Opinion on door to door, calling salespeople

bbestar

Banned
Reaction score
This is what I may end up doing, that is going door to door in my neighborhood and sending out mailings to random people.

The store where I am located at has unbelievable low traffic coming in, about 5 people come in within a 5 hour span, and my manager is putting the pressure on me to meet quota. Im in the process of looking for another job, but I really want to give it my best shot.

What are your experiences with people coming to your door to let you buy something? What made you decide to buy and what made you brush them off.

Pretend im at the door of your house, I would be honest with you and say

Hello sir. Im Bbestar with T-Mobile USA, I have here in my hands a Samsung camera phone t309!!! a Samsung camera phone t309!!

The reason I walked all the way to your house is that im giving everybody in the neighborhood an oppurtunity to buy this Samsung camera phone t309 at walmart prices."

Have you or any family ever had T-Mobile Before?
(say Verizon 2 years)
But one thing any of us shouldn't be afraid of asking, are you worse or better of then you were 2 years ago.

How about I do this for you
I go ahead and give you 2 weeks to try it out, if you keep it
I'll credit the activation fee of $36 dollars and addition to that
There will be no bill for your first month.

If i were to come to your door step , would you buy? If not what are some improvemnts I can make.. thanks

by the way..
this is the T309
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/detail.aspx?device=f83f1339-195c-4f0f-bf06-1785c9d20a98
it is 59.99 at the t-mobile but if we discount it, even at .01 cent.. no commision from the phone itself. Im taking a big loss from commission but I just have to make quota to keep my job. Im offering it for free, same as walmart.

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
a nice suit ,a winning attitude and a bright smile will take you a long way...face it ,people judge others on appearances and first impressions- not who you really are..no one cares, most people only care about how you treat them anyways.Just know the product inside and out and your good to go..i'd buy something that was usefull from someone like that..why not?

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
D2D sales are rough, even if you're giving a solid deal, you're going to encounter at least 10 no's before you get one yes. I honestly don't even awnser the door when I see a guy in a suit standing out there becaue it could be a morman a jahovas witness or one of those ADT salesmen.

But if that's the way you want to go, print out a map of one of your neighborhoods, highlight an area you can cover in like 3-5 hours and just start knocking. Just remember it's a numbers game, your pitch is okay and It'll probably work on some.

Bad_Lil'Pixie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
As a women who works from home and is alone most of the day, I'd never open my door to you. Regardless of your creditials, products or looks, would I break the rule and let you in.

It is sad to say, but a few bad apples have carved a tougher road for you. These scammers that rip off the elderly, the home invaders, oh and then there is the door to door doctor offereing free breast exams. *jeez*

When my bell rings during the day, I instantly become defensive, not fearful, but just very guarded and untrusting. I know others like this, we seem to live in a world where just can't offer trust to strangers.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, d2d sales are rough. Some people are very rude. "Southerners" in general tend to be more polite to strangers, so maybe VA will not be so bad. You won't make many d2d sales to rich and astute people. Sales will often come from people who otherwise would not appear to have the money - that's how they stay poor, by buying from every smiling salesman who comes along. Also, many neighborhoods have local rules against d2d soliciting.

If you can do this job well, you deserve to get paid well. $700-$1000/wk is not unusual in d2d sales, for the very small minority of people who can handle all of the rejection.

Reaction score
Why don't you leave flyers on their doors instead, with a number they can if they're interested? Its very effective, because when people come in from work they have to open the door, therefore they will see it and they'll have to grab it(always leave it on or around the knob) and they are more likely to actually look at it then if it comes in the mail I think.

Plus it doesn't bother them while they're doing something, they can then call you on their own time. And it saves your time talking to people who ultimately don't buy, and time is money as they say.

My father and uncle are contractors so I'm fairly familiar with the selling game.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate anyone who comes to my door trying to sell me something. If I want to buy something Ill go to a store or find it myself. My house is my church so dont bother me there. I also hate telemarketers with a passion.

Reaction score
Skel said:
I hate anyone who comes to my door trying to sell me something. If I want to buy something Ill go to a store or find it myself. My house is my church so dont bother me there. I also hate telemarketers with a passion.
People have to make a living you little ****. Don't like it? Put up a "No Soliciting" sign on your front door.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He asked me my opinion I gave it to him. Im sorry that you are also a telemarketer and cant get a real job. Dont take it out on me. I shouldnt need a no soliciting sign at my house. If I didnt invite you to my house stay the **** out. You wouldnt undestand that because you cant afford your own place on a telemarketers salary.

Reaction score
Skel said:
He asked me my opinion I gave it to him. Im sorry that you are also a telemarketer and cant get a real job. Dont take it out on me. I shouldnt need a no soliciting sign at my house. If I didnt invite you to my house stay the **** out. You wouldnt undestand that because you cant afford your own place on a telemarketers salary.
I'm not a telemarketer. I'm just not a self-centered jackass who can recognize that people have to work and make a living. If you aren't interested tell them and if they do keep bothering you they're an ass sure, but they have the right to approach you.

Free enterprise, dude, free enterprise.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I never said they didnt have the right to approach me. I said I hate them. I hate them not as people but as something that annoys me like a mosquito.

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cold calling is just as hard as D2D, but D2D I'm sure is harder. I like the idea of leaving fliers around. Try that let us know how that works.