Owen Wilson attempted suicide [Merged Threads]

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Victory Unlimited said:
Yo Troops,

On the subject of Owen Wilson, let us not forget that comedy has it's origin in tragedy. And no one KNOWS the absurdities, the inconsistencies, the FRUSTRATIONS of life quite like comedians (OR comedic actors).

It is probably this gift of spinning the paradoxes of life into LAUGHTER that also makes these people (along with many other artistic types) so open and vulnerable to falling prey to the "stalking" darkness that many call DEPRESSION.

So far, there are MANY things that I have experienced over the years that have NOT been easy, pleasant, happy, or SELF-SERVING. But when I look back on these events, SOME of them, I would NOT trade for anything in the world-----LEAST of all, the fleeting feeling of "happiness".

So significant were they in the shaping of who I am today...affecting the way I navigate through this world...steering me towards a future that I CANNOT predict, but am STILL filled with an inexplicable "hope" to see...

I have found life to be a collection of CONTRADICTORY TRUTHS. Selfishness and selflessness BOTH act as "guard rails" that guide us along the road of life in "the ways in which we should go".

There is a TIME to be selfish, and there is a TIME to be self-less. And how do we KNOW what time it IS? Well, our gut, our intuition, our depth of spirituality is most likely the intended VOICE of guidance that directs our paths-----IF we are able and WILLING to listen to it.

I believe that an inconvenient "truth" that FEW people will probably want to accept MIGHT be THIS:

Perhaps the MAIN purpose of this life is NOT to only be happy, but to instead, have a positive, meaningful IMPACT on the lives of OTHERS....

...to make a difference in a world of "INDIFFERENCE".

It would seem that it is USUALLY the people who are successful in THIS endeavor that are remembered fondly AFTER their passing...whether they be famous-----OR, what the "proud and puffed up" would simply call "ORDINARY".
HAHAHAHA. The guy "tried" to kill himself because of a WOMAN.

He is puzzy whipped. Most men are.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Come on guys...the guys tried to committ suicide, because like most ACTORS (and for that matter, MOST men)...he is an AFC.

And he was puzzy whipped.

If it was because of a "chemical" stuff...he would have killed himself when he used to be a struggling actor.

These famous guys are not different than other AFC men when it comes to dealing with women. They know that the average woman will want them because of their fame or $$$...so they try to find women that are at their social/economical/fame level. And when they finally do and think they found somebody that might be with them for who they are...to then turn around and see those women making up with other men...that's when they show their TRUE AFC colors.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If it was because of a "chemical" stuff...he would have killed himself when he used to be a struggling actor.
Not necessarily. If he started using or increased his use of drugs that screw up the brain after he became famous (like Britney), then a biochemical imbalance may have happened or worsened later.

I've been there (not drug use, but depression due to biochemical causes), and if such a biochemical imbalance is happening trying to overcome it with a psychological approach is like trying to put out a several acre forest fire with a squirt gun.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bonhomme said:
Not necessarily. If he started using or increased his use of drugs that screw up the brain after he became famous (like Britney), then a biochemical imbalance may have happened or worsened later.

I've been there (not drug use, but depression due to biochemical causes), and if such a biochemical imbalance is happening trying to overcome it with a psychological approach is like trying to put out a several acre forest fire with a squirt gun.
He did it because he wanted to get HER attention.

If he truly wanted to kill himself...he would have blown his head off.

tmpgstx

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, but did he not think about how it would affect his career and want the whole world to know he tried it?

Like with Terrell Owens in football, tried to overdose on pain pills. It probably isn't biochemical though with either, otherwise they just wouldn't 'bounce back' in a week or two, especially without treatment.

Stavrogin

Don Juan
Reaction score
Tantric said:
There are more and more cases of depression and mental instability in the US because the services to help those people are no longer affordable - mainly due to Reagan and his BS administration in the 80's.
Exactly. Owen Wilson cut his wrists because of Ronald Reagan.

styles07

Don Juan
Reaction score
sad but hopeful

the dude's the man...loved wedding crashers, royal.., and life aquatic...I know what he's going through though...my social life's been lacking lately...tired of alternatives like strip bars when it comes to women...sorry to hijack a bit...just glad to be back on this site...need positivity

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude could be broke as a joke and all of you would still be saying "But he's SOOOO rich!"

You have no idea what someone's financial situation is. Sometimes their CPA doesn't even know.

He could have spent everything he had on drugs, hookers, and gambling. I know, I've seen it happen.

lyracis

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm depressed myself and there is no good reason for it...on paper I do have everything but it does not seem to change how I feel and I do not get pleasure from any of my achievements or anything I do in life. So I'm inclined to think Owen Wilson is probably depressed too.

I'm amazed to see such a mature discussion of depression on this board. I think the problem is that AFCs come on the board talking about how depressed they are about not being able to get a girl. In most of these cases these guys aren't depressed at all, at least not in a medical sense, they are just unhappy with their lives. In these cases a kick in the ass is no bad thing and can be motivation for them to change, place less importance on women, get a life and stop playing the victim.

But clinical depression is something different and I think it is best defined by the inability to experience pleasure and loss of interest in all the things you used to like. Unhappy people can still enjoy things and because of this they are often driven to hedonism in the form of partying, sex, drugs, drink. And I am in agreement that it is usually caused by chronic stress along with having a susceptability too it, possibly inherited. It is a disease but it is usually caused by psychological/lifestyle factors which mean prevention is the best form of medicine.

The problem is modern life is stressful. We are driven to strive for more and more and have unrealistic expectations. We try and build ourselves up and fly too close to the sun and get burnt and come crashing back to earth. For some depression is the consequence of their fall.

To end on a positive note, for those guys who aren't depressed and reading this thread, like realsmoothie said, gain some perspective. If you have your health: mental and physical and your freedom, and enough money for food and shelter you are ahead of most people on this planet and everything else is a nice bonus. Sure strive for more because part of happiness is the pursuit of worthwhile goals, but enjoy what you have.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
there are two kinds of people in life....

the first think it is their god given right to receive everything they desire and consider themselves ripped off if they dont get. they believe that they are owed opportunity and that their mere existence entitled them to, at the very minimum, a fair allotment of life's bounties. these men shun hardship, suffering and tribulations - and as a result they grow weak in both mind, body and spirit.

the second think that life is hard b*tch and that it will beat on you and hammer you in to the ground. they believe that the point of life is for a man to rise again, again and yet again from his knees and keep fighting. these men believe they are owed nothing and are thankful for everythign they have, no matter how little it may be. these men embrace hardship, suffering and tribultions as means of personal growth - and as a result they grow strong, in both mind, body and spirit.

the only difference between a mature man and simply an aged man is that the prior has faced life's hardships and grown strong with determination while the later has become a spoiled brat.

with regards to owen wilson, i personally hope he finds the strength to rise back up. if he does, this will probably be the most valuable experience he will ever have in life. if he doesn't, if he continues to let his demons haunt him and continues to embrace the problem instead of searching for the solution - it will have been for naught.

depression may sometimes be chemical - and in some cases so extreme that it is beyond the individuals capacity to effect it. BUT, never underestimate the power of an individuals will TO effect it in MANY cases.

often those who are depressed deep down feel that the hardship they have gone through are unjust and sink deep into a state of self pity and apathy.

if they were able to see that life is unjust and that all a man truly has is his determination to fight on - irrespective of the disasters that have befallen him or that will befall him - they would find the strength and personal conviction to turn the fates.

when a man has a passion to live, to embrace even the hardships of life, he will find the will to push himself to new places.

styles07

Don Juan
Reaction score
true but...

There's no quantifying determination...some knocks keep coming with seemingly no end in sight even if it's only one or two aspects of life. My point is that it's (it being this struggle) easier said than done. Trouble coping in the form of depression doesn't necessarily indicate someone being spoiled. Often it's due to being battered beyond belief to where one retreats, if for a short time. The pearl in your commentary is struggling to view each and every knock as some semblance of personal growth—big or small. Remembering we are all products of our experiences—*******s and princes, *****es and princesses. Damn if that last one's not a tough one though.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
joekerr31 said:
there are two kinds of people in life....

the first think it is their god given right to receive everything they desire and consider themselves ripped off if they dont get. they believe that they are owed opportunity and that their mere existence entitled them to, at the very minimum, a fair allotment of life's bounties. these men shun hardship, suffering and tribulations - and as a result they grow weak in both mind, body and spirit.

the second think that life is hard b*tch and that it will beat on you and hammer you in to the ground. they believe that the point of life is for a man to rise again, again and yet again from his knees and keep fighting. these men believe they are owed nothing and are thankful for everythign they have, no matter how little it may be. these men embrace hardship, suffering and tribultions as means of personal growth - and as a result they grow strong, in both mind, body and spirit.

the only difference between a mature man and simply an aged man is that the prior has faced life's hardships and grown strong with determination while the later has become a spoiled brat.

with regards to owen wilson, i personally hope he finds the strength to rise back up. if he does, this will probably be the most valuable experience he will ever have in life. if he doesn't, if he continues to let his demons haunt him and continues to embrace the problem instead of searching for the solution - it will have been for naught.

depression may sometimes be chemical - and in some cases so extreme that it is beyond the individuals capacity to effect it. BUT, never underestimate the power of an individuals will TO effect it in MANY cases.

often those who are depressed deep down feel that the hardship they have gone through are unjust and sink deep into a state of self pity and apathy.

if they were able to see that life is unjust and that all a man truly has is his determination to fight on - irrespective of the disasters that have befallen him or that will befall him - they would find the strength and personal conviction to turn the fates.

when a man has a passion to live, to embrace even the hardships of life, he will find the will to push himself to new places.
OUTSTANDING post!