Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Question for Canadians eh?

Chronocidal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Are there any Canadians here eh?

I happened up on this link about Canadian common-law marriage, and I've been doing a bit of digging around in the interest of fact-checking. A bit of web-searching came up with things like
this, but I haven't seemed to find much in the way of specifics, though I understand that there's significant province-by-province variation in the law. How commonly has this sort of thing been used in Canada for the purposes of divorce-plunder?

Do any Canadians here have any information and views on family- and divorce-law in Canada?

Thanks all.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's three years in my province, or one year with a child. They seem to have changed the laws since I was in my first common-law relationship. Before the change, if you live with a person for a minimum of six months, you were in a common-law marriage, but the property rights did not exist at that point.

It's all dependent on which province you live in. Three years isn't a bad length of time. I'm pretty sure I can figure out if the bytch is worth keeping after two years.

Chronocidal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Desdinova said:
It's three years in my province, or one year with a child. They seem to have changed the laws since I was in my first common-law relationship. Before the change, if you live with a person for a minimum of six months, you were in a common-law marriage, but the property rights did not exist at that point.

It's all dependent on which province you live in. Three years isn't a bad length of time. I'm pretty sure I can figure out if the bytch is worth keeping after two years.
Thanks for this info; I didn't know of any changes or that it had been as short as six months. From what I've been reading, this does not apply to Quebec?

How often is this sort of thing used as a means of divorce plunder? (Or where would be good resources to find out?)

Blistex

Don Juan
Reaction score
Chronocidal said:
Thanks for this info; I didn't know of any changes or that it had been as short as six months. From what I've been reading, this does not apply to Quebec?
That is correct. The Civil Code of Québec does not recognize common-law unions. Only civil unions and marriages are applicable under the CCQ. However, if you have children in a common-law union, alimony payments to the children will apply.

In the recent decision known as Eric vs. Lola, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that alimony payments to common-law spouses are not required, to the contrary of civil unions and marriages. In other words, spouses have no rights, duties and responsibilities toward each other (for more info: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...arried-couples-top-court-rules/#__federated=1)

The Québec Government is looking into perhaps updating the Civil Code to include common-law unions. However, this is how the situation stands for now.