Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Protein vs. Calories

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Which is the key of weight gaining and getting stronger in weight lifting? In another words, which one I have to focus on getting more on? Also, is
http://www.intense-workout.com/weight_gain.html
a good info on weight gaining and improve lifting in the gym? Is there any better source? I am very serious about making progress, it'sa goal I'm setting right now.

Blowfish

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think its a combination of both, you need protein for muscle recovery and growth, and you need a the right amount of calories to gain weight... I read somewhere that you should multiply your weight by about 18 (correct me if wrong), to find out your bulking calorie intake.

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
did you both to search because this has been on here like 50 000 times except the question makes more sense, why would you got protein vs calories. proteins have calories, so do fats and carbs....:crackup: all it takes is 1 second to research it on a reliable website and then you dont get 14 different answers with each one being only about 90% right.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Answer, both.

Carbs spare protein for muscle building activity and energy for workouts.

Protein builds the muscle and keeps you in positive nitrogen balance and an anabolic state.

Healthy Fats, such as EFA's and Fish oils (omega 3 and 6), provide necessary fats for dissolving of required vitamins and hormone production/regulation.

When ADDING weight, ask yourself, if you have to down 500 calories PER day more, where should they come from?

1. Carbs.
2. Fats.
3. Protein.

There's only 1 which will benefit you and not lead to too much damage in excessive consumption, and that's Protein.

By that calculation, you'd eat 125 grams more, which equals the 500 extra calories per day. PLUS, you must consider your basic demands which are 30-60 grams. Equaling nearly 200g of protein per day. I double that, mostly.

At 350grams, it's about 1500 cals, then the rest are carbs, and fat.

Thing is, you have to EAT for who you want to BE, not who you are. MOST don't grow because they only eat for their current size. However, to be bigger, you must eat bigger and not be afraid of it. Then, when you cut back to cut down, you take your weight and the fat you want to lose and go from there.

I didn't grow on 200 g of protein. Nor did I grow on adequate calories. When I accepted a little fat, growth came easily, because I had energy to lift and lift big.

What do you want more, size/strength or to be thin trim?

You can have both, once you accept 1 goal.

I advocate 2g protein x 1lb of bodyweight. Sounds like overkill, but since DC stated it, it's worked. And you have to eat MORE calories thant you burn to grow. Nobody knows DEFINITIVELY what works and what doesn't as it relates to Protein, so I go more is better and have seen more gain than I had in my life since focusing and reading more.

A-Unit

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A-Unit, if I was a gay, I'd want to marry you. Your advice is perfect - though (unsaturated) fats are also a good source of extra calories once you've got your protein down.

As for the fat gaining, it can be kept to a safe minimum with cardio, carb cutoffs, green tea etc - and stuffing yourself with food and looking/feeling pregnant doesn't mean that bulge is permanent, take a couple of days off with 'normal' eating and you'll lean down considerably. If after normal eating you're still fat, you've got a problem, lol.

Just as an aside, I'm gonna experiment with 2.5g protein and see where I go .. controlling bodyfat has always been an issue with me so I'm thinking maybe the elevated thermogenic effect would help me out here. Cost has held me back from trying this before but I'm gonna go all out. And if that works, how about 3g!

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warboss Alex
A-Unit, if I was a gay, I'd want to marry you. Your advice is perfect - though (unsaturated) fats are also a good source of extra calories once you've got your protein down.

As for the fat gaining, it can be kept to a safe minimum with cardio, carb cutoffs, green tea etc - and stuffing yourself with food and looking/feeling pregnant doesn't mean that bulge is permanent, take a couple of days off with 'normal' eating and you'll lean down considerably. If after normal eating you're still fat, you've got a problem, lol.

Just as an aside, I'm gonna experiment with 2.5g protein and see where I go .. controlling bodyfat has always been an issue with me so I'm thinking maybe the elevated thermogenic effect would help me out here. Cost has held me back from trying this before but I'm gonna go all out. And if that works, how about 3g!
3g per pound is too much.

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I was to eat 3g of protein per lb bodyweight, that would be roughly 630g protein a day,or roughly 2500 calories from protein alone.

Holy sh!t LOL.