Persuasion for dummies

Beige

Don Juan
Reaction score

There I was... standing 12 feet from the edge of a 200 feet building... with a rope attached to my back.
My whole confidence disappeared.
- Guys, now I'm beginning to fear.
- Just go here - a guy pointed the edge - you'll hear "Ready, set, go", on "Go" you jump forward. Not to the left, not to the right, forward.
I made a small step in the direction of the edge and I froze.
- Sorry, I won't do this. - I wanted to quit
- Don't look down... Good. Now: a small step.
I did another small step. There was a guy standing behind my back holding me and not allowing me to back off. Finally my small steps led me to an edge. I was standing there watching clouds.
- Ready...
- No, not yet.
I backed off a step. After a while he convinced me to move closer again. I was standing for a minute on the edge when I heard it again..
- Ready...
- Set...
- Go!

Those guys were great persuaders, they managed to convince me to jump. They didn't argue with me, they didn't assure me that it was safe. They forced me to do small steps which ultimately led me to the edge.

When you want to persuade someone into doing something make him do small things first.

To give you a real-life example - let's imagine that you want to get a girls' phone # and she doesn't want you to give it to her. I personally would quit at this moment - if she doesn't want then it's her loss, but this situation clearly shows how this strategy works.

- So, what's your #?
- I'm sorry, I don't give out my number.
- Ok, so just take out your pen.
(she's smiling but obviously isn't going to take it out)
- C'mon, you don't have to write your #, just take out your pen.
(she gets her pen)
- Now, a piece of paper.
- C'mon, taking out a piece of paper did never kill anyone. Just a piece of paper, you don't have do write your #.
(she gets out a piece of paper)
- Now write down your name.

- Your rules don't forbid you writing your name, c'mon.
(she writes out her name and understands that it leads to the final question)
- And your phone #

(you may add: - You won't have to talk with me when I call if you decide not to.)

Persuading a person into jumping is a lot easier when he/she is already standing on the edge.

As I said - I wouldn't use this strategy in above situation because I think that it's amoral in this case but it clearly shows what's the idea and there are many other opportunities for using it. It even works when you want to force yourself to do something! "I'll just sit next to that girl" "I'll just ask her for a time" "I'll just continue conversation".

Go for it

legolas

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Persuation is one of my pet topics. I LOVE persuasion. The guys pushing you to the edge were doing so because they haven't got all day to convince you to throw yourself off the top of the building, so they have to coerce you step by step.

For me the word persuasion means literally "To induce sombody to WANT or desire doing something" The keyword being WANT!! What you were doing in your telephone # example, is not persuasion, it is coercion and usually results in wrong telephone numbers. Because what's the point of geting a girl's telephone number when she isn't eagerly awaiting your call? (Thanks DeepBlue for enlighteningme on this)

Beige

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dammit, I knew I'll get a response like that. As I said in my post, Twice, getting a # was just an example and I wouldn't use this method to get a girls number. I chose this example because it was the most vivid one that came to my mind, not the most real one.

When would I use this method? In cases when I see that someone wants to do something but he/she's blocking him/herself. I could force my friend to approach a girl this way because I know that he wants it but he's to afraid, but I'd never ask for a number in this way - It's too offensive in my opinion.

Thanks for correcting me, what I talked about was a coercion, not a persuasion.

Boner da Stoner

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bumpalicious

I love the style, it's just funning describing it to yourself :D

lol and telling her she doesn't have to do it subtley, but leading her through the exact steps of the process, it's perfect KBJ material, but untestable!! LOL I love irony.

Wee

Don Juan
Reaction score
You could definately use this for like chicks with boyfriends.

"Come on, it ain't a big deal I asked you to hang out not go ****ing around behind your boyfriends back.."

"Leaving and going back to my place is fine, I didn't say you had to do anything"

"We can cuddle a bit, it aint like he would ever know and it really isn't even cheating"

"A little kiss isn't going to make such a big difference.."

Etc.

Ya not those exact quotes but you get the picture. This **** can be applied to game EASY.

The Juan and only

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a great post with some interesting concepts..I can see it has some good potential and would be useful in certain situations (especially when she's trying to play those games - to see if she can control you).

However I wouldn't ever recommended using this technique in a way that seems needy. so be careful.:p

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nice stuff. I heard a story about a guy who had sex with a taken girl by telling her to 'just sit on it for a little bit' after she declined the initial advances

izza

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's amoral? That's not amoral to convince a girl to give her # to a stand-up guy!!

Mistic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This is creative and less predictable than what an average guy might do.