Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Pontification of the week

( . )( . )

Banned
Reaction score
Heres one.

Can any non crabs give me a logical answer as to why beards are discouraged from most workplaces today?

What are the reasons men are encouraged to erase their masculinity and why are women not made to follow suit and hide what makes them traditionally feminine, ie: possibly strapping boobs to her chest, cutting her hair off, being forced show armpit, leg, arm and lip hair?

I'm not really buying the "scruffy" argument any longer for some reason.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're not the only person at odds with this. Though the reasoning is a bit deeper then having your masculenity being taken at risk

Check out this article. Apparently the EEOC has taken issue with no beard policys in some places.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Men with beards are seen as more masculine, and therefore more possessing of masculine traits such as aggression. Forcing men to be clean-shaven with short hair feminizes them, since it effectively removes the appearance barrier between men and women. This gives the illusion of men being easier to control.

Clean shaven men with neatly trimmed short hair are therefore the most obedient of men. It disgusts me that more men don't realize this.

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just like long hair, you only find prohibition on beards in places that demand conformity and subservience, i.e. factory jobs, the military, etc. Beards and long hair are for independent men. Short hair and clean-shaven faces are for sheep!

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
seanchai said:
Just like long hair, you only find prohibition on beards in places that demand conformity and subservience, i.e. factory jobs, the military, etc. Beards and long hair are for independent men. Short hair and clean-shaven faces are for sheep!
Notice that prisoners are forced to shave their hair and faces to show that they are not even in control of their own appearance..

Slevin

Don Juan
Reaction score
doctoroxygen said:
Notice that prisoners are forced to shave their hair and faces to show that they are not even in control of their own appearance..
I shave my head and face because I like it. I think prisoners are forced to do it to prevent the spread of lice and fleas.

Two of my close friends have full beards and don't catch flack at work. I think as long as you look groomed it doesn't matter.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For the same reason i cant have my lip or eyebrow pierced.

The Truth

Banned
Reaction score
When you work for a company you represent them to the public and most companies want their staff to look smart and clean cut especially if they work with customers.

Why arent women asked to hide their sexuality? Simple! Because sex sells! Because a woman with accentuated breasts, long hair and make up is going to attract and win over male customers.

I'm not saying I agree with shaving beards. I have a goatee beard. But when you take a job you agree to their rules. If you dont like their rules dont take the job.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Um, since when did beards and long hair represent masculinity? Frankly, when I see a long-haired bearded man, I don't think he's masculine, I think he's a bum (or perhaps a serial killer).

I mean, would you trust some guy with $100 million if he had a scraggy beard, long dirty hair, and had an "all-natural" smell?

In fact, I think a clean-shaven man in a suit looks far more masculine than some homeless dude with long hair and lice-ridden beard!

Visceral

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I shave because my facial hair sucks.

Most of it's on my neck instead of my face.
It isn't very dense, so no matter how long I let it grow, you can still see through it down to my skin.
It grows in patches that don't connect to each other.
And worst of all, it looks and feels just like pubic hair.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
diplomatic_lies said:
I mean, would you trust some guy with $100 million if he had a scraggy beard, long dirty hair, and had an "all-natural" smell?
Uh, who said anything about scraggy beards and dirty long hair? It's a social misconception that these things are dirty. You can have clean long hair and a well-trimmed beard.

Taviii

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Silverback82

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I saw a statistic a long time ago that said about 50% of people or so don't trust a man with facial hair

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Social psychology research from the 90s indicates that men with beards are often attributed to be more intelligent, more dominant, and more secure than men without facial hair.

GirlCrazy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can any non crabs give me a logical answer as to why beards are discouraged from most workplaces today?
Depends on the job description. Most doctors I know have beards. Same with the engineers and college professors.

Any profession that encourages or at least accepts individuality / eccentricity wouldn't have any problem with it. My company doesn't care, and while the building itself has a dress code, the company doesn't.

I guess if you were a corporate executive, or had a career in sales, you'd see a lot of pressure not to wear one.

It also seems to have something to do with geography. If you work in some megatropolis (LA, new york, etc.), you'd have more pressure to fit in.

So the logical answer probably lies in the pressure to fit in, given the homogonized version of corporate culture right now. Executives are pressured to have an MBA and be youthful, agressive, clean cut, and well dressed. The corporate machine doesn't see a beard as well-groomed.

I normally wear a beard in spokane, and shave it down to a goatee when I go down to southern california every couple of months, because of the building's dress code.

( . )( . )

Banned
Reaction score
What have we here.

The Truth said:
When you work for a company you represent them to the public and most companies want their staff to look smart and clean cut especially if they work with customers.

I'm not saying I agree with shaving beards. I have a goatee beard. But when you take a job you agree to their rules. If you dont like their rules dont take the job.
Firstly I said no crabs, secondly if I wanted the safe P.C answer I would have turned to page xxx of any workplace agreement that already frowns upon beards...shutup.

Silverback82 said:
I saw a statistic a long time ago that said about 50% of people or so don't trust a man with facial hair
I saw a statistic that said 50% of statistics were untrue. Mind you constantly being told and shown (by lack of) that beards are "scruffy" and "unprofessional" somethings bound to stick amongst the sheeple.

diplomatic_lies said:
Using extremes to make a point? Not only chickish but weak and lame. The "dirty/scruffy" argument wont stick I already said that. Get a real opinion or dont bother.

oakraiderz2 said:
For the same reason i cant have my lip or eyebrow pierced.
Is it?

Other than the above I see most of you guys see the same flaws as I do, good stuff. I personally cant handle full beards for any longer than around 2 weeks because the itchyness drives me to distraction, but the option to have one in ANY future job I may want to take would probably be nice. Will my grandson be sporting high heels and a handbag to work? Scratch the handbag, hes already got that.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
T!tboy, it looks like you're not interested in opinions. You just want people to support your whining. I've noticed nearly all your posts are basically whines about the evils of society, the evils of women, etc etc.

If you were a real man, instead of whining on the Internet, you'd confront your boss. Ask him why he doesn't want beards, and if he isn't responsive, quit your job.

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
( . )( . ) said:
Will my grandson be sporting high heels and a handbag to work? Scratch the handbag, hes already got that.
You got a Grandson?

it said your 30 years old?

so you knocked her up when you ware 16, and then your doughter got knocked up when she was 14......let me guess, your from Alabama???

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
diplomatic_lies said:
T!tboy, it looks like you're not interested in opinions. You just want people to support your whining. I've noticed nearly all your posts are basically whines about the evils of society, the evils of women, etc etc.

T!tboy is the epitome of an EMO KID!

( . )( . ) said:
Uhhh society sucks so bad, ya know? Women are uhhh like b!tches and uhhh you shouldn't be nice to them and uhh anyone who disagrees are conformist crabs. Life sucks, man! If you don't agree with me then you are like brainwashed and stuff and you ain't uhhhhhuhhh smart as me and you suck!

My boss won't let me grow a beard! I'm like soo depressed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cljqEFLFHo