Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Question for the strength guys... you know who you are.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gentlemen a couple of questions for ya:

Regarding weight belts:

Do you use a belt for squats/deads? If so, how does it benefit your lift? I've tried using a belt a few years back and it just made me wanna throw up, so haven't used once since. I always see competitive powerlifters use them, and lotsa guys w/ triple BW deads use em too... wondering if I should start using one.

Regarding hamstring exercises prior to heavy squatting:

I've recently taken to doing light higher volume seated leg curls prior to squatting. I find doing this activates my hamstrings and gets blood into them. I usually do 4 sets of 10 w/ a light weight prior to starting my high bar squats. I find it really helps my squat. Anyone else do hamstring work prior to squatting? Are there any schools of thought that you know of that talk about hamstring activation prior to squats?

Thanks in advance.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Regarding weight belts:

Do you use a belt for squats/deads? Not since 2007. If so, how does it benefit your lift? Makes your torso tighter and increased my lifts roughly 30lbs overnight. (at the time went from 5x250lbs atg squat, to 5x285lbs atg) I've tried using a belt a few years back and it just made me wanna throw up, so haven't used once since. I always see competitive powerlifters use them, and lotsa guys w/ triple BW deads use em too... wondering if I should start using one.

It's not a big deal. Plenty of strong guys use belts, although there are a lot of purists who abstain from any lift assistance. If you train your lower back (GMs, hypers) and abs (weighted situps, leg raises) then its not an issue. I also used to do all my warmup sets without a belt, then throw on a belt for the worksets.

Regarding hamstring exercises prior to heavy squatting:

I've recently taken to doing light higher volume seated leg curls prior to squatting. I find doing this activates my hamstrings and gets blood into them. I usually do 4 sets of 10 w/ a light weight prior to starting my high bar squats. I find it really helps my squat. Anyone else do hamstring work prior to squatting? Are there any schools of thought that you know of that talk about hamstring activation prior to squats?

Go to a pulley machine, strap one on to your ankle, load some weight up, brace yourself on the machine and then kick your leg forward and backward. Moving your leg backward while standing will activate your hamstrings and glutes.

I just start right in to squats though. I do some dynamic stretching first similar to the exercise I mentioned, to loosen my legs up. Then I just squat with the bar or a light weight and focus on PC activation and core tightness. Once I'm satisfied with my form and 'feel' then I'll start loading the bar.

Thanks in advance.
bbbbold.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:

Regarding weight belts:

Do you use a belt for squats/deads? If so, how does it benefit your lift? I've tried using a belt a few years back and it just made me wanna throw up, so haven't used once since. I always see competitive powerlifters use them, and lotsa guys w/ triple BW deads use em too... wondering if I should start using one.
I use a 13mm thick, 4'' wide belt for my top sets of squats and deadlifts. That thing is like a suit of armor, I love it. I also train abs with heavy resistance so I dont need to use a belt for sets below 90%.

Fuglydude said:
I dont do them prior to squatting, but I suppose a few light sets are fine. I do a variety of glute-ham raises, leg curls, and back raises after squats and DLs. I've never heard of any powerlifters doing that---a dynamic warm up usually works best.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys...

Regarding the belt: My trainer just changed my routine and has me starting w/ 3 x 10 deads on my back day. I've never been a fan of high rep deadlifting. The lower back is not only prone to fatigue, but I think it fatigues even faster when exposed to higher volume work like the 3 x 10 regimen. I don't think I'll do anything more than 315 x 3 x 10. I just don't want another lower back strain. I don't know if a belt is warranted for lighter work though. Thanks again for the feedback.

My trainers have me doing a lot of hamstring work on my old routine. I found this really helped w/ strengthening exercises like the squat and pistol. I love hamstring work now. Hopefully it'll help my leg press to come up too.

Boxer

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't use belts for squat or dead lift. I don't get to wear a belt out on the football field so I don't lift with one. Becoming as strong as possible in the weight room is not my goal anyways. I care to be stronger out of the weight room. I rarely ever do more then 5 reps on my last set of dead lifts. I'm not a fan of high rep deads either. I never had problems with my lower back lifting with out a belt.

Basically what A belt does is give you a stronger base. Before you lift you inhale as much as you can into your stomach and push out against the belt.

The only time I ever strap on a belt is for arched back good mornings. Simply because I do them after dead lifts and my core is fried at that point and I need a little extra support for good mornings.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I use a belt for squat and deadlift from 75% up, and for my heaviest bench set. It tightens up my torso into one solid unit. Love that feeling when I'm lifting heavy. It doesn't add any kilo to the bar for me, but my lower back gets less sore and recovers faster. I want longevity in the sport (powerlifting) and this seems to help.

A belt is meant to be uncomfortably tight, like a car tyre wrapped around your waist. It may take a few sessions to get used to that. You're also meant to do the Valsava maneuver and push your abs against it. Many novice lifters wear the belt too loose and don't push their abs against it, thus losing all the benefits the belt gives. It's just there for their peace of mind.

I don't do any hammies work on Squat day. I do GHR after deadlift on Deadlift day. None of the powerlifters in my club does any hammies work before squat. There are plenty of ways to warm up properly before working squat sets.

runner83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This thread came at a good time, since I was thinking of asking about it when I got a chance.

I've been lifting for about 9 months and don't use a belt.

Some of my mates have been lifting for about the same time, have started using a belt and reckon it is better.

Since I'm not an experienced lifter, my belief is that for now it is better to stick to doing the lifts without aid of belt and focus on upward progression, and make sure i have proper form down.

And when I am more experienced, consider use of a belt then. Does this sound right?

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I started wearing a belt when my lifts were Squat 160kg, Bench 100kg and Deadlift 190kg. Some people I know didn't wear a belt until they lifted much heavier, or not at all.

The problem with using the belt early is that novice lifters don't know how to use it. They wear it loose and don't push their abs against it, or even select the wrong belt to start with. Many gym belts are horribly designed by people who are clueless about lifting. Those novice lifters put them on and think that they're protected and start to slack off on technique, when they're not protected at all.

If you're lifting decent weights, have solid techniques and feel like you can make use of a belt, get one. If you do, get one that's certified for powerlifting (e.g IPF certified). Then you know it was designed by people who know what they're doing.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^^^This is great advice. I see guys walking around the gym wearing a belt the whole time....you're doing it wrong. No one ever got strong wearing a belt for every single set and exercise.

And while we're on the topic of lifting equipment, let me just b!tch for a second about straps. YOU DONT NEED THEM! Every wannabe bodybuilder toolbox in the gym feels like they need to use straps for everything. Like dumbbell curls, all kinds of rows, chins, anything where they have to hold on to something. And they all have the same pansy-as$ argument: "well it takes the focus off my grip so I can feel the right muscle working". Listen, puss bag--I'm pretty sure developing your grip to the point where you can at least hold on to a 70-lb dumbbell without straps like a goddamn man is not going to hurt your physique. They are a crutch, just like those flimsy belts bodybuilders like to wear (not directed at you Fug). Abs and grip are critical parts of strength. If you cant hold it, it's too heavy!

The ONE exception I make is bent over rows. I know some strongmen use them for certain events that allow straps, which is fine because those guys have crazy grip strength anyways.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rippetoe has a very good quote regarding grip & straps: "The back doesn't want to lift what the hands can't grip."

I've used straps for power shrugs (as I was holding my deadlift 1RM in a clean grip) and SLDL (clean grip, high reps) but that's it.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
^^^This is great advice. I see guys walking around the gym wearing a belt the whole time....you're doing it wrong. No one ever got strong wearing a belt for every single set and exercise.

And while we're on the topic of lifting equipment, let me just b!tch for a second about straps. YOU DONT NEED THEM! Every wannabe bodybuilder toolbox in the gym feels like they need to use straps for everything. Like dumbbell curls, all kinds of rows, chins, anything where they have to hold on to something. And they all have the same pansy-as$ argument: "well it takes the focus off my grip so I can feel the right muscle working". Listen, puss bag--I'm pretty sure developing your grip to the point where you can at least hold on to a 70-lb dumbbell without straps like a goddamn man is not going to hurt your physique. They are a crutch, just like those flimsy belts bodybuilders like to wear (not directed at you Fug). Abs and grip are critical parts of strength. If you cant hold it, it's too heavy!

The ONE exception I make is bent over rows. I know some strongmen use them for certain events that allow straps, which is fine because those guys have crazy grip strength anyways.

Thats exactly why I don't use straps. The only time I feel like I could benefit from them is when I do one arm dumbell rows.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmm... I think I'll refrain from using a belt until I train with guys that know what they're doing. I remember that one time I put it on it was really uncomfortable... I was training w/ a PL so he knew what he was doing.

Colossus... couldn't agree with you more w/ the straps! I say chalk and maybe some tape is all you need. I like to tape my wrists because they're "loose" and I tend to get tendonitis in them if I do a lot of volume with heavy weight. I don't even own straps and the time I've tried to use them for a dead, my muscles didn't even hit properly... its like my CNS was saying "something is wrong... we're not firing with this shiiite!". Alternating grip + chalk + taped wrists are more than you need IMO. Even for heavy one arm rows, I've gotten 125 lbs for 5-6 reps at a bodyweight of 180 with nothing, not even chalk. To me straps just feel unnatural.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Hmmm... I think I'll refrain from using a belt until I train with guys that know what they're doing. I remember that one time I put it on it was really uncomfortable... I was training w/ a PL so he knew what he was doing.

Colossus... couldn't agree with you more w/ the straps! I say chalk and maybe some tape is all you need. I like to tape my wrists because they're "loose" and I tend to get tendonitis in them if I do a lot of volume with heavy weight. I don't even own straps and the time I've tried to use them for a dead, my muscles didn't even hit properly... its like my CNS was saying "something is wrong... we're not firing with this shiiite!". Alternating grip + chalk + taped wrists are more than you need IMO. Even for heavy one arm rows, I've gotten 125 lbs for 5-6 reps at a bodyweight of 180 with nothing, not even chalk. To me straps just feel unnatural.
I don't see a problem wearing a belt if you're pressing big weights above your head. It's a vulnerable position for your torso, and while sure developing core muscles that can handle the load is great, it seems common in PLing circles (WSB) to throw on a belt for heavy mil press, ohp, or overhead squats.

Squats and Deadlifts is a little strange to be wearing a belt unless your doing an aggressive cutting cycle or are afraid of taking an injury. Would not wear one unless there was a good reason, but no shame in wearing it unless you're a newbie.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate using straps too. They're really uncomfortable and I can never seem to get them to work right, they always start coming loose in the middle of a set.

I wear a belt for squats, overhead presses and deadlifts. I wear it for the last warm up set and all work sets for squats & deads, and just the work sets for overead presses. I have a 13mm powerlifting belt and it was very uncomfortable the first few times I used it and gave me bruises, but now it's broken in and I'm used to it.

Midnight_Oil

Don Juan
Reaction score
What I miss about my college gym was that they had chalk. Used to use straps for dead lifting, now I know better.

j0n24

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Most of the time using a belt would mean that your deadlifting/squatting above at least 250 even then if your regimen and diet are solid I doubt you would even need a belt for the squats.....for the deads I would reckon it would be safer.

I never liked wearing gloves nor straps due to it taking away from your grip development.

I use liquid chalk and that works really well for what I need to grip and it is also a deterrent for callouses I've noticed.

IF you need gloves a very cheap and cost effective pair of "Gloves," Would be sponges. You have the green stuff pointing at your hands while the yellow is wrapping the bar....it helps your grip out and a lot cheaper then buying new gloves all the time.

PS....I've never been into high rep deadlifts unless your in a competition....most of time you have low rep high weight deads to gain muscle which in turn at comps you could pound out lighter weight easier.