Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Questions About Buying An Older Car

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm thinking of perhaps downgrading to an older car, since the theory is that the insurance will be cheaper, even if I maintain full insurance (every option, not just liability).

If I do this, it'd probably be a 1988-1991 model, just under 20 years old.

I know that lower mileage is almost always good, as well as paper work to show work that was performed. I also know that you should look at the underside to see what the condition is like.

I also know that finding ones with little to no rust makes things harder, but I don't have to buy in a hurry.

Another thing is that I'd probably have to buy from a private party, since dealerships don't often have the older models, and the models sold by classic car dealerships are too old.

I've also thought of perhaps a car with the "police package," and not all of them have been used as former police cars, although most have. I think of this because I've heard it's possible to get a very high number of miles out of it. Good idea or bad?

I'd also like to know if there are other things to watch out for with a car that's older than 10 years old.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dont buy anything that has been thru a wreck

ask if they have ever had to replace the transmission before, and when

ask if they ever had to replace the alternator, and when

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Old police cars are usually Crown Vics with very high mileage. You'd spend a lot in gas and repairs.

I think insurance is generally a bad deal. I always buy the minimum possible, and just save my money to have on hand to pay larger deductibles. Full coverage is not worth it for cars that are only worth a few thousand bucks.

For old cars, I like old Preludes as at least being a little sporty. Any older Civic, Accord, Camry, or Corrola will provide a good value. If you want something sportier, look at RX7s and Nissan Zs. But with sportyness comes higher cost of repairs. Turbo means engine rebuilt pending at any time.

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Old police cars are usually Crown Vics with very high mileage. You'd spend a lot in gas and repairs.

I think insurance is generally a bad deal. I always buy the minimum possible, and just save my money to have on hand to pay larger deductibles. Full coverage is not worth it for cars that are only worth a few thousand bucks.

For old cars, I like old Preludes as at least being a little sporty. Any older Civic, Accord, Camry, or Corrola will provide a good value. If you want something sporty, look at RX7s and Nissan Zs. But with sportyness comes higher cost of repairs. Turbo means engine rebuilt pending at any time.
I have a 91 Accord for 4+ years now but not problem...

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt:

I know that they often have high mileage, although in some cases you have a diamond in the rough. On occasion I've seen cars for sale that did have the police package but didn't appear to have high mileage, although you're right that most of them do. I know that high mileage is bad, but isn't police or taxi package good? I'd also consider a used taxi if I happen to find one with lower mileage (unlikely but possible).

As for gas mileage, I don't really care. I do have minimum mpg requirements, but it appears that over 90% of models meet them. This includes any model used as police cars, and any domestic model sedan (which is what I want).

I'm more interested in RWD and minimum 1,500 lbs + towing capacity. I almost never have to carry around large amounts of stuff, but on rare occasions I do and I hate the idea of renting a truck, since trailers are cheaper to rent.

I actually figured that anything based off of the same platform as the Caprice or Crown Vic is a good idea. Can 1,000s of police departments be wrong?

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i have a friend that bought an old sheriff car really really cheap.
they have been driving it for about five years and they havent complained until the ac just went out.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't buy a used police car, ever. Police cars are driven in such a manner that it's hard on everything. Taking good care of the vehicles is not high on the list of most departments. The vehicles are a tool to do the job..ie, You are stomping on the gas, slamming the brakes, then stomping the gas all day long.

Yes, they have upgraded suspensions, brakes, and transmissions. But they just get way too beat up.

Seriously, old police cars..bad idea.

Damian

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally, most cars that are over 12-15 years old are already way past their prime. Up front, you may think you're getting a good deal on a car from the price tag. On the contrary, you're getting screwed by all the maintenance costs of something so old. If you're going to buy any used car, you need to make sure it's still in good condition. Aside from the physical looks and the feel of the test drive, make sure that the seller has all the proper paperwork for regular maintenance (e.g. Oil changes, coolant system flushes, transmission maintenance, 10k, 20k, or 50k tune-ups, etc.)

From an insurance perspective, driving a 20-year-old car is definitely unsafe by today's stringent standards unless you're driving something that's so heavy that it drinks gas like water. If your insurance costs are the major concern, check out the top picks for crash safety and durability from the web. Of the top few, there are some very economically-friendly choices. In any case, you should be able to get comparable quotes from your insurance provider about how your rates would change with each vehicle. Call them up and ask them about any questions you have. It's THEIR job.

Check your local Craigslist for used cars:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/car/

-Damian

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I also know that finding ones with little to no rust makes things harder, but I don't have to buy in a hurry.

i used to sell cars.. take my advice... there are some GEMS out there. I once traded for a 93 buick with all of 27k miles on it. we had to give her 4 grand for it.. You see these from time to time

get the newspaper out.. and call around and any one who sounds like they are old..... old people don't drive. When I was down in florida selling cars in Venice, the capital of old people... every other car was a 96 camary with 60k miles, my means of transportation down there (the first time) was a 93 oldsmobile that was showroom clean and worked perfectly with 87k miles on it I bought for all of 700 bucks

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the cheapest way to own a car is to get a good one that's about 7-12 years old. If you're not really up on auto maintenance, take it to a good mechanic to have it checked out.

Such a vehicle is fully depreciated, has been through its first lot of repairs, and if it's a model that tends to have a transmission and engine that last long, it should be relatively inexpensive to maintain and insure, since you only need the legally required liability insurance.

I've done pretty well with this approach.