Overthink and your boat will sink.

"Zee Germans"

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey amigos

If there's one thing I hate it's that voice inside of me that puts me down, tells me I'm no good, says "You don't have a chance with this girl, look at her!". At school I was bullied because of my weight...note: that REALLY doesn't help.
Instead of moaning about how bad life was I looked for a way to escape the **** I was getting.

Thanks to eating right, weight lifting and regularly beating the s*8t out of a punch bag for exercise I dug myself out of that tortuous hole of self doubt. I did not improve myself for women, I improved myself for me; so that when I looked in the mirror I would fall in love hehe. This in itself makes you more comfortable and more confident.

Risk: Narcissism lol

However I would love to say that voice is COMPLETELY gone. God! what would I give?
It does still rear its ugly head from time to time.

So I developed a few techniques that have worked for me. They are mental techniques for squashing out that sonofa***** voice in my head and I hope they can work for you.

Firstly, I stood back and looked at it logically. "What the f**k was I doing listening to a voice in my head!". By its very nature this voice is weak, its not loud or powerful, it is niggling, and it only niggles when your mind cluttered.

Secondly, it is possible to think too much. Its scary how within seconds I could look at a girl, decide she didn't really like me, shy away from any advances and blow my chances from here to kingdom come.

There was no concrete evidence, just that niggling voice.

So, when I found myself 'over thinking' I kept popping a thought of my own into my head. My own weapon, and that was "white paper".

Nuts? I completely understand. But it works because white paper represents clarity for me; what is more clear than the whiteness of a blank piece of paper?
The niggling voice, the fear, too much imagination; all cloud your thoughts and, until you can attain clarity, they persist then finally ruin you.

To back this up I spend 15 minutes of my time before sleep to meditate and 'clean' my mind. Relaxing, just as with any meditative technique, is the beginning and there is no special position, just relax and STOP THINKING SO MUCH!
Upon breathing in I think; "white". Upon breathing out I think; "paper". The only other thing that should enter your head, other than these words, is your breathing pattern which should be slow and deep, in and out.

I am speaking from my own experience. It does NOT hurt to try it for yourself.

and like i said i genuinely hope this works for you.

realsmoothie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's a pretty simple meditation style.

Have you ever tried it in the morning, after getting up? That seems to be the time when my brain is most cluttered. I can definitely see how doing it before bed would help you sleep, though.

"Zee Germans"

Don Juan
Reaction score
Y'know, I've not done it in the morning, thanks for pointing that out man.
It works wonderful for sleep. I seem to have more vivid dreams when i do it.

Doing it while you awake and going about things is more about busying your mind with something neutral rather than allowing imaginations of self doubt seep in.

PrinceBeavis

Banned
Reaction score
That's cool to hear about your success. For me, I constantly drown out that bastard voice with my own positive affirmations.

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
White paper. Sure sounds peaceful to me. Whatever works, mate.
The voice is just that little pessimist inside of you. Just ignore it, make fun of it or grab his ass and drag him to face the facts of reality.
The times when he'll usually popup and have an influence is when your not at your emotional best. If you manage and improve your states the negative voice will no longer have an impact.
So just focus on that.
And meditation is always a perfect tool to improve your state of mind.

theunflushables

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My way is to not give a damn. Not to be confused with giving up, but just pushing my fragile ego out of the way to let the Id shine.

"Zee Germans"

Don Juan
Reaction score
I never thought of that! It got me thinkin'.

If you put the voice to a sort of little, brat brother figure, when he disrespects you you just tease him and kick his ass.
In the end it's just a little kid, and sure, the voice attracts attention but really it doesn't know what it's talking about.

theunflushables

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ooh the annoying little kid analogy is good. I like it.