Online Dating

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How many of you have tried online dating? What do you think of it? I've used it a few times but I'm becoming increasingly disappointed with all of it. I got s trial membership with one service that claims to have a compatability test. The results do NOT fit my personalityy at all. Then I go into the advanced search or even the basic search and click on a lady's profile. I then click on the "are we compatible" link and get a "nope" "uh-uh" "unlikely"-you get the idea, I hope. But a lot of times I just look at the woman's own words about what she wants and what her personality is like and I see she has things in common with me. :rolleyes: The thing is that compatability assessment says no and even contacting the ladies is an uphill battle because if they took that test they will rely on it despite what my profile description says to the contrary.

Do any of you guys believe in online dating? And how often do the ladies initiate contact with you?

Reaction score
It has sort of been like a leaky foscet with me. However, I am not really trying at this time.

It's very rare that I get any women initiating any contact online, and with that respect it sort of hurts my self-esteem more than it does help because it seems that I'm putting too much effort to get very little results. I'd imagine that other guys with better pics or snappier profiles may be getting better results.

Otherwise, I feel that most women are getting lots of attention, smiles and emails and it seems like I'm competing with all these guys and because a woman can have 400 guys after her on lavalife, while I'll lose credits sending emails girls dont respond to with noone initiating anything, futhermore with all the attention these women get super-picky with respect to standards and it would seem, that even if I'm lucky enough to meet anyone in person, that they will likely be seeing five or ten other guys that they are also setting up meetings with in a week, while I may be getting one or two responses a month if I'm lucky that end up in meetings.

I think some or lots of women also have their guards up, and are jaded due to encounters with players which makes the odds even more difficult to finding a normal nice woman. Obviously, with the sheer amount of attention, most women would obviously fall for players who know what they are doing, get jaded after, and you are left with damaged goods online who are cynical about men while they would pass your profile in the first place.

So, looking at the overall picture I dont have anything really positive to say, unless you meet that rare woman that's doesn't have you as another number and there is some mutual attraction. It would seem like you are looking for a needle in a haystack with that online system, or would have to go with some damageds goods girl that people aren't running after, like a single mom or something to get a quick-fix.

For the record, I am dating someone, a Christian choir leader girl, I meet from plentyoffish, and it seems that she's sincere and I was the first person she meet online, and it doesn't seem like these issues persist there. Again, it may work better if you are going after girls that not every single guy is chasing if just looking for a quick-fix, otherwise it would seem rather difficult to meet an attractive, quality chick that isn't super-picky or has you as one and ten people she's meeting, while she may be the only or first person you are meeting.

I think there are many ways of meeting women, and meeting people face-to-face in your own social circles or even in public can work if you just over the fear of rejection - and to me it always feels good to approach someone you like - you get a buzz, or action in that, but online it's up in the air.

banGbro

Banned
Reaction score
Why not online dating, lol. But no online talking, maybe webcam and mic or phone. The reason to shy away is probably the reason that drives people for hooking up online. What drives you to hook up online? Insecure about hooking up in real life, no time, all that other bs are just excuses. Same with women.

The idea, and I have no experience here, is to get the chick out with you. Lets say a short coffee date. So if you can take compatibility test many times you can customize it for your target, and also write what she wants to hear. I like sites that allow you to hide your profile and only show it to specific people, that says a lot about you.

Cash

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It plays with your head

Came by some solidly slamming HB9, Just my type and stantard wife material.

Only she lives 5000 Miles in Florida. Oh, and she has a kid.

I'll remember to click 'UK only' next time.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
banGbro said:
Why not online dating, lol. But no online talking, maybe webcam and mic or phone. The reason to shy away is probably the reason that drives people for hooking up online. What drives you to hook up online? Insecure about hooking up in real life, no time, all that other bs are just excuses. Same with women.

The idea, and I have no experience here, is to get the chick out with you. Lets say a short coffee date. So if you can take compatibility test many times you can customize it for your target, and also write what she wants to hear. I like sites that allow you to hide your profile and only show it to specific people, that says a lot about you.

I disagree with you on the insecurity issue. It's best to keep your options open and depending on where you live the dating pool could actually be small. (And that could be based on town, state, etc.) But yeah, getting them out there for the coffee date is one way of getting to know each other.

Luke Skywalker, you've got a good take on this. I think a lot of them might be jaded. Women tend to be more selective thatn us-or so they'd like to believe. But another thing I've noticed is that the "matches" I'm sent are of women that I would not date much les talk to if I saw her on the street. In ways I think these online dating sites are rigged. I even read a news report that two of them conducted a research study to figure out why so many of their members (mostly female) were dissatisfied with online dating. And one thing they found out was that the women want FANTASY, the less they know about the guy the better. And the more they know the more disappointed they become. They don't have the confidence.

But I lay it out there up front the things I'm looking for in a relationship, the kind of woman that I want. And I put it in my profile that I don't want whiners or players or women who are a waste of my time. That's the basics and I use the same standards in real life. This particular online dating site dared to tell me to lower my requirements even though they are few but specific butthat's lowering my expectations or saying I'll take whatever comes along or what the is in the garbage pile. That's a waste. And there are hotties who are attracted to me, give me the smile, approach me. But then I think some of them get to being quiet when I tell them that I have goals in my life and want a lady like same. And these ladies who approach are on par with me as far as looks, intelligence and education. All the same women don't know what they want. And the online dating thing shows that to be true even more so.

And cash, I know what you mean.

Reaction score
To be honest, part of my lack of success online is due to the fact that I dont like to sell myself online - and go more on a 'take me or leave me' basis, which is why I put up poor quality pics where people say I look better in person, may portray myself in an inferior state with the way the profiles are written and tend to try to evoke sympahy of some form.

But, I'm thinking of beating my own mind at this someday. I experimented with a profile that sells itself by not selling itself. For example, if you dont want to say you have a big job making lots of money or you are successful, then say, I dont like telling people how successful I am, because I only want to meet genuine people, etc... so in a sence, you use can 'reverse' some things so you wont really be selling yourself and come across as sincere or genuine. I'm looking into that later.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Luke Skywalker said:
To be honest, part of my lack of success online is due to the fact that I dont like to sell myself online - and go more on a 'take me or leave me' basis, which is why I put up poor quality pics where people say I look better in person, may portray myself in an inferior state with the way the profiles are written and tend to try to evoke sympahy of some form.

But, I'm thinking of beating my own mind at this someday. I experimented with a profile that sells itself by not selling itself. For example, if you dont want to say you have a big job making lots of money or you are successful, then say, I dont like telling people how successful I am, because I only want to meet genuine people, etc... so in a sence, you use can 'reverse' some things so you wont really be selling yourself and come across as sincere or genuine. I'm looking into that later.

I thought about this one even used something similar myself. It intrigues some of the women but even in those cases they'll often ask what kind of job I have, etc. They're looking more for financial security than emotional committment. And I get compliments from the ladies in real life about how I look, sound, walk, etc. But I don't post my pic online. When some women have asked for it I send it, sometimes they like it, sometimes they don't. But I'm always improving my look so I'm my own worst critic. All the same I think the women of online dating are not so secure but more and more women are turning to online dating. That's why I decided to check it out myself.