Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Oppinions from serious lifters

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My upper body is lagging at the moment. In order to get it up to par, I'm thinking of doing a standard three day split one week, then doing this one the next:

Mon: Deads, T-Bar Rows, Military Press

Weds/Thurs: Squats + Bench

Fri/Sat: BB curls, Close Grip+Bench/Skulls

I'm aware that bench + squat is going to be lethal, but I think it's do-able. After all, it's my bench thats mainly suffering, and I feel it's down to tricep strength.

Anyone think this is worthwhile?

JoeBlack

Don Juan
Reaction score
squats and bench won't be so bad....

Whilst both are compound movements, bench is not really in the same league as squats and deads..

A question... How is your shoulder strength?

I actually stopped training shoulders due to they were so strong and my bench went up.. Something to think about..

Also I like the low volume. Concentrating on the basics, low volume is a very good plan...

dockta

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If its your BENCH that is suffering, why would you do it in the saem session as SQUATS?.. if you ARE going to do them in the same session, I would do BENCH first. But they are both big heavy compound exercises... which expell a great deal of energy.. if you are training HEAVY.. i cannot see how you would get the most out of each exercise in the saem session.

My 2 cents

dockta

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
JoeBlack...... you stopped training shoulders? you mean, all together, or just stopped shoulder presses?... your shoulders have 3 heads... which arent worked enoungh simply by doing a bench press...

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dockta
If its your BENCH that is suffering, why would you do it in the saem session as SQUATS?.. if you ARE going to do them in the same session, I would do BENCH first. But they are both big heavy compound exercises... which expell a great deal of energy.. if you are training HEAVY.. i cannot see how you would get the most out of each exercise in the saem session.

My 2 cents
What else do you suggest then? I mean, I assume you know tri's are a massive impact in benching - how else would you rig it so that tri's would get a good amount of time off?

I know that deads and bench would kill me.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's an option I just remembered from some M&F magazine I saw a lil while ago.

You can pick a muscle group for like 3-4 groups, and try to pick up the pace on it. Do a 4 day split like this....

day 1: Chest & shoulders

Day 2: Back and Bis

rest

Day 3: chest

Day 4: Legs and tris

rest

rest

Basically, they said you could increase the volume on one muscle group (back, legs, chest, arms, shoulders) to bring it up to par... but make sure there's about 3 days of rest or so Before you hit it fully with it's own giant workout.

Another thing I remembered when you mentioned squats and chest. remember that whenever you do legs, all the hormones your body releases when you do legs will encourage any other muscle to grow that is worked on that day. You can try throwing different muscles with Legs to see if it makes them stronger by the extra hormonal boost they get.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cheers semag :) I'll try that out in a few weeks time and stick with it for a little while.

Where have you been?! You keep disappearing until someone calls your name... It's like you've got a god complex going on... he who shalt calleth, recieves replyeth :p

heheh :)

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When you say lagging do you mean your upper body isn't big and massive, or your upper body lifts aren't heavy? So in other words are you looking to put on mass or increase your lifts?

Email me if you want some help..the advice posted won't help you meet your goal which seems to increase upper body strength and mass.

Robo2oo7@yahoo.com

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The muscle is there, but it's almost like my lower body sucks up all the strength gains I get. Whatever I do, the strength doesnt go up - thus pretty soon I can see my upper body hypertrophy is probably about to nose dive and stop too.

Cheers for the E-Mail invite man.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bah, got busy for a lil while. Went to hawaii, then moved in to school, finally got everything re-settled. heheh... or maybe I do wait for someone to chant my name 3 times and click their heels. ;)

dockta

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJBen
What else do you suggest then? I mean, I assume you know tri's are a massive impact in benching - how else would you rig it so that tri's would get a good amount of time off?

I know that deads and bench would kill me.
Your originl post read like this.. as you know..

Mon: Deads, T-Bar Rows, Military Press

Weds/Thurs: Squats + Bench

Fri/Sat: BB curls, Close Grip+Bench/Skulls

so...

What about shuffling it around.... try this..

Mon: Deads, T-Bar Rows, Close Grip+Bench/Skulls

Thurs: Squats + Bench

Sat: BB curls, Military Press