Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Quagmire911 Lifting Journal

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yup thats him...minus the smelling salts. Now i wanna try it lol...sounds fun.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I-tallionStallion said:
Yup thats him...minus the smelling salts. Now i wanna try it lol...sounds fun.
If you watch the gym 80 video you actually see him pulling an ammonia cap from behind his ear and inhaling it deeply. You see it on pretty much every big deadlift he does.

Workout to follow...

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wednesday

Hmmm. Not that I had a bad day today, it is just that bench doesn't want to get past around 80kgx3. It is quite happy just to sit there like the lazy ***** that it is. Here it is:

Flat bench 3x3-75kg, 80kg, 82.5kg(PR?)(181.5lbs)-First set was easy. Second set was pretty challenging. Third set? I don't know. I got stuck somewhere I was fighting it, may have won. The spotter did what I told him not too and did a very brief one finger touch onto the bar. He was going on about how it was psychological and that the lift counts. His "finger" was the mental boost I needed. I don't know. I don't think it counts cause his skin made contact with the bar. There was a chance I would have got it, I'll put a question mark infront of PR anyway. It's on the fence.

Hammer grip D.B. floor press-2x10-20kg(PR)-This felt good. Quite challenging. Will try and up the weight next week.

Military press-2x5-45, 50kg(PR)-The last set was HEAVY. Made it an no more. Might go for six instead of an increase in weight. Could use my wrist weights I suppose and move up 2lbs.

Kroc rows-2x10-42.5kg(PR)-This weight was noticeably lighter and easier than 2 weeks ago. Seem to have made a lot of progress here very quickly. Moving it away from deadlift day might have been the trick.Will up the weight next week.

Chinups-1x10-Need to do some form of this. Went for as many reps before form started to break down.

Have to say I was pretty wiped after this. Didn't help that the gym was like a furnace, very draining. Bench is getting pretty sad now to be honest. Like the squat did it has a problem. On the 3rd of October I hit 80kgx3 and here I am now questioning whether I can do 82.5kgx3 four months later. That is piss poor. I also notice that my left shoulder was giving me bother on the last two sets today and my mid back on the last set. I was doing some deep massage on those areas so it could be something to do with that. Will see how it feels next week.

To be honest the weight didn't feel that heavy off the chest, there was a certain point it just became a ton. I will need to get a video of me doing a near max set to see where that point is. Unfortunately the last time I tried rack pressing my bottom end strength suffered. I think this is because I was using db's for lower end strength and my db numbers are quite a bit lower than barbell numbers. I am thinking perhaps a combination of full rom and rack pressing may be in order. Maybe some rack/board and then some full rom close grip. Will need to get a video though. I am thinking speed may be an issue as well. It would make sense there is a weakness somewhere. That would explain why 75kg seemed quite reasonable yet only a few kg more is so much harder. For reference, I seem to have weaknesses off the chest and somewhere around mid point, but the second is the biggest problem. Also, my left side is a bit weaker than my left side on a lot of lifts.

Here is me doing 70kgx1, please let me know what you think of the form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeiiX98g9JY

Will try and get a near max set next session on video, then hopefully this plateau can be torn apart. I f****** need to be over 200+ dammit.

Anyway that is it for today, until next time...

Quagmire

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can't really tell if your form is bad or not..I don't think anyone can..your shirt is to baggy so I can't see your shoulder blades, but you shouldn't need anyone to tell you about your form. How did your shoulders feel ?? did you have the bar across your nipple line ?? Was your chest pumped ??

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Wednesday
The spotter did what I told him not too and did a very brief one finger touch onto the bar. He was going on about how it was psychological and that the lift counts. His "finger" was the mental boost I needed. I don't know. I don't think it counts cause his skin made contact with the bar. There was a chance I would have got it, I'll put a question mark infront of PR anyway. It's on the fence.
its psychological trust me...that finger there makes you work harder. For me though its only when i'm struggling i want the finger there. others hands in front of my face distract me when i'm trying to lift. Plus I have a buddy i work out with (lifts weight as you at 155 lbs) give me a lift off. Helps save energy for the rep.

For form...it looked decent to me. I go as explosive as i can on my reps when pushing up - probably a bit faster than you (obviously i have to get a video up of me doing it to show you haha)...but its hard to accomplish when its so friggin heavy. You look good dood to me. :up:

btw...the music and guy with the cheese shoes in the background would seriously distract me from working out :D

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bar needs to be lower in the rack. you're losing tension when taking the barbell out of the rack. Put the upright one position lower next time.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeh man, you see what I have to put up with :cuss: He was actually a bit better, the other guy in there today takes his top of sometimes and poses in the mirror. *Sigh*

I didn't really need a lift off for the 70kg, that was my last warm up set. When I am doing my worksets I get a lift off though. I think speed may be an issue...Some of the guys on IA's thought the form looked good too.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Will need to get a set where it is 80kg+ now that I know form is good. Then I can see the what the problems are.

Edit-Mehdi, I am aware of this as well. This is why I get a lift off on all worksets. Thanks for the input.

Mad Manic

Banned
Reaction score
Next time you do Bench, warm up to and including 70 kg for a double. Then try 85 kg and see how many reps you do. Do 2/3 sets on 85 then another on 80 and another on 70 to finish off. On all sets, do 1 extra rep with your spotter.

MM

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Saturday

Everything felt heavy today. CNS probably having an off day. Here it is:

Sumo deadlifts-1x3-155kg-This felt like I ton. Was having problems locking the weight out. Was leaning over the bar too much. Tried to fix this in set two.

1x2-160kg-Weight still felt very heavy. Lockout felt a bit better as I tried to stay more upright. Think my legs are stronger than my back in the movement.

1x1-165kg-Again this felt quite heavy. I am thinking to perhaps incorporate some rack deads in the next few weeks to help with lockout. I seem to be able to get the weight off the ground quite well just nearish the top it becomes harder.

Wide stance low box squats-2x3-95kg-Felt like a ton. Very slow reps.

Squats 1x3-105kg-I was aiming for five here but I called it a day at three. The same problem I have been having where the weight goes forward happened again. After the box squats and sumo's I won't have been in peak condition anyway not to mention everything feeling heavy anyway. I lowered it to 100kg and felt the hamstrings come into play better, so I will probably do a set with 100kg next week and see how many reps I can get. Probably better to keep the weight a bit lower here because of all the other low rep stuff.

Assisted GHR's-3x5-Not much to say, challenging as ever. Will just keep bashing away.

Grip work-Brought my Captains of Crush No.1 along:
Right hand:1x5 1x5 1x4
Left hand:1x4 1x3 1x2

And that was it. Tore a callous on my left hand doing sumos. As I say everything felt really heavy but I expected it too coming off a deload. I feel like squats have potential again but doing them after deads will limit them. Will probably use a lower weight and go for more reps. Not much else to say, hopefully that 400+ dead is on the horizon but I don't see it in 3 weeks if I have more sessions like today. However I will wait and see how next week goes before jumping the gun, until next time...

Quagmire

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
And that was it. Tore a callous on my left hand doing sumos.
Quagmire
ah god that happened to my friend. Very gross and looked painful. Screwed up some of his other lifts the following week.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wasn't too bad, would be able to lift on it at the moment. I was lucky.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tuesday

Had a good today today, felt strong. Today was the second time I have not eaten my usual 3 slices of toast+4eggs+oj+whey before a workout and both times I have felt more productive and stronger. Today it was 6eggs+mayonnaise+oj+whey. I am going to continue to try this out on workout days to see if it has something to it. Anyway, here it is:

Bench-80kgx3(176lbs)-Nearly had the 4th rep and It was touch and go whether I would have got it or not. The spotter took away that possibility though...I have a video of this set. To me the 4th attempted rep suggests my right side was weaker here, which would be strange. Not sure though. Edit-Having watch it a couple of times I am now thinking that what is happening is: When the bar comes up my right is stronger so it slants right so that that side can take more weight to compensate for the weaker left side. This would make sense.

92.5kgx0(203.5lbs)-Didn't like the last video so much for showing my sticking point so I thought I would try this out. Got it off the chest this time and I feel I am a few weeks away from being able to do it. This shows the sticking point a lot better than the other video. I reckon I am at 90kg or thereabouts for a 1RM, I wasn't fresh for this either. A few weeks and it is mine...

65kgx12(PR)-Following SB's 80% downset here to see how it works for me. Started really killing at 8 reps but I kept going. I had another one or so in the tank but SB says to go until technical failure and I reckon any more reps would have been sloppy. So I left it at that. I also wouldn't usually have attempted the 92.5 before this so I may have got another one or two.

40kg 5x3-Speed work.

Military press-50kg 1x5-I feel this is too heavy after the benching so I decided to go with seated DB pressing.

Seated D.B press-15kgx12-Not done these in a long time and I loved them when I did. Will probably use this and go for something like 2x10. This is near my PR on this set.

Kroc rows-47.5kg-1x6, 1x5 (PR)-I think these are the heaviest dumbbells in the gym. So I will have to start going for rep PR's and may switch to t-bar rows. Pity.

Chinups-1x10-Just as hard as last week. Nearly failed on 10 and it was probably more of a cheat rep if I am being honest.

And that was it. Here are the bench videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1XbTaUTacU -80kgx3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=napS3dG9CtY -92.5kgx(f)

Let me know what you think guys. Too me the sticking point seems to be 3-4" above chest level. So I will need to train accordingly for that. Some kind of rack pressing coupled with full rom to maintain off the chest. Will need to be careful not to do too much though. I'll think about it in the next few days. Something like bench 1x3, then the downset and then rack pressing 2x5(small pause), then the other stuff. I think that would work. I have worked out how to make a ghetto rack using athletic steps and squares and I think I can make it work for both full rom and sticking points. Hopefully this will mean I don't need a spotter anymore as they irritate me when they help too much. I am also going to use this setup for good mornings from now on, tried it today and it worked perfectly. This way I'll be able to push more as I know if I were to fail it would be alright.

Anyway that is it for today, until next time...:up:

Quagmire

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay that spotter reallly got on my nerves...you could have had it on your own but he immediately pulled the weight off of you on both videos at the end. Tell him next time its okay to put your hands underneath the bar but don't push. Usually mentally i can get it because of that.

Interesting diet before you workout...why toast as your pre-carb? And why just Oj as your precarb today?

Other than that congrats on a good day. Gotta love those ;)

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I-tallionStallion said:
Okay that spotter reallly got on my nerves...you could have had it on your own but he immediately pulled the weight off of you on both videos at the end. Tell him next time its okay to put your hands underneath the bar but don't push. Usually mentally i can get it because of that.

Interesting diet before you workout...why toast as your pre-carb? And why just Oj as your precarb today?

Other than that congrats on a good day. Gotta love those ;)
I'd probably have got the 80kgx4, wouldn't have got the 92.5x1 though. I told him specifically only help if the weight is going down. Hopefully I'll be able to use that ghetto rack setup whilst doing full rom bench.

I have toast and orange juice because they taste good heh. I think the toast is the biggest problem as it is processed and ****. The orange juice is 100% non-concentrate nothing added etc. And usually I work out after the first meal so that is usually my first meal.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
shaunuk said:
MM, it's hard to tell just from watching the vid whether the bar touches Quag's chest or not because he's arching, so you can't actually SEE his chest. So why are you sure it doesn't touch mate?

Looks good to me, I have all confidence in you quag ;)
Thanks.

He is right though it doesn't touch my chest, it touches right at the top of my upper abs...

To say it is 4" from full ROM is just being a f***** moron. It is full ROM. Excerpt Dave Tate:

"Try to push the bar toward your feet. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, right? Then why in the world would some coaches advocate pressing in a "J" line toward the rack? If I were to bench the way most trainers are advocating (with my elbows out, bringing the bar down to the chest and pressing toward the rack) my barbell travel distance would be 16 inches. Now, if I pull my shoulder blades together, tuck my chin and elbows, and bring the bar to my upper abdominals or lower chest, then my pressing distance is only 6.5 inches. Now which would you prefer? If you want to push up a bar-bending load of plates, you'd choose the shorter distance."

EFFORT, XX, Tate, etc must all be wrong of course.

Keep on badgering MM, discrediting yourself further with every post you make.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, get into the power rack for benching, rack the bar a little bit lower, put the safeties just below chest height, and kiss goodbye to lousy spotters.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Dude, get into the power rack for benching, rack the bar a little bit lower, put the safeties just below chest height, and kiss goodbye to lousy spotters.
Oh and yeh I ain't stupid heh. Gym doesn't have a power rack...Although as I say, I think I figured out a way the other day to make a ghetto rack.