Perseverance - another masculine gem

Trader

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think we all know that girls have a weak will when encountering obstacles - they cry and give up at the drop of a hat, adopt the victim mentality, avoid introspection and responsibility

Real men persevere - as testified by this beautiful commercial. Boys give up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzvFAcbS0RE

No wonder girls find a man to be ridiculously attractive when he has this trait - girls themselves are devoid of it

Hemingway

Don Juan
Reaction score
Fall seven times, stand up eight - Japanese Proverb

In Japanese, a seven is similar to the symbol for defeat.

Trader said:
Real men persevere
... and don't whine about it. In this video the ball player Dwyane Wade is black... I've always been impressed that when a little black 3-year-old kid falls, he doesn't cry for mommy, he just gets up and keeps on trucking because he knows his momma isn't going to baby him.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you fall seven times, then you get up seven times, you're already up. How do you stand up again after that?

Trader

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desert Fox said:
If you fall seven times, then you get up seven times, you're already up. How do you stand up again after that?
If you view the commercial closely, after he has fallen down, and risen up for the 7th time, he *rises up* and dunks over everyone - that is the 8th time. Fall 7 times, get up 8. In basketball palance 'get up' means to jump high, often leading to a dunk.

In other words, once you get back up that 7th time, you finally overcame the obstacle, you persevered - and now the sky is the limit for you - and you rise up one last time UNHINDERED and achieve unbounded success (8th time)

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another way I can make sense of it is that we all started down and defeated. Then we get up, that's 1, etc.