Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Pre-show ads

bud_2005

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone else get peeved off like no other when you go to a movie at the scheduled time, pay $7.25, and then you have to sit through 15 minutes of commercials, and then another 10 minutes of previews. The movie theatre says the movie starts a 7:00, but it actually doesn't start til about 7:28. If we are going to have to see the same commercials I see at home, maybe I'll go download it on my computer for free. At least knock a couple bucks off the ticket price. I will now refuse to buy the pop "Fanta" because of repeatedly seeing their ad before movies. I almost forget that their food products are the biggest ripoff I've ever seen, do they wonder why people sneak food into the theatres.

I know I am not alone. I've read it newspapers that theatre audiences are dwindling and Hollywood can't figure out why. They are overpricing themselves out of the market. Anyone else feel my anger?

h2o

Banned
Reaction score
i pay like $6-6.50 around here.

but, to answer your question, no actually. yes, the fanta commercial and a few others get annoying after a while, but i love the extended sneak previews and trailers. i always try to be there early so i don't miss them.

it also depends what theatre you go to. some theatres don't have the commercials. although all of them have previews.

bud_2005

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I don't mind previews. The commercials are the ones making me unhappy.

StrangeButTrue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
9$ here. :(

I like the previews. I aim to get there just as the previews start and the commercials finish, but if you want a good seat, sometimes that's just not possible.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This reminded me of a thread I read over a year ago...

Originally posted by Deep Dish
I remember back in the eighties and into the early nineties, there were no commercials at all. Ah, I miss those days...When a movie is released, for the first four weeks the studios receive 80% of the revenues, and the theaters receive 20%. After the four weeks, the theaters can renew for another four week installment and receive 80% of revenues, though for most movies the theaters decide to drop the movie, because most movies perform poorly. Only in such blockbusters as Titanic, which the peak lasted twelve weeks, do theaters make fat cash. Considering also that a two-hour film costs $60,000 a copy in film prints, of which theaters must even take out insurance, the profit margins of showing films, in itself, is very low. Consider also tremendous rent which the theaters must also pay. The only way theaters can make money is through their food sales; if it was purely by ticket sales, theaters would break even, what with employee salaries, rent, utilities, etc.

The real rip off is on video and DVD sales. Studios automatically deduct 80% of gross sales before it is reported, so a DVD which the media reports as having made $200 million in sales, actually made $1 billion. This is a detriment to directors, screenwriters, and other creatives, whose life and retirement depends on residuals.
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53879

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bud_2005
Anyone else get peeved off like no other when you go to a movie at the scheduled time, pay $7.25, and then you have to sit through 15 minutes of commercials, and then another 10 minutes of previews. The movie theatre says the movie starts a 7:00, but it actually doesn't start til about 7:28. If we are going to have to see the same commercials I see at home, maybe I'll go download it on my computer for free. At least knock a couple bucks off the ticket price. I will now refuse to buy the pop "Fanta" because of repeatedly seeing their ad before movies. I almost forget that their food products are the biggest ripoff I've ever seen, do they wonder why people sneak food into the theatres.

I know I am not alone. I've read it newspapers that theatre audiences are dwindling and Hollywood can't figure out why. They are overpricing themselves out of the market. Anyone else feel my anger?
Wait, so you're telling me it never occurred to you to show up to the movie late just to skip the commercials? Here's your sign.

And the reason theater audiences are dropping is not because of the price. It's because of the lack of quality of movies coming out of Hollywood!

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I always turn up 5 minutes after the movie starts, so I miss commercials but get the previews.

Also the main reason for dropping cinema theatre audiences is due to home theatre systems. It costs $9 for a movie ticket, but only $0.50 for a DVD (if you rent with 4 friends). Watching a DVD at a friend's jazzed-out home theatre is way better. And free popcorn.

bud_2005

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Pre-show ads

Originally posted by MetalFortress
And the reason theater audiences are dropping is not because of the price. It's because of the lack of quality of movies coming out of Hollywood!
You are ignorant if you think price has nothing to do with it. Not everyone has wads of cash to spend. Right now the price is fine for the upper class and it starting to be too much for the middle class, which make up the majority of the population.

I agree there has been a lack of good movies. I'm so sick of Hollywood trying to be politically correct and trying to appeal to everyone. They show previews of a very scary looking movie, and then at the end of the preview it says it is a PG-13 movie. That means the movie is going to be toned down and not good. Alien vs. Predator is a good example. So is the Skeleton Key. But when they make a movie and not care what people think, it becomes a big hit (Wedding Crashers).