Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Nostalgia

Red_Tiger

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was wondering the other day how life would have been for me at my age in the 50's and 60's. I know today life is better in that their are better job opportunities and generally the standard of life is better, but I can't help thinking life would have been better for me in another era.

I am really sick of this bombardment of sexual images on the tv, the damm gangster music, there is a real sense of aggression in bars in the UK. Girls seems to want the tattoo yobbish character.

From what I can tell looking at photographs in by gone eras, men dresses with style, shirt and tie (okay a bit formal) music was romantic, there was respect. Today in the UK have these teenage gangster wanabees (hoodies) being aggressive to older people.

The newspapers tend to be loutish, tv has Jerry springer type programmes (i splept with my cousin etc).

Time to leave the sinking ship namely the UK

Sorry just feeling down today

Alicorn

Banned
Reaction score
Shockingly I've read that for crimes besides murder (and rape I think) the UK actually has a higher crime rate than the USA. That suprised the hell out of me the first time I heard it.

Yeah, here is something from 1996. Here's a 2002 article.

I'm not really up on my Queen's English, so what exactly is a "yob" and how do you act like one?

Maverick001

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Red_Tiger,

Nostalgia is exactly that isn`t it? A longing or admiration of times past and life or lifestyles now relegated to history.

This is your time. The here and now is the time to make your mark on the world. The past exists to serve as example and warning. It`s not meant to be re-lived vicariously through pictures, stories, etc.

You belong in this time and that`s why you`re here. Whatever Gift you possess is needed here and now. Your presence is important and necessary.

I don`t know if the foregoing made any sense to you but do realize that only in the here and now can you make a difference for yourself and you certainly have the ability to do so. That`s an uplifting thought!

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Mav

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Red_Tiger

bombardment of sexual images on the tv, the damm gangster music, Girls seems to want the tattoo yobbish character.

The newspapers tend to be loutish, tv has Jerry springer type programmes (i splept with my cousin etc).

Time to leave the sinking ship namely the UK
Actually it is funny...you are talking about UK.
Travel to the US to see what all of those Jerry springer type things are.

Red_Tiger

Don Juan
Reaction score
thank you Maverick, you seem a very wise man to me, and someone who would be great to be in the pub with.

Red_Tiger

Don Juan
Reaction score
I digress (excuse me), but I heard this song on the radio and thought the lyrics were very good

Moody Blues lyrics
"Moody Blues Late Lament lyrics"

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room
Bedsitter people look back and lament
Another day's useless energy spent.

Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,
Lonely man cries for love and has none.
New mother picks up and suckles her son,
Senior citizens wish they were young.

Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colors from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?

Maverick001

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Red_Tiger
thank you Maverick, you seem a very wise man to me, and someone who would be great to be in the pub with.
Red_Tiger,

Thanks for the compliment. I don`t drink but do go to pubs from time to time and am always the designated driver when it`s a boys night out.

In fact, I`ve got a story from my university, AFC days about that. I think I`ll post that one in a bit.

Cheers,
Mav

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I sometimes think about those things, too. I like old music with tasteful lyrics. Moralistically I'm pretty conservative; politically I'm fairly liberal ... which sometimes doesn't make sense.

I feel I often should've grown up in the 40's where men had class and style, the f' word wasn't dropped in public, women wore dresses and were WOMEN not some of the strange fragmentations they are today. I'm not into tattoos or weird piercings or music that is trashy and vulgar.

I definitely don't belong in today's era, but this is where I'm at so I make the most of it.

Oh yeah, I'm a sports nut and I tire of that sh-t music at events blaring in my ear. Give me a great marching band any day.

Today's American culture really, really blows.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WestCoaster
Today's American culture really, really blows.
I agree, to a point. BUT.....

From what I can see things are improving. Americans over the past decade or two have gained a better appreciation and acceptance of introducing new things into their closed-off world.

For example- I absolutely LOVE American beer. No, not that Budweiser and Miller p!sswater, I'm talking about REAL BEER. Craft brewed micro's, especially those fresh from the tap at a local brewery. I have been to Germany and Czech Republic which are generally regarded as being the gold standard for beer, and in my personal opinion, American micros can keep up with European beers any day of the week.

This is something that basically didn't exist before the 80's and has gained popularity ever since. Same kind of deal with wines, teas, coffees, exotic foods such as sushi, just to name a few. You see more and more of this stuff popping up everywhere.

Go to South Beach, Key West, New Orleans (pre-hurricane) and you can see that American culture is developing. Hell, even Vegas has some decent restaurants and stuff nowadays. And that's pretty much the capital of American tackiness.

All of that said, I also believe that I would have fit much better into western culture of the past. If only we could get some of the traditional stuff back mixed in with the good stuff from today. That would be ideal.

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agree on some things. I like Starbucks and the variety of coffees today. Last week my dad and I had some great home made brew at a small pub in North Idaho of all places. It was tremendous.

I like the options in athletic shoes, I love the internet, I like computers, new tennis racquets, and so forth. So yes, there are some good things.

I hate new cars ... they all look the same. Nothing matches the Mustangs from the 1960's ... well, at least the looks of them. I hate most of the new music, and I hate how a lot of women dress today. I don't like the vulgar crap on TV and the movies.

Class has flown out the window, but technology has improved some things ... but not class.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WestCoaster
I hate new cars ... they all look the same. Nothing matches the Mustangs from the 1960's ... well, at least the looks of them.
That's why when people say how much they love my car I just yawn. Yes, it's fast. Yes, it looks nice. But unless you are willing to fork over $100-$200k for a new car, most of them don't have much character. Should have my Ferrari within a couple of years if all goes well!

and I hate how a lot of women dress today.
I was amazed when I visited eastern Europe. You don't see the chicks over there running around in baggy sweatshirts and crap like they do here. Women over there really take pride in their appearance, even if they are only running daily errands. MY GOD...the other day I ran into one of my female tenants at the grocery store. I almost didn't recognize her with her ratty hair, lack of makeup, and crappy clothes. Oh, the HORROR!

Whats even more shocking is the fact that most of these countries are relatively poor compared to the US and such, but the women still manage to put themselves together nicely.

Class has flown out the window, but technology has improved some things ... but not class.
I wasn't really talking about technology.

I agree that for the most part our society isn't very classy. But there are some decent people out there. Lately I have been making quite a few great new friends that have somewhat restored my faith in humanity.