Question about lifting weights and losing weight

trent81

Banned
Reaction score
I'm about 202. I need to drop to 185 ASAP. I have been going to the gym and doing weights for over seven months. Minimal results. Tell me what I am doing wrong. 32 yrs old. Strong as an ox. But need to drop 17 lbs. Possible?

My current schedule;
Sun-Chest, Cardio
Mon-Biceps, cardio
Tue-Sh/Back, Cardio
Wed-Chest, Cardio
Thurs-Biceps, Cardio
Fri-Sh/Back/ Cardio
Sat-OFF

Don't tell me to do legs, I won't listen.

Cardio before Weights? Weights before Cardio? My diet is alot better, need your help with weights and cardio, not lifestyle. So let me know about what I should do at the gym to lose 17 to 22 lbs. Thanks, and god bless you fuvkers.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It'll take 3-5 months of training hard and eating smartly to drop 20lbs of body fat.

The good news is, you can add 5-10lbs of muscle pretty handily in this time as well.

Read threads in the sticky for more info.

Reaction score
Trent how do you do your cardio? Do you do low intensity, long duration cardio or very high intensity/interval/good duration cardio?

If you are eating good, I would increase the cardio duration to 30 minutes plus but do very high intensity with interval courses where you go fast then slow then fast again.

For weightlifting, just the general exercises and try to lift heavier than you did the last session when you go in.

Plus this is just my opinion, but working out six days is just not needed.

Sun-Chest, Cardio
Mon-Biceps, cardio
Tue-Sh/Back, Cardio
Wed-Chest, Cardio
Thurs-Biceps, Cardio
Fri-Sh/Back/ Cardio
Where's triceps, neck and LEGS in this workout? I know you said don't say anything about legs well buddy that's where MOST of your muscle is lol. When you lift weights you want to go for building muscle, that also burns fat.

I would do a Chest, Triceps, Shoulders, and Neck Day.
Then a Back, Biceps, Legs Day
Then the other days just that high intensity, interval, cardio. Try the Stairmaster, it's very good. Also do Abs on those days.

Another Day that might be good is an All Body day, where you work every muscle group.

Last edited:

trent81

Banned
Reaction score
I do biceps with triceps. So how about this?

Sun-Chest, Triceps Cardio
Mon-Biceps, Back Cardio
Tues- Shoulders Cardio
Repeat

I like going six days a week, keeps my mind off the coke. Need a schedule.

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If your goal is to strictly lose weight. It's a kitchen thing. BUT that being said I've seen some of my girls stay on the stair-masters,elliptical and treadmills for close to a hour a day and semi starve themselves with good results. Just takes a butt ton more time if your not willing to eat damn near perfect. Also the only over the counter supplement that I've seen work....Ali....but be warned....look up the side effects.

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
trent81 said:
Don't tell me to do legs, I won't listen.
Then you will not listen to any advice from anyone worth listening to.
You say you've been making no gains, Id imagine this is because you ignore good advice.

If you wont work your lower body, it would be safer and healthier for you to stop lifting all together and focus on diet and cardio to lose the weight.

For the record. Do squats twice a week, deadlifts once a week. With correct form and in addition to your current routine. To build muscle you must eat more. To build muscle while losing weight you must eat healthily and accept that weight lose will take time.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just curious... what's up with your apparent aversion to training legs? Is it because of injuries?

Quite frankly devoting 2 days a week to biceps and doing cardio every day is kinda strange, but to each his own.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you've been going to the gym for seven months with minimal results, something is wrong. Probably the fact you wont take good advice or have been doing the same thing for seven months.

If you just want to lose 17 lbs ASAP, it's going to be a diet thing. I'd say drop the weights for now, or just do light maintenance lifting.

Cut back calories and carb intake. Do lots of medium-intensity cardio.

trent81

Banned
Reaction score
leg injuries

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ok, should have mentioned that in the earlier post.
As this is ultimatly an annonomous forum, perhaps if you were to post specific details of your injuries, people more experienced/knowledgable than me would be able to point you in the direction of alternative lower body exercises that would suit you. Exercising the entire body is really important, somthing I wish Id learned years and years ago.

Other than that, advice as posted. More decent quality cardio, and watch the diet more carefully. Maby take up an intense sport of some kind?

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eat less than you burn. Use fitday.com to track everything you eat, and set your daily calorie max to 1500. You said you want to lose it as fast as possible, and I can assure you, you absolutely will at your size only consuming 1500.

Will that hurt? Oh sure... especially the first 3 days until your stomach shrinks and gets used to it. But you said you wanted to lose weight, and I'm telling you how.

You'll lose at least a pound a week on a 1500 calorie diet, and more than likely it'll be 1.5-2 pounds at your current weight. Exercise? Optional, but it'd only help. You'll calorie debt even sedentary at 1500.

How do I know this works? Done it about 8 times in my life so far and it worked every time. It's physics. It has to.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think losing weight is more in the diet than in the exercise. You burn less calories than you might think working out, and it makes you hungry. Keep working out, but do like azanon says and go on a 1500 calorie diet. You will definitely lose weight. It might be hard at first but once you realize you're not starving to death you get used to it.