Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Pros/ cons of trailers homes

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im thinking about one day buying a trailer, a double wide or sumthing. I dont want to get saddled in with a 30 yr mortgage on a fixed house. My question is what are the pros and cons of trailer homes? I also want to know how nice can they get? I have seen some pics and some look quite modern inside. How much do they cost generally? Is it a good alternative to a condo or a house, for a young person who is debt phobic?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wish I didn't know so much about this.

Trailers have gotten a lot nicer in the past few years. Now they have real r12 insulation, 2x4 walls, vinyl siding, and a pitched and shingled roof. The 1980's trailer I grew up in was nice for its time, but it had none of that. You can get those features in trailers made in the past fifteen years or so. And I recommend them as minimum required features.

But trailers are still trailers. I actually had a job delivering new ones last year. They are meant to look nice, at least for long enough to get people to buy them. But then later, you start to notice that everything is plastic and cheap, and as crappily made as they could possibly think to do it. Also, you can't have finished drywall, because it cracks when the trailer is on the road, so you have these annoying paneling strips to cover the drywall seams.

Tornadoes are the biggest problem. If you live in a trailer, an f1 will kill you. It happens all the time. You need a storm cellar or underground spot to hide.

If you buy one, get something at least a few years old, but not so old that it does not have the stuff I said you want. And pay cash if you can, or finance over a short term. Trailers are like cars, they tend to depreciate over time, but it's much faster when they are brand new.

Serialized3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember, when I was a kid and didn't know any better, I would hope that I drew the "trailer park" card in the board game LIFE because you only had to spend like 30k instead of 100k+ for a tudor or bungalow.

Anyways, I like to live in the hood, far away from the burbs or bougie downtown areas, so my rent in real life is pretty low.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I lived in a trailer park after I got out of the navy. It beat the ghetto! But not by much...but I lived in a pretty crappy one. It was older and got really cold during the winters.

Where I lived, Top of the Ridge Trailer Park in Bensalem PA, you could get a trailer for less than 30K at the time. You had a lot fee of about 350 a month at the time. So once you paid off your trailer you owned a living space and were paying less than an apartment rent for more room. So it was a great deal. Most of my neighbors were people who liked to drink hard and not work quite as hard (although just about all had jobs), guys who were living cheap in order to start a business, or families escaping Philadelphia.