Question about Rippetoe's program

Waking Up

Don Juan
Reaction score
First off, I'm a skinny guy bulking up and doing the tradional Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift thing one day and the Squat, Row, Military Press another day without the optional side excercises that the program suggests, 3x a week.

This seems a lot less then when I went 5 or 6 days a week doing isolated muscle groups. I was reading this thread http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135564721&page=8 and it talked about how Rippetoe's neglects certain muscle groups like the biceps, etc.

Currently I am enjoying doing the core things 3x a week, this is a nice changeup from before, but I am wondering if it's ok to throw in some isolated muscle excercises on the offdays or if this ****s with the program? Basically I want input from people that have done Rippetoe's and gotten results, and what their optimal method was.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, I am just beginning to use one of Reg Parks (The Legend) 5x5 routine. I'm understanding more of the benefits of heavy compound training than isolation training.

So far I'm really enjoying it and see why guys back then had hard, muscular bodies. Cause back then, they werent think about "size". Back then they trained for strength which, really gave them impressive physiques.

AmIAFC

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends how hard you go with the miscellaneous workouts and how you schedule them. Everything is connected. For example, if you're performing isolated tricep workouts on Monday, and you're pushing yourself to exhaustion, then it'll affect your bench and shoulder routine the next day since triceps are secondary contributors to those upper body areas. Having sore triceps will have an impact on your shoulder/chest workouts. Same concept applies to biceps/back.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't complicate things. Just do the program as written.

Insouciant

Don Juan
Reaction score
I do Rippetoe's Starting Strength program 2-3 times a week (another day or two is reserved for cardio / recreational sports).

I am in the best shape I've ever been. Seriously. Do it.

It's the best way to develop your strength and physique in the shortest amount of time...

And I'm usually done in an hour, hour and a half too.

Usually program looks like this:

Tuesday: Squats, Presses, Deadlifts, Chin ups

Thursday: Squats, Bench Press, Rows, Chin ups

And that's it. Build your pounds up by 5 lbs everytime, and within 2-3 months you're a monster, with a solid physique to boot.

Lean as ****.