs right now and I’m dead serious about reaching 180lbs.

In the morning
3 tbsp of vegetable oil
2 tbsp of protein shake(18g)
2 eggs with 3 hash browns

Later on
I have McCain fires smeared with cottage cheese and 2 pogo sticks

That basically the set part of my routine and in the afternoon I go to work. At work I usually eat out and after work I come home to dinner or just do fries and pogo sticks.

1.First I’m obsessed with capoeira ( Afro-Brazilian martial art) so I do cardio 3-4 times a week. How difficult will it be to gain weight doing this much cardio.

2.How organized should your diet be? Like should I be trying to calculate the amount of protein in a slice of pizza.

3.I have a tight schedule and plus im lazy, do I have to learn to cook instead of living of ready made McCain shlt.

4.Money is tight right now so before I join a gym I want to know I’m gaining. How effective are push ups and sit ups in the comfort of my own room.

5.In Diesel guide to bulking up how come there is no mention of fruits what's their value when it comes to gaining weight.

thanks

Anyways I’m going to reach 180, right now it’s my main ambition.

-Spidy Out

JoeBlack

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Peter Parker
I’m 145lbs right now and I’m dead serious about reaching 180lbs.

In the morning
3 tbsp of vegetable oil
2 tbsp of protein shake(18g)
2 eggs with 3 hash browns

Later on
I have McCain fires smeared with cottage cheese and 2 pogo sticks

That basically the set part of my routine and in the afternoon I go to work. At work I usually eat out and after work I come home to dinner or just do fries and pogo sticks.

1.First I’m obsessed with capoeira ( Afro-Brazilian martial art) so I do cardio 3-4 times a week. How difficult will it be to gain weight doing this much cardio.
Kinda hard. Cardio is catabolic and burns calories. Its really not very productive in terms of doing weight. A bit yeah, but 4 times and you are going to find it hard to gain weight. of course you could just eat a TON more because its all about in vs out but thats making your life harder than it has to be!

2.How organized should your diet be? Like should I be trying to calculate the amount of protein in a slice of pizza.
Depends on your goal. If you are trying to gain weight its a good idea to calculate calories. Otherwise you could not be eating enough and not know.

3.I have a tight schedule and plus im lazy, do I have to learn to cook instead of living of ready made McCain shlt.
Yes, and being lazy is the key here. If you are lazy you;re not going to do very well. Learn to cook simple foods (putting chicken in the oven is not rocket science) and make all your foods the day before to avoid errors.

4.Money is tight right now so before I join a gym I want to know I’m gaining. How effective are push ups and sit ups in the comfort of my own room.
Gaining is about eating food. To be honest to train to gain you gotta be in a gym. Or by yourself some dumbells. You could do it with body excercises. Chins, dips, push ups etc... Its harder though.

5.In Diesel guide to bulking up how come there is no mention of fruits what's their value when it comes to gaining weight.
They are ok... Sugary carbs but not too bad when bulking. Not particularaly calorie dense though.
thanks

Anyways I’m going to reach 180, right now it’s my main ambition.

-Spidy Out [/B][/QUOTE]

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your diet will not help you reach your goals.

Try some sort of complex carb for breakfast. Oatmeal is generally the best, and can be real tasty if you do it right. At the moment I have a large bowl of oatmeal and milk, with a low-fat strawberry yoghurt and banana. Blend together, and it's my favourite meal of the day. It makes me get up in the morning just cause I know how nice it is.

Checkout the thread I've just made concerning all the different types of food. They're all the best sources. Banana's are the odd one out with fruits, all the others are good sources.

A good breakfast really is the way to go.

Look into making some/buying some protein bars to keep you going throughout the day. it looks like you're busy, they'll probably be a godsend cause you can help get 6 meals a day in. 6 meals a day is essential to a high metabolism.

Good luck with it, and keep those legs flippin'

B

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what's wrong with bananas as carb sources?

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They'll spike insulin levels more than most other fruits because they're full of simple carbs.

Good for when you've just woken up/pre or post workout, but really theres better fruits for the job.

Soma

Banned
Reaction score
Okie dokie....a few years ago I was determined to gain weight like a mad man. I put on 25 pounds in 3.5 months. I went from 125 to 150pnds. 19 pounds, of the 25 I gained, was muscle.

I could go into depth but that would be one huge azz post. But if you're really interested I did it using Anthony Ellis's program. He's a former Body For Life competitor. His website is Skinnyguy.net. I think there's even some info on this site in a post somewhere. I never checked the thread though cause I assume there are a bunch of naysayers who haven't actually put in the work so don't know what they are talking about.

It was a LOT of work and after a while I got tired of it. It was nice being that big and strong compared to how I used to be but I felt that all that time training could be spent on other things, like dancing. So I stopped training and playing a lot of video games and got into dancing. Since I proved to myself that I COULD get big if I wanted to, I was cool with being thin like I used to be. Finally became comfortable with my body! Anyway, I still exercise but use the methods taught by Matt Furey for functional strength rather than big size.

Anyway, a couple quick things....

As said, it will be very hard for you to gain weight while doing a lot of cardio. Especially if you're a naturally thin guy. You're going to have to decide which is more important to you; gaining that weight or your capoeira. You can still do both but your weight gains will be very very slow going.

Another option is working out to get stronger, rather than bigger. You'll already have a good foundation of functional strength through capoeira because of all the ground work but if you want to take it to the next level, check out Matt Fureys' stuff. That also works. Mattfurey.com.

Soma

Banned
Reaction score
Okie dokie....a few years ago I was determined to gain weight like a mad man. I put on 25 pounds in 3.5 months. I went from 125 to 150pnds. 19 pounds, of the 25 I gained, was muscle.

I could go into depth but that would be one huge azz post. But if you're really interested I did it using Anthony Ellis's program. He's a former Body For Life competitor. His website is Skinnyguy.net. I think there's even some info on this site in a post somewhere. I never checked the thread though cause I assume there are a bunch of naysayers who haven't actually put in the work so don't know what they are talking about.

It was a LOT of work and after a while I got tired of it. It was nice being that big and strong compared to how I used to be but I felt that all that time training could be spent on other things, like dancing. So I stopped training and playing a lot of video games and got into dancing. Since I proved to myself that I COULD get big if I wanted to, I was cool with being thin like I used to be. Finally became comfortable with my body! Anyway, I still exercise but use the methods taught by Matt Furey for functional strength rather than big size.

Anyway, a couple quick things....

As said, it will be very hard for you to gain weight while doing a lot of cardio. Especially if you're a naturally thin guy. You're going to have to decide which is more important to you; gaining that weight or your capoeira. You can still do both but your weight gains will be very very slow going.

Another option is working out to get stronger, rather than bigger. You'll already have a good foundation of functional strength through capoeira because of all the ground work but if you want to take it to the next level, check out Matt Fureys' stuff. That also works. Mattfurey.com.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I never checked the thread though cause I assume there are a bunch of naysayers who haven't actually put in the work so don't know what they are talking about.
It's actually an Awesome thread that's quite complimentary about the program. Lots of good info too.