Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Only fat causes weight gain?!?!

oldmanofthesea

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This dumb article keeps popping up in my social media feeds and in google news feeds:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-07-fat-consumption-weight-gain.html

It claims that a new study proves that eating fat is the only cause of (dietary) weight gain. This goes against everything I know about diet and health, and takes us back 20 or so years ago to a time when everyone was eating "low fat" everything and people were still struggling with weight. After that, many people who wanted to lose weight switched to high-fat diets like Atkins, and then Paleo, and no Keto, and it worked.

R.U.G.

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This dumb article keeps popping up in my social media feeds and in google news feeds:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-07-fat-consumption-weight-gain.html

It claims that a new study proves that eating fat is the only cause of (dietary) weight gain. This goes against everything I know about diet and health, and takes us back 20 or so years ago to a time when everyone was eating "low fat" everything and people were still struggling with weight. After that, many people who wanted to lose weight switched to high-fat diets like Atkins, and then Paleo, and no Keto, and it worked.
Depends on the fat. There are healthy fats and unhealthy fats. Weight gain and fat are also strongly tied to sugar and HFCS. If a person eats healthy, no sugar, no processed foods and is moderately active, the weight will fall off.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, fats are calorie dense but you also need them in order for everything to run optimally. As such they are your friends. What you want to avoid is sugar and excess carbs, especially if you are not going to burn them off through exercise

Billtx49

Reaction score
Old advice here. Don’t believe everthing you read.

Last edited:

oldmanofthesea

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What is getting me about the article is that they are claiming that ONLY consumption of fat is responsible for weight gain. In other words, you can eat as many calories as you like, on the couch all day, and as long as those calories are from carbohydrates instead of fat, you won't gain an ounce.

This goes against everything I know about nutrition and weight gain.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What is getting me about the article is that they are claiming that ONLY consumption of fat is responsible for weight gain. In other words, you can eat as many calories as you like, on the couch all day, and as long as those calories are from carbohydrates instead of fat, you won't gain an ounce.

This goes against everything I know about nutrition and weight gain.
If you read the study the article cites, you'll see many fallacies. For example, they changed the % of macronutrients (e.g. 80/10/10, etc.) to see which combination creates the most obesity. Naturally when fat was 80% of the diet, the mice gained the most weight. Well no kidding as fat is 9 calories per gram, as compared to 4 calories per gram for protein and carbs.

Best study (without any biases or contrivances) is your own.

Calories out more than Calories in = Weight loss

oldmanofthesea

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Calories out more than Calories in = Weight loss
That's the tried and true formula I'm sticking to. Just pisses me off seeing studies like this and knowing a number of people are going to believe it and go to the donut shop.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never understood why this is so hard. Fat CAN lead to weight gain. It's calorically dense, so if you eat a lot, it'll make you gain weight. That goes for all fat.

The difference in good fat and bad fat is the artery clogging and unclogging aspect.

Just because something is good for you doesn't mean you can gorge on it.

R.U.G.

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never understood why this is so hard. Fat CAN lead to weight gain. It's calorically dense, so if you eat a lot, it'll make you gain weight. That goes for all fat.

The difference in good fat and bad fat is the artery clogging and unclogging aspect.

Just because something is good for you doesn't mean you can gorge on it.
However, good fats do make you feel fuller longer. Thus, would lead you eat less. So, in summary, you'll in theory lose weight. This, of course, does not include variables such as metabolism, lifestyle and any exercise one does.

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
eating makes you gain weight