Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

parents say go into trades -i say work

joe45

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ok some background on me

24 yr asian chinese old guy been going to school all my life since HS, first i went to HS upgrading to see if i could get in a college instuite that had higher grade expectations, finally i couldn;t make those expectations and like 2 yrs later signed up for a program at another college for computer tech 1 yr program, finish it -took some time as i had to repeat some courses but yes i graduated from it.
now i am almost finishing a 2 yr program at another college for business management, just need like 3-4 more courses and i am done.

ok heres the problem after my 2 yr business program , my folks for a reason want me to get into the trades-esp plumbing or refregration-since at the moment there is a big shortage in trade workers and they are making like 30-45/hr . there is jobs in it as thats what the news in the media say. my folks main focus of me doing the job is $$$ i believe thats all they say. dad is pretty much fixing plumbing in the kitchen and laudry-reading books from the library and askin me to help him with the light and teaching me-getting me interested.

i need suggestions- i been going to school all my life hardly ever worked or at all longest job i had was for 1 mnth. i don;t want to go into another career as a trade i already have 2-business and computers, i been going to school all my life. how do u tell ur folks this -they are controlling ppl, but want the best for u. i want to pursue a career with what i already have and not start a new one. if at all its just going be a waste of money and time for both parties-folks and me.but at the same time my folks don't want me to do mimum wage jobs-they think joe-ur 24 and not 18 u shouldn't be doing theese mcdonalds, ....minimum dead end jobs.
i really need help as to what to say to em. i just want a customer service rep job in a company and move my way up to management.
i turn 25 in dec-no more school for me- or career change.

iCY

Don Juan
Reaction score
well first thing you gotta make sure is that you can support yourself. if you do decide to take up the trades, you can still pursue your career later on in life when you can better handle it.

just my $.02, but then again, im not really old enough to be giving advice on jobs/life lol. this is just what i would do.
life comes first, even if that means making sacrifices to support yourself

coldcoal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The refrigeration trade has a lot to offer someone with a degree in computer science. A friend of mine is an HVAC mechanic and went to college for Computer science to break into controls automation. Essentially it is a career that combines trade and college, has much better job security than your standard computer programmer AND pays very well.

Something to consider.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're Chinese you should only work in the finance or accounting industry, otherwise your parents will disown you.

Actually just do what you love. Your parents will stop hating you when you become successful (and hopefully rich) at whatever field you choose.

Or alternatively speak to a career counsellor.

If you find that useless, talk to people in the industry. Both veterans and greenhorns.