Protein powder - Before or after workout?

HGKnights

Don Juan
Reaction score
Usually after a workout is when I typically like to drink my protein shake, but I've been thinking about making the switch to prior.

what is your opinions on the matter, is it a good idea, bad idea or does it really make any difference what so ever?

U

user43770

You should have protein in your system when you lift. I would drink a shake about 30 minutes before. Go ahead and drink another one after if you like.

GameTime76

Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone will have a slightly different answer to your Question. IF you like to workout in the morning when you feel the most fresh. I'd recommend eating breakfest first. To fuel your body. Wait atleast one hour after eating before you start your training. Then right after your workout have your protein drink. Then a hour and a half or so later you eat lunch and so on.

I'm currently using 100% Whey protein powder I purchased from my local GNC. I like to mix it with milk right after my workout.

Now IF you want to know a YES or NO to whether you should take it before or after. TRY THIS: 1 week have your drink before your workout. The next week do it after. Write down if you felt more energetic, stronger or if it made no difference.

Powerofmindset

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've taken it just before, just after, and both before and after. Not sure if any of this matters but i'll post it. I'm a hard gainer. I'm 6'2" and was 160lbs before i started to lift. I'm currently 180lbs and still have a lot of work to do. I did a LOT of research with what supplements to take and to answer your question this is what I found out:

(this can be different for anyone, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT)
If i take a "weight-gainer" protein shake before hand...roughly 1-2 hours before i noticed a better increase of reps/weight in the gym. I then would use a recovery shake 30mins after my workout.

Weight-gainer protein shake = Cytogainer (Chocolate malt)
Recovery shake = Optimum Nutri 2:1:1 Recovery (Chocolate)

I also take other supplements but those are the most important by far.
I also add some scoops of CytoCarb in both shakes just to up my carb intake.

Nik TPT

Don Juan
Reaction score
I drink mine first thing in the morning and after a workout.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After.

NorwegianDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Before. Im sure Ive seen evidence for that the body is only able to consume 10g/hour, thus it will still be in your system post workout.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I get them 1 hour before and right after, with water and nothing else before and with simple sugars right after.

The first one in order to fuel muscles and avoid catabolism when pushing hard, the second with the sugars to recover the energy used from muscles and then help the muscle to repair themselves.

I take both with water in order to make sure they are absorded faster.

GameTime76

Don Juan
Reaction score
P.S. There are slow acting proteins and fast acting proteins. Slow acting should probably be taken before and Fast acting after.

scien-ITA

Don Juan
Reaction score
Both. Depending on your diet and number of meals during the day. I space my meals out so I eat every 3 hours, so I will either have a high protein meal 30 mins before working out (or a protein shake if I'm in a hurry) and then one after the workout.

Connor

Reaction score
I drink mine in the morning and after a workout.Protein shake is good supplement.