Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Oneitis and the parable of the mustard seed.

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is an ancient parable used to teach the central Buddhist principle that attachment leads to suffering. It offers a valuable lesson in dealing with grief, but can be adapted to address oneitis and LTR breakups.

Kisa Gotami, called the Frail One, had a young son who was the sunshine of her day. It came to pass that hardly had he grown big enough to run and play, when he died. So great was the sorrow of Kisa Gotami that she would not accept the boy's death.

Instead, she took to the streets, carrying her dead son on her hip. She went forth from house to house, knocking at each door and demanding: "Give me medicine for my son."

People saw that she was mad. They made fun of her and told her: "There is no medicine for the dead." But she acted as if she did not understand, and only went on asking.

A certain wise old man saw Kisa Gotami and understood that it was her sorrow for her dead son that had driven her out of her mind. He did not mock her, but instead told her:

"Woman, there is one who might know of medicine that can help you, the Processor of Ten Forces, he who is foremost among men and gods. Go to the monastery. Ask him about the medicine you need."

Seeing that the wise man spoke the truth, she went with her son on her hip to the monastery in which the Buddha resided. Eagerly, she approached the seat of the Buddhas where the Teacher sat. "I wish to have medicine for my son, Exalted One," she said.

Smiling serenely, the Buddha answered: "It is well that you have come here. This is what you must do. You must go to each house in the city, one by one, and from each you must seek to fetch tiny grains of mustard seed. But not just any house will do. You must only take mustard seeds from those houses in which no one has ever died."

Gotami agreed at once, and delightedly set out to re-enter the city. At the first house she knocked and asked, saying: "It is I, Gotami, sent by the Processor of the Ten Forces. You are to give me tiny grains of mustard seed. This is the medicine I must have for my son."

And when they brought her the mustard seed, she added: "Before I take the seed, tell me, is this a house in which no one has died?"

"Oh no, Gotami," they answered. "The dead from this house are beyond counting."

"Then I must go elsewhere," said Gotami. "The Exalted One was very clear on this point. I am to seek out mustard seeds only from those houses which death has not visited."

On she went from one house to the next. But always the same answer. In the entire city there was no house which death had not touched. Finally, she understood why she had been sent on this hopeless mission. She left the city, overcome with her feelings and carried her dead son to the burning-ground. There she gave him up.

Returning to the monastery, she was greeted by the softly smiling Buddha who asked her: "Good Gotami, did you fetch the tiny grains of mustard seed from the house without death, as I told you to?"

And Gotami answered: "Most honored sir, there are no houses where death is not known. All mankind is touched by death. My own dear son is dead. But I see now that whoever is born must die. Everything passes away. There is no medicine for this but acceptance of it. This acceptance is my refuge."

Being dumped by a partner is, in many ways, a lot like a bereavement. You are losing someone special to you and it can be very difficult to move on. Added to that is the feeling of failure, low self-worth, resentment, distrust and jealousy.

I arrived at this site looking for advice on winning back my ex-girlfriend. Admittedly, she has been my sole inspiration for my DJ studies. I had an extreme case of oneitis and I refused to believe it was a lost cause. I have suffered oneitis several times before and would often put my life on hold while I tried to evaluate where I went wrong and work out a solution to put it right. It has caused me severe depression, low self-esteem and even physical illness.

The reason I got into this state was because I was deceiving myself and clinging to every shred of hope I could find. People on this site kept echoing “NEXT”, but I just wasn’t willing to listen until I tried everything I possibly could. I had little scenarios in my mind of meeting my ex-, turning on my newfound DJ expertise and having her rush back into my arms. Did it ever happen? Of course not. Every time I called, emailed or messaged her to try a new approach I lost more of my dignity and drove her further away. And now I’d be too ashamed to meet up with her again.

Eventually I realised that there is only one sure way of overcoming oneitis, and that is to let go of ALL hope. It is only when you accept your loss that you can pursue happiness elsewhere (another woman, intellectual, career or creative fulfillment etc).

By retaining hope you are prolonging your misery, amplifying your desperation, losing your dignity, harming yourself and missing out on other opportunities. It all amounts to the same conclusion: that you should have given up sooner!

Lone_raider

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That is my most favorite Buddhist parable, I hadn't read it in a while, but I needed to see it again, thanks for posting it.

I really don't participate in any religion, but at one time I had studied Buddhism quite extensively and adpated bits of it into my life, mostly those passages about removing attachment as it leads ultimately to suffering. There are some excellent concepts contained within Buddhism, but for whatever reason I had disregarded them in the last 2 or 3 years while in various relationships, dating situations. Now again I find myself in a rut, I even got sucked into oneitus a while back even though I knew it was happening! Time to read some of those old texts again and relearn what I once knew.

DJ_Dork

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Watch Fight Club. "Only when you have lost everything...are you free to do anything"

Here's something to help you .. gain dignity and let go IF you know there is no chance. Tell her off , girls do this at a slow pace before they let you go to make themselves feel better. - But tell her off on the phone before doing this since she "doesn't want to see you" - Then truly let go, cut off contact. You should say the most damnest things about how she f-cked your life up, how she messed your feelings up, LET IT ALL OUT man.

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Loneraider, you sound just like me. I did take Buddhism very seriously for a while and visited a temple, but I was very disappointed with the formality and customs. Instead I just decided to take the basic philosophies I found useful and apply them to my own life. That's basically what Buddhism is about, rather than an organised religion.

I usually turn to this parable in particular whenever I get oneitis or suffer a bereavement. It reminds me that all the mourning and stress amounts to nothing.

Dj Dork: I agree that letting it all out with a woman can be useful too as it means you can't go back. You have to let go. But she could take it as a defensive reaction because she hurt you, while it's probably better for her to think you don't care.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My oneitis that I had is my blessing as well as a curse

Good Story

Another way to get rid of a oneitis is to realize that there is more oportunities out there. That is what happened to me at least.

I used to be in such a oneitis that I thought of no other women at all. I talked to her, showed her my good side, my bad side, became friends with her b!tchy friends that I do not like whatso ever, etc. etc. (all been there done that type thing) I then found this site and started questioning my philosophy on her. I started to ask myself was she really worth it? Is she really that good? By the end of my first week of being here I found out the answers I was looking for. And They were HELL NO!!! The life that I lived changed dramatically after Christmas. I still talked to her (I had alot of real friends that near the front of the room). I became funnier by neg-hitting her (this was a girl that had low self-confidence and still idolizing movie stars) I got rid of her pedestal to make sure before I stopped talking to her all together. I got rid of the old me, i even said that I had commited a type of murder of myself and purging my brain. Killing the old me and reinventing myself and when asked what I meant by that I just looked at her and said you will see. That was by early May. by the end of May I became more hostile toward her just to make sure she knew that me wanting to even go out with her was absurd. I now cannot even speak to her or look at her because it brings back those bad memories of those days (I don't like my past) and any chance of me and her are shot.

Last edited:

JSH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So baseballDJ, you are still letting this girl drive your life, you are still obsessed with her. She blew you off and now you are obsessed with trying to get better than her and hurt her back. THAT IS PATHETIC.

You are still obsessed

She is still in control, you should want to improve to reach CONSTRUCTIVE goals that will maek you a better person. Do not let hate run your life. You were devestated by her, do you really want to make someone else feel that way.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you are right. I started thinking aabout this last night as I was trying to sleep and kept thinking about it.

edit will take place on previous post.