Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Opening a homeless shelter

RazorAzoth

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is probably a dumb question but is there any way to get grants to open a homeless shelter and get paid to run one? I'd love to open one in my area, however, I'm working full time obviously to make a living and just wouldn't be able to run one and work full time. Running a shelter would be a full time job itself.

Anyone have any information on this? Thanks.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
If by homeless shelter, you mean, full time lazy ass incinerator, I would be willing to invest money into that. Why don't you go work at a homeless shelter first and get to know the people, I guarantee a year of that and you will hate the 'homeless'. I used to volunteer as a kid (16 to 18), when I didn't know any different, at homeless shelters. I thought I was helping the less advantaged, It wasn't until I grew up and realized that 99% of those people were just lazy fvckin losers who refuse to get a job, take a shower and show up to work on time. There is almost NO reason for anyone to be homeless or jobless, everyone is capable of working at McDonalds or on a shrimping boat or a cruise ship or driving a forklift. There are TONS of jobs out there and TONS of people who don't want one. Once you get your head around that, you'll see, that homeless people aren't worth a dime. In my 'shelter' I would work cooking for those bastards and serving coffee. A lot of the time they would come and throw the empty cups at me, ***** and complain and tell me the food sucked.... FREE FOOD. When Tim Hortons delivered a cake and dozens of donuts they complained and refused to eat the food because it was 'day old'. These are people who consider themselves to be perputually hard done by. Their contribution to life amounts to eating government provided meals, smoking a couple packs of cigarettes, drinking a bottle of booze and getting a welfare check. You can't help them, they don't want your 'help', they want your money. They aren't going to thank you in the end, they just want your free stuff, they would steal it from you if you weren't looking. 1st world 'poor' are the most un-greatful sacks of sh1t you will ever meet. My wife, she was REAL poor, as in 3rd world poverty, no money, no food and no education. She managed to survive long enough to get herself into a good job, learn english and marry me. She is a true survivor and she refuses to take money or beg. True poor people don't have a government hand out to count on at the end of every month, true poor are just fighting to survive. You are only going to encourage gimme-dats to stay jobless longer by handing out free stuff.

Jesus helps those who help THEMSELVES. You can't help someone who doesn't want to contribute to society. Drug addicts and alcoholics are on the street for a reason, they fvcked over enough family members to be tossed out (I know I have one in my family). Bums are on the street for a reason, they probably have a drinking problem through COMPLETE FAULT OF THEIR OWN. Lonely homeless bag ladies are crazy fnkin LIARS and portray themselves as poor people. Listen man, I have NEVER been out of a job for more than a few days and I've made it all around the world and back again on my own dime. I still see the exact SAME people at the shelter going on 20 years, that were hanging out there when I was a kid. In 20 years I've managed to fail out of high school, WORK my way around the world, go back to college, get educated and get into a TRADE here locally. I attend school once every 2 years and have a laundry list of jobskills. Why in 20 years couldn't one of those half wits have done 1/100th of what I've accomplished? Christ, I've only been back in the country 6 months and I already have 2 jobs and another offer after being fired from a job. My wife arrived for the first time in Canada with so-so English and got a job in the first two weeks. So please, if you have any money to donate, buy a house, rent it to people who matter and forget about the people who don't. Homeless people are on the street for a reason, THEY BELONG THERE.

Last edited:

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This sounds like a way to cheat the government out of money.... Basically, you want the government to grant you a ton of money while serving soups that cost probably $.10 a bowl.

So many of these charities are nothing more than scams that use poor people as a marketing tool to attract charity donations.... whether it's homeless shelters or poor kids in Africa...

Now it seems the new scam is charter schools that set themselves up as non-profits and the owners line their pockets with government funding.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drug addicts and alcoholics are on the street for a reason, they fvcked over enough family members to be tossed out

My former wife got a master's in counselling while we were married. She had co-workers who worked with the homeless, and a few homeless clients herself. One of her co-workers did his phd thesis on homeless people. Every time he tried to go out and observe them, people called the police on him. That is until he dressed up like he was homeless himself, then no one called the police. That guy started out very idealistic and wanting to help people. Years of study led him to eventually agree with LiveFree's statement. Most people were homeless because they deserved it.

However, keep in mind that for hundreds of years, governments around the world operated insane asylums, giving people with mental illness a place to live and not bother the rest of us. At some point, society decided that was a waste of money, and now we have to look at our mentally ill people living on the sidewalk. If they are not crazy, they have substance abuse problems, and it's the same thing. No one's going to pay to treat them.

As far as the OP's idea goes, assuming he is in the US, the biggest step in establishing a charity is to get 501c3 status from the IRS. That means donations given to you are deductible against income taxes. You'll never get big money without being a 501c3 - a rich donor benefits twice as much from giving to a 501c3 due to the tax benefits.

logicallefty

Reaction score
OP, your heart is in the right place and I respect you for that. But I have some experience dealing with lower/no income people and trying to help them and let me tell you something that I learned, most of them don't/won't change. If you think your shelter is going to be a temporary location to feed them and put a roof over their head and a pillow under their head until they can get 'on their feet' on their own, you are mistaken. In 2014 I took in a young couple that I knew who was homeless at the time, living in an abandon building. I went and picked them up, let them live in a small house I rented at the time rent free... Then in the basement of my new house rent free. I didn't charge them for electricity, water, Internet, etc. My thinking was that they would use my house and generosity as a stepping stone to get jobs, a place of their own, on their feet, etc. All they did was get comfortable and lazy, more than before. They both worked for a while, and I told them to just save all the money they could. Even when they made money I didn't require any.. Eventually they both lost their jobs, started lying to me about their efforts to find more work, and got even lazier than they were when they first moved in. Eventually they moved out but I was about a month away from kicking them out.. I really thought I could make a difference in their lives, but all I did was enable them to get comfortable and lazy.. Never again will I help anyone like this. The egg is in my face.. Lesson learned... Last I knew they were back in a homeless shelter, and as far as I am concerned, they are where they want to be and living the life they want to live... I wish them the best.. And OP I wish you the bet if you really try and do this.. But be prepared for a lot of frustration..

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
However, keep in mind that for hundreds of years, governments around the world operated insane asylums, giving people with mental illness a place to live and not bother the rest of us. At some point, society decided that was a waste of money, and now we have to look at our mentally ill people living on the sidewalk.
How true. My grandmother died of some form of dementia, and at one point she she called my mom from a bus station saying she was heading to Denver to be with her (deceased) brother. If she hadn't made that call, she'd have wound up freezing on some street in Colorado I'm sure. My parents fought tooth and nail to get power of attorney over her. It was hard to demonstrate that she was nuts. Luckily they finally got it when she got arrested for assault (I'm not kidding) and put her in an assisted living home where she died eventually. Had she not had my family looking out for her, she would have been just another crazy old lady on the street, and people would be out trying to help her with soup when she really needed 24/7 professional care.

I have no real experience with homeless but I live in NYC and see them everywhere. Eventually you see the same ones, over and over again. It's a way of life for them, and panhandling is their source of income. This is the choice they have made.

We all need charity, and nobody should be too proud to ask for help. But there's a difference between turning that handout into something to build on, vs. handout after handout after handout going to drugs and booze. Or worse, being too bat-shyt crazy to do anything constructive.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
You could open a Shelter in Thailand for pissed off red pill men wanting to get laid, those men would truly be greatful. Brazil and Ecuador have a really interesting way of handling the homeless problem. Basically if you are on the street past midnight without a place to go, you are a dead man walking. The threat of having your head blown off at night motivates people a lot more than free handouts from disconnected do-gooders.

Last edited:

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, your heart is in the right place and I respect you for that. But I have some experience dealing with lower/no income people and trying to help them and let me tell you something that I learned, most of them don't/won't change.

A friend of mine recently got out of a relationship with this woman who seemingly just feel on hard times. she had a job, single mother. a good job. lost her job. could not pay her rent because no one would help her out, so she was living in a hotel room. one of her kids was / is in jail and can't get out of jail until she gets a residence.

my friend decides to go all in and throw on the cape. i'm like bro i'm telling you now

Infection --- avoid the unhappy and unlucky

Bro i don't care what story she tells you, i assure you it is not true. how you go from having a full time job and a house to living in a hotel in a span of 6 months.

better yet, how do you not have the money to have a place to stay, yet can afford a hotel daily.

she tells him that she gets child support and that covers it. then why the **** could you not pay your rent lol?

truth comes out, she's slinging drugs on the side. i bull **** you not. to support her drug habit which is.. pretty much everything lol. But who am i to judge, all she needs is some stability and she'll be right on her feet right?

so my friend makes this plan. she can come stay with him, no drugs, get a job for a month or so, get enough to get you a deposit for your new place, get out and get your kid home. pretty ****ing simple, straight forward and plan?

she moves in. she lasts all of 3 days lol. her attatitude starts to drastically change. i see the **** happening already. she's going threw withdrwals and is looking for a reason to get the **** out. they litearlly get in a fight over putting too much laundry degerigent in the washer machine, mind you she is cursing him up and down about how much laundry detergient to put in HIS washer machine and she gets her stuff and gets out becuase "he doesn't respect her"

she's still living in a hotel room. stil lbitching about how the world is not fair yet still doing the same ****

**** the homeless.

Sprayarc

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is probably a dumb question but is there any way to get grants to open a homeless shelter and get paid to run one? I'd love to open one in my area, however, I'm working full time obviously to make a living and just wouldn't be able to run one and work full time. Running a shelter would be a full time job itself.

Anyone have any information on this? Thanks.
Hahaha. Nope. 80% of them are **** heads. The other 20% probably have ****ed up families/ parents.

It will be a constant headache to keep it peaceful and safe for everyone. You won't make any money.

Not every one deserves it. Not everyone is homeless for long.sh!t happens.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wonder how long you could go on the money/assets you have right now, if your job was terminated tomorrow. Let's not think of it as getting fired for being a bad employee. What if your employer went bankrupture and shut the place down? What if your place of employment burned down tonight? Some people have great educations and degrees but not all of us on the site do. Homeless shelters are needed in this world. Not everyone is lazy or on drugs.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
If your company shut down, I would hope you would go get another job. Its not hard, it may involve you moving out of state but there are tons of jobs out there. So no I disagree with you Penkitten, the homeless ARE lazy and from your post, I would add stupid too. How can you have been working and not managed to save a dollar in AMERICA.

Homeless shelters are needed in this world, just not the 1st world.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How can you have been working and not managed to save a dollar in AMERICA.
How many dollars would you need to save in order to pay the nessecary bills to survive and not end up homeless while you are in between jobs? I think that many people see themselves getting that new job more quickly. Finding the same pay rate. It doesn't always happen. But you brought up an important point, people are not always saving money away for emergencies and their future.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
I would say the cost of renting a low income apartment. There are plenty of places you could have bought that are cheap enough to pay off just working at McDonalds. Another really easy solution is to buy a small RV/camper when you were working for a couple thousand bucks and if **** hit the fan you could always live and WORK out of that. Lots of jobs out there that absolutely no one wants to do. There are so many ways to build yourself back up from nothing but the first step is WANTING which all homeless do and the second step is WORKING which all homeless don't.

Homelessness is a failure to prepare for the future... and pretty well anyone in the first world has a legitimate way OUT if they wanted to. OP you want to do your part? Go to any 3rd world country, meet a girl from the slum and marry her, then start a family. You will be helping yourself and the country. You don't see these people asking for hand outs.

Yesterday while visitng a friend, we noticed a guy standing on the road with a sign 'PLEASE HELP, HUNGRY!" behind the cardboard the guy was TEXTING on a SMARTPHONE. Where are the priorities? How many able bodied homeless have you met, who when offered a job tell you to stuff it? Loads. They don't want to work or didn't want to work and ended up there, its as simple as that. This is homelessness in the 1st world, a failure to prepare and overall laziness.

The 3rd world, you are either poor or you are dead, there's no middle ground.

Last edited:

Sprayarc

Banned
Reaction score
I would say the cost of renting a low income apartment. There are plenty of places you could have bought that are cheap enough to pay off just working at McDonalds. Another really easy solution is to buy a small RV/camper when you were working for a couple thousand bucks and if **** hit the fan you could always live and WORK out of that. Lots of jobs out there that absolutely no one wants to do. There are so many ways to build yourself back up from nothing but the first step is WANTING which all homeless do and the second step is WORKING which all homeless don't.

Homelessness is a failure to prepare for the future... and pretty well anyone in the first world has a legitimate way OUT if they wanted to. OP you want to do your part? Go to any 3rd world country, meet a girl from the slum and marry her, then start a family. You will be helping yourself and the country. You don't see these people asking for hand outs.

Yesterday while visitng a friend, we noticed a guy standing on the road with a sign 'PLEASE HELP, HUNGRY!" behind the cardboard the guy was TEXTING on a SMARTPHONE. Where are the priorities? How many able bodied homeless have you met, who when offered a job tell you to stuff it? Loads. They don't want to work or didn't want to work and ended up there, its as simple as that. This is homelessness in the 1st world, a failure to prepare and overall laziness.

The 3rd world, you are either poor or you are dead, there's no middle ground.