Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Question for people who do Track

Future DJ King

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know if JOBOO is taking into consideration that you are doing heavy leg and back lifts( "squats, power cleans") and doing b-ball practice. All that work and running the kind of mileage JOBOO is talking about is overtraining especially for a high school junior. I have read that you have had at least 2 athletic injuries and maybe you body is telling you to slow down. I don't expect a teenager to take this advice seriously though. Whatever its your life, but just consider slowing down (not stopping) a little for a month and see what it does to your time.

Steve

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
DJ king, I know most teens might not take advice, but regardless of whether I follow advice or not, I appreciate people who give it to me, thanks. I do know I have limits, and do listen to my body. I realized I was overtraining 2-3 months back, lifting weights about 6 days a week while balling too. Diesel informed me I was overtraining, I changed now to about 3-4 times weights a week (different body parts), and have noticed muscle gains already.

My foot/ankle injury was because I was jumping up for a loose ball and this 6'7" dude landed on my damn left foot, then I was at the gym playing and a guy crashed on my right ankle after a rebound, 1 week after my foot heeled.. I'm good now though.

Also, once bball season starts in 3 weeks, I won't be able to run the track everyday probably anyways, cause of bball games etc... so I know I gotta rest my legs/body some times, but I just wanna get in what I can now.

Joobo also isn't like telling me to run non-stop, he's just telling me what I need to do to get to where I want to be. At least he said, "Don't run more than 8 miles a day" lol, and take it slow as I was just starting out. I know I have to push myself to see gains, but I'm not going to over-do it.

Anyways, I hope to be successful, and I'll post my progress!

Thanks,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited 09-28-2002).]

J0B00

Don Juan
Reaction score
DJ King, I appreciate your comments, but the guy asked a question and I answered it from a runner's perspective. I'm not aware of the current weight lifting regime that Steve follows now, but I DID give him some weight workouts that I thought might help him. And if he does things right, I don't think those workouts that I gave him are anywhere close to overtraining, even if you combine them with Basketball and his weightlifting. If I told you what kinds of workouts I'm doing right now, you'd say that I was overtraining too. Taking a month off is definately something Steve SHOULD NOT do! I can feel a difference (i.e. stiff, heavy legs) if I take only 2 days off from my running. I know that a month off for Steve would put him right back at the 6:00 mile mark again. I'm sure thats not where he wants to go.

I'm not trying to sound like I know everything about Cross Country and Track, but I'm not stupid and I know what has worked for me and for tons of other people. I also remember what it was like when I started running. I felt like I was tired all the time. I was lifting weights and running. But I set a PR almost every week that I raced. And I'm still improving. In fact, I just dropped 54 seconds off of my 8K time at a Cross Country meet today.

Anyway, Steve, I think you should continue to try and follow the advice I have given you as close as you can. I understand you are gonna be busy with basketball. Do what you can and try to get in as many miles as you can. Listen to your body and take a day off or two when you feel you need it. By all means though, DO NOT go any longer than 4 days without getting some sort of running in.

J0B00

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hows everything coming Steve?? Its the end of cross country season, so if all is going well, you might want to pick up the intensity of your runs a little.