Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Question regarding testosterone levels...

bigshot

Don Juan
Reaction score
i understand the body produces more testosterone when the body is put under stress (e.g. weight training). I know you must have good sleep to maintain healthy testosterone levels, but if you dont sleep well every now and then, you are sort of putting the body under stress so would it not have the oposite effect and increase testosterone?

i hope everyone understands what i am trying to say...

Miles Davis

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
bigshot, yes, i understand what you are saying. however putting stress on the body by weight training is markedly different from stress due to lack of sleep. There are many chemical reactions which occur in the body due to weight training, which subsequently lead to testosterone being produced as a result of these initial reactions. The stress you speak of associated with lack of sleep may or may not lead to increased testosterone levels, but it is my experience that I do not feel as "juiced" when I'm running on less than my normal 8 hours per night.

I'm sure there are studies readily available on the net pertaining to this issue.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Your body releases growth hormone after exercise in order to better adapt to that stress. Lack of sleep is horribly unhealthy. Luckily if you miss a few Z's one night, you can catch up later.

Research the effects of stress and cortisol on the body. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
donjuanjovi said:
Your body releases growth hormone after exercise in order to better adapt to that stress. Lack of sleep is horribly unhealthy.
to clarify, lack of sleep does produce a stress response from the body, but the response releases precisely the wrong sort of hormones from the perspective of health and fitness.

Luckily if you miss a few Z's one night, you can catch up later.
unfortunately, most evidence suggests that for a variety of reasons you cannot 'catch up' on sleep, and the more you miss in one shot, the harder it is to make any of it up. it's a ***** for those of us who struggle with regular sleep patterns.

Doctor Who

Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually lack of sleep does put your body under stress. The problem is that it is not the kind of stress you want. Lack of sleep will lower your body's ability to produce testosterone, kill your energy levels, cause your body to store fat where your body's testosterone to estrogen conversion takes place, and hinder cognitive function.

I know what you are trying to say, but it has the exact opposite effect you desire. 8 hours of sleep, healthy eating habits and a dynamic exercise routine are by far the best ways to increase your testosterone levels. Avoid trying to raise them too much. Your body functions best when it is in balance.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigshot said:
i understand the body produces more testosterone when the body is put under stress (e.g. weight training). I know you must have good sleep to maintain healthy testosterone levels, but if you dont sleep well every now and then, you are sort of putting the body under stress so would it not have the oposite effect and increase testosterone?

i hope everyone understands what i am trying to say...
Doesn't work like that. Stress decreases testosterone levels. After a workout studies has shown that cortisol levels are higher & testosterone levels decreases. This is the response of your body towards whatever stress it gets.

Testosterone levels increases few hours after the workout: when recovery sets in.

-Mehdi.