Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Purpose of School?

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
School has been a total waste of time for me. Ihaven't learned anything useful, like how to make money, or what careers best fit me. I've learned meaningless facts and theories that dont do a darn thing for my wallet.......... Im about to graduate and still dont understand how education will make me a better employee.... Im completely lost as to where I will be in the next year.....

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^ what did you study?

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
political science

wanted to attend law school, but I have changed my mind.. I'd shoot myself if I had to endure another semester of academia.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm sorry man, this might seem kinda rash but what in ****s sake made you choose that? Seriously, what kind of jobs do you expect to get with a politcal science degree?? It's just crappy unless you want to go into politics, or have what it takes to do law.

Political science is just another of those bull**** crappy ass courses [Arts/philosophy etc] that will get you nowhere. It so ****ing typical that students today choose a crappy ass easy subject, and then start *****ing about not finding jobs. WHAT THE HELL DO THEY EXPECT!!!???

A friend of mine, a totally retard btw, got a bachelor in social anthropology and now he can't find a job. Duuuh!! ****ing moron.

/rant

And LMFAO if you thought you would learn how to make money in a POLITICAL SCIENCE course.
:crackup:

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
dude Iknew that study poli sci wouldnt teach me how to make money: just like I know studyinf business, economics, or finance will not teach me how to make bank. School only provides a small percentage of students the requisite skills to be useful in society.... I think ppl pick their major based on their talent level........I'm a generalist, fairly untalented, but make good grades, but I wouldnt survive a semester as a chemistry major. Law school is my only option......... I hate how ppl want to rag on ppl for their major-----you either have the talent or not........Very few ppl do well in life on hardwork alone....

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You'd be surprised, one of my friends has a degree in....BREWING, and today he runs an extremely successful bar.

Anyway I must agree that school teaches a sense of militaristic obedience. On one hand its good because it gives you discipline, but on the other hand, the best way to succeed at school is to recite everything you've learnt.

There is little room for flexibility and creative thinking, because let's admit it, 90% of professors haven't even gone outside their books into the real world, so they can only teach what their books tell them.

It's like the Simpsons episode where Lisa stole all the teacher's handbooks, and the entire staff faculty was paralyzed :D

tristan22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know a lot of people who have a business in the construction field. They all make money because they scam the US government. THey do jobs for cash, underreport their income, and make frivolous tax right offs.

I'm actually mad at myself for not having an idea to get rich. Considering how gullible and ignorant the average person is, it should be easy to make a lot of money. Just look at all of the foolish people who have made the scumbags in Hollywood multi multi multi millionaires by going to their movies, buying their junk, and patronizing him/her every chance they get.

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
i might need to start a construction company..

belividere

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sifer,
I'm bumping this up after seeing your last post on "zombie dogs". You replied to a post I made refering to immortalizing yourself through ideas and thoughts. I didn't misunderstand Pooks ideas on this one. My thoughts and ideas are immortalized as an academic. I have routinely published in the top scientific journals and hold patents in my field.

I work in an academic department that was founded by a colleague of Safars. An academic who has over 300 patents and thousands of publications who has saved hundred of thousands of lives through his research. Both his work and Safars will be immoratilized by the millions of people who are cured of diseases, have been saved by CPR, or can live better lifes from their research.

No one knows who these people are though. I dont know why you hold contempt towards academics or the ivory tower but I would challenge you to name people outside of academics who have had such profound impact on humanity.

I cant see how selling real estate is more immortalizing than the academic who works behind closed doors pushing the envelope of technology or medicine. Most academics may not be household names but they are responsible for many household and modern conviences that we enjoy and take for granted.

TooColdUlrick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WORKEROUTER
I currently go to a university, and I have to say, sometimes it seems like school really does suck. A lot of the stuff we study is so impractical and really doesn't relate to real life.

Sure, I feel it is important to gain an understanding of the world and of life through studying various literatures, but I often get tired of all the bullsh*t deadlines, due dates, and assignments I have to do.

Anyway, does anyone else feel like this? Does anyone sometimes feel that school is just an utter waste of time?
you feel as though it's a waste of time because you have no concept of what an education can actually do for you.

i have a phd in econ, and a successful mgmt consulting company. i also teach exec management, these people are 25-40, middle and upper management, nearly all have degrees, and many have graduate degrees. they are back in school my friend. for what reason? they have seen the light--that is, what an education (or re-education) can do for them.

and all the deadlines, due dates, and assignments that you have to do? uh...that's what the real world is! better get used to it. i have deadlines, due dates, and assignments. the thing is, if i miss them i lose money and get a bad rep.

suck it up and bust your ass. that's all i can say to an 18 year old.

there's a chick that i'm banging who has a degree in DRAMA, from Columbia. she spent 100k to wait tables for the rest of her worthless life!

for god's sake, pick a degree that is actually marketable.

worthless degrees (for the dumb and/or lazy):

DRAMA!
poly sci
literature
english
psychology
sociology
anthropology
history
communications
ethnic studies

basically any degree that your typical wannabe college football or basketball player is majoring in.

while the above topics are interesting, i wouldn't bank on being able to cut even a decent living off any of them. if you like these topics, at a maximum, MINOR in them or better yet, pursue them on the side.

if you plan on eating cat food for the rest of your life, by all means, go for any of the above.

TooColdUlrick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pook
But you will never be able to become rich as an employee (unless you are a super-celebrity) or financially free.

i beg to differ. in my circles nearly everyone is an "employee". this would include attorneys, investment bankers, hedge fund managers, private equity, venture capital, partners at major consulting firms, big time real estate developers, execs at major companies, etc...

all of these people are highly educated, formally educated. i would include myself in that mix. BS Finance; BS Economics; MS Mathematics; MS Economics (a freebe); PhD Economics.

i challenge anyone out there to tackle Stochastic Optimal Control Theory on their own. can't make any money with this knowledge? hmmm...talk to some people i know who work in the abritrage department of a first tier I Bank. they get paid base + bonus, the latter is often 20x the former. they are "employees".

i have a bud who has a masters in theoretical physics. worthless degree? he's at an investment bank pulling in a couple mill a year doing currency arbitrage--using his math background.

i have another colleague who has a degree in english from Harvard. he worked his way up to partner in a vc firm. this employee cashed out a cool $100 million.

because of their education they are way ahead of the curve--these people know their sh!t--big time. would they be where they are without the education? maybe some, but the general answer is, nope. wouldn't even get in the door.

but at the same time, they have the street smarts, as they say. bullshi++ing the bullshi++ers--and better. transferring other peoples money into their pockets. smart money grabs dumb money, etc.

some of these cats pull in $10 million a year. vc, private equity, hedge funds, more still. they are "employees".

there are dumb people making millions. there are smart people making dirt. there are people making billions from SELLING FUKKING WATER! AND DIRT! AND AIR!

many, many, many, people go through the "employee" ranks, learn the business, then cut off on their own and make a ton of money taking the clients with them. there are people, such as myself, who have never been an employee.

we always joke amongst ourselves that, "we are pimps". we have a bunch of ho's working for us, making us money. but treat 'da ho's proppa.

lastly, after scanning through these posts, i have confirmed what i already know...20 year olds are very naive. that's ok though, i said the same damn thing that most of you are now saying, when i was 20. but your chances of becoming rich are far greater if you have an education, than if you don't. if you choose DRAMA, forget it--you are in cat food for life territory.

BrWnSugaMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate at the University of Texas at Austin. For you guys who know anything about schools and great cities in which to attend schools, you will know that UT Austin is a top school in nation. UT Austin has both a great Business program and a great Psychology program to name just a few.

Business vs. Liberal Arts

I am disappointed in the people who put down liberal arts degree (i.e. Psychology, Philosophy, English, etc), but favor a business degree.

From my experience, college students fall into two groups: degree-passionate vs. degree-nonpassionate.

A college education is what YOU make of it. Degree-passionate students major in what they are truly passionate about, such as Business, Philosophy, Psychology, and English. These students are passionate about what they study and do extremely well in school. In contrast, degree-nonpassionate students pick a major that they are NOT passionate about and only pick a certain major because they think it will provide money in the future or because it is an easy major. These people do not do well in their selected major because they are not passionate about it and thus do not earn good grades. It is difficult to consistently earn good grades in a major that you are nonpassionate about. These same people go into Business, Philosophy, Psychology, and English just like the degree-passionate people. All majors consist of degree-passionate and degree non-passionate people.

The only way to be successful in any major is to be passionate. Degree-passionate people go on to succeed in whatever they major in, but degree-nonpassionate people do not. This applies to both liberal arts degrees and business degrees.

To be successful with a liberal arts degree, you MUST go on to graduate school. Graduate schools are very competitive in that they weed out the degree-nonpassionate people from the degree-passionate people. There are many more degree-nonpassionate people than degree-passionate people. This is why you see a lot of liberal arts degree holders being waiters and having other less desirable jobs. The majority of people who graduate with an undergraduate liberal arts degree will not go on to be successful in their chosen field because they are nonpassionate about the degree and chose it because it was easy.

There is a similar situation with business degrees. Degree-passionate business degree holders go on to be successful while degree-nonpassionate business degree holders go onto work in jobs below their skill level because they did not do well in school. The degree-passionate business holders have taken the best jobs. When major businesses look for employees they are thinking, “I have $X to spend on the best person I can get.” Merrill Lynch will hire the degree-passionate business majors who graduate with honors in their class, while the degree-nonpassionate degree holders go on to less desirable jobs.

Thus, it is not a question about a business degree being “better” than a liberal arts degree; the question is why did you pick the major you picked? Are you degree-passionate or degree-nonpassionate? There are degree-passionate and degree-nonpassionate people in both types of majors and thus successful and unsuccessful people in both liberal arts and business.

“Sugaman, if what you say is true then why do people look down more on liberal arts degrees than business degrees?”

Simple. A business degree is a “safer” route than a liberal arts degree if you are degree-NONpassionate. It is much easier for a degree non-passionate business major to get a decent job related to their major than it is for a degree non-passionate liberal arts major to get a decent job related to their major. However, most people fail to realize that in both cases, the degree-nonpassionate persons are extremely unhappy with their jobs and live a meaningless existence because they both work full-time jobs that they never wanted in the first place.

In contrast, the degree-passionate liberal arts majors and the degree-passionate business majors love their jobs. Degree-passionate liberal arts majors go on to produce amazing research, gain tenure, become psychotherapists, and make good money doing what they do. They may not make as much as degree-passionate business majors, but they are just as happy if not more, and they make more money than both degree nonpassionate liberal arts majors and degree-nonpassionate business majors. Degree-passionate business majors go on to enjoy their lives because they make coin doing what they set out to do.

MicCheck1-2

Don Juan
Reaction score
There is no purpose of school. Go out and get that money.

DjDreamer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The purpose of school in a capitalistic society is to make educators richer.

Think about it...

No professor would tell you how you can get a good value on an education... no professor would tell you to go register with a cheaper school... no professor would tell you that you're better off working full time instead of providing them with a paycheck via tution...

Ivy Leauges are experts at getting wealthy off of the knowledge hungry poor man... they sell prestige...

TheCalmGuy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Since you've already told us which are the worthless degrees such as drama, social anthropoly, psychology, art and stuff like that. What do you guys think are worthy degrees to get and you will easily find a job afterwards with that degree?

DjDreamer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Worst mistake you could ever make is to major in something based upon the availability of jobs after you graduate...

NEWSFLASH!!! College does not guarantee you a job... what it does is it helps you to specialize in what you are passonate about... now if you are passionate about money then you might as well major in Finace...

Interpol

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TheCalmGuy
Since you've already told us which are the worthless degrees such as drama, social anthropoly, psychology, art and stuff like that. What do you guys think are worthy degrees to get and you will easily find a job afterwards with that degree?
-Any engineering degree (especially Biomedical Engineering)
-Accounting
-Finance

I would also avoid:
-Marketing

sifer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by belividere
You replied to a post I made refering to immortalizing yourself through ideas and thoughts. I didn't misunderstand Pooks ideas on this one.
I believe I said "perhaps" which implied perchance.

My thoughts and ideas are immortalized as an academic. I have routinely published in the top scientific journals and hold patents in my field.
Awesome work belividere.

I dont know why you hold contempt towards academics or the ivory tower but I would challenge you to name people outside of academics who have had such profound impact on humanity.
I'm not sure I came off as a hater toward the academics but if I did, I'm sorry.
However, there are many who outside of the academic have made profound impact on humanity. While maybe not in the field of medicine but many in technology, steel and metal industry, etcetc.

How about...

Ted Turner, Leonardo DiCaprio (haha, just joking :crackup: ), John D. Rockefeller, Alexander Graham Bell, Malcom X, as some examples.

I cant see how selling real estate is more immortalizing than the academic who works behind closed doors pushing the envelope of technology or medicine.
You see, the thing is, I'm not pushing real estate down other's throat.

I preach and will continue to preach to you and many others who think like you to pursue your passion.

Georg Wilhelm Hegel has said this, "Nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion."

I love real estate since I was 13 and there's nothing more better than seeing a house sold to a happy couple (or single!) like you.
If you wanted to know, I was pressured at the same age to pursue another course, namely to be a lawyer or doctor and still am. I'm also pressured to marry.

And in my head, the biggest question that goes is, "to you? Or to me?"

Baseball05

Don Juan
Reaction score
See, a lot of things we do in school can be classified as "busy work" and what not. Which I strongly agree with. Though, what we get out of school is the ability to analyze and solve problems. The information we learn is the variables (x, y, b) that we plot in the equation for our life.

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As another academic, I'd like to reiterate what was said by a few posters above.

Academics do their work and typically only receive (and expect) recognition from others in their field.

The work they (we) do can have a profound impact on society. Yet the contribution is rarely understood or recognized in the popular press. That's fine, though, because Joe Reporter would probably misreport the details of the work anyway, and praise from other people that live and breath our work is the most satisfying kind.

That said, a lot of promising and practical discoveries have little immediate impact on society because someone not versed in research will find the work uninterpretable. That's a shame.

Point is, if you're passionate about an area of study and you pursue your interest beyond a BA/BS, you can in fact do great things. You just probably won't be famous outside of a world-wide community of nerds.

Edit: Oh, and BrownSugarMan, I do in fact love what I do. That's worth more than a tripling of my salary. Your post above seems dead on.

Last edited: