Question about vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid)

Kanadasutra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Since the end of August i have acne breakouts problems... Probably a mix of automnal breakout, stress (career related) and alimentation... Not heavy, but still annoying.

I decided to try vitamin B5 that some of you recommended in a another thread about acne.

But i was not able to find vitamin b5 or pentothenic acid in a bottle.

I have readed somewhere that Breawer's yeast was a source of that vitamin so i bought a bottle of these (500 mg) and i would like to know what kind of dose i should take?

Any ideas?

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kanadasutra:
Since the end of August i have acne breakouts problems... Probably a mix of automnal breakout, stress (career related) and alimentation... Not heavy, but still annoying.

I decided to try vitamin B5 that some of you recommended in a another thread about acne.

But i was not able to find vitamin b5 or pentothenic acid in a bottle.

I have readed somewhere that Breawer's yeast was a source of that vitamin so i bought a bottle of these (500 mg) and i would like to know what kind of dose i should take?

Any ideas?

From what ive read, anywhere from 5 to 10 grams of B5 for acne. That means 5,000 to 10,000mgs. How many mg's per dose of B5 in the brewers yeast?

------------------
"Fear is for...getting your confidence." -STEVEN HELLER, PhD

"Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious!" - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

Kanadasutra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Viroid:
From what ive read, anywhere from 5 to 10 grams of B5 for acne. That means 5,000 to 10,000mgs. How many mg's per dose of B5 in the brewers yeast?

I have not been able to find the exact information on the bottle but from other similar products it seems that it's under 50 mg by tablet.

So i would have to swallow the entire bottle just to get ONE 5 gram dose!

LOL

So i think i will have to search again for real b5 vitamin supplement bottle or take an appointment with a dermatologist!

Thanks for your help!

W

wheelin&dealin

When you start taking it, use about 5 - 10 grams per day, then after a few months you'll only need to take about 3 grams per day to maintain it's effects.

Kanadasutra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by wheelin&dealin:
When you start taking it, use about 5 - 10 grams per day, then after a few months you'll only need to take about 3 grams per day to maintain it's effects.

I always had more problem in the winter, so if am able to get a clear skin for a few months, i will be sure that it's from the vitamin b5 intake.

I will definitively try that and post the results if they are relevant.

Thanks again.

Page

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, I always drink lots of water as well, and cut way back on greasy shyt like fries.

This is b/c when your skin is oily, a bunch of bacteria form and eat the oil. When this happens, you get breakouts. I heard somewhere that if you drink a lot of water, it flushes out all the oil and shyt from your skin, and it helps keep breakouts under check. You cut back on fries to reduce your oil intake, plus the fact that all that fried shyt isn't good for you anyway.

All I know that it works for me at least. Everyone's acne seems to be different, so this might not work for you, but try it.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wash the oil off your face with a mild cleanser like basis. Then apply lotion like Eucerin to moisturize so your face won't make a bunch of oil. Both these are derma-reccomended.

W

wheelin&dealin

I always had more problem in the winter,
That's because in the summer you probably had a tan that makes redness less noticeable.

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's because in the summer you probably had a tan that makes redness less noticeable.
Actually, its probably because the sun helps ones complexion.

So, if its winter, try the tanning salon.

------------------
"Fear is for...getting your confidence." -STEVEN HELLER, PhD

"Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious!" - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

Kanadasutra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Here is a short update:

Still havent found Vitamin b5 but it got noticeable, VERY NOTICEABLE
, results with other natural treatment:

From these sites:
http://gmuntz.tripod.com/
http://www.gnc.com/health_notes/Concern/Acne_Vulgaris.htm

I found some recommendation of natural products and i decided to try zinc and tea tree oil.

The only other thing i have changed recently is vitamin C intake.

Maybe just a placebo effect?

I will see over time...

[This message has been edited by Kanadasutra (edited 11-08-2002).]

Kanadasutra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Another update...

Great improvement with Zinc and Tea tree oil (doesnt burn skin benoxyl but smell too strong.) but i was still having problem where hair grow (beard near the mouth and jaw): I even stop shaving thinking it will help the skin relax and it was worse.

I finaly was able to find B5 vitamin in a natural product shop (12$ cnd for ~90 caplets 500mg).
That's expensive considering the dose to be taken... BUT IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have started just a few days ago and the results are already impressive... And i definitely like the fact that there is no secondary effects... except on confidence!

Not a great fun to swallow the caplets.. but an effective way to drink plenty of water!!

That was definitevely the way to go!

If you are to go on accutane... try that FIRST! I wish i knew that alternative treatment earlier in my life...

W

wheelin&dealin

but i was still having problem where hair grow (beard near the mouth and jaw): I even stop shaving thinking it will help the skin relax and it was worse.
Try using Jojoba Oil as an aftershave/moisturizer. I use it and I've seen unreal results. Your skin will tend to dry out from all the B5 that you take and this will help restore the moisture.

You're probably thinking "Won't oil on my skin break me out?"

Nope! Not this kind of oil. It doesn't do anything but make your skin look better. Trust me.

Kanadasutra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Try using Jojoba Oil as an aftershave/moisturizer.
You dont have to convince me about the oil.. tea tree oil was working fine.. but the smell is too strong... Dont even think to sleep with a girl with that on your face...!

Ironicaly, even with a oily skin, i always had dry skin problem especially in winter... That's why benoxyl was no more a solution...
Drying acne and keeping moisture.. not an easy task!

And hopefully not impossible!

Thanks for the tip! I will surely try that.