no soreness

deNominator

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, but to give you an idea: it's based on how often you work a muscle a certain way. Triceps really can only be hit by a limited number of ways, that you have probably been doing for a while. Chest can be hit many different ways and if you included a way you haven't done in a while(or ever) you'll get soreness. Just like if you don't train legs for a while(or ever) and do a bunch of squats, your legs will be DEAD. But after a few workouts it doesn't happen as much. Same goes for changing from high volume to low volume.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've wondered about the same thing. I've been told that it's completely normal, you don't get nasty sores anymore if you've been working the muscle regularly. Plus, you will still make good gains even if the muscle is not sore. Some say it's even better if it isn't sore.

I know, I like sore muscles because you feel like you've done a good job :)

maqnetik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
simple:

one muscle group is working harder than the other

:yawn:

you can also mix it up by working your arms before or after your chest for example to put more stress on the group that feels neglected. another thing to remember is that the extremities heal last, so if you work both tris and chest (you work tris by default if you work your chest BTW) your chest will start to heal first because as far as your bodys concerned thats the priority (soreness is an indication of the healing process). often times your tris never get the chance to fully heal because you jump right back into the gym after your chest isnt sore anymore. eventually that leads to plateaus and burnout, so once in a while its a good idea to take 3-5 weeks off to fully recover.

Last edited:

Neon Owl

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
maqnetik said:
(soreness is an indication of the healing process). often times your tris never get the chance to fully heal because you jump right back into the gym after your chest isnt sore anymore. eventually that leads to plateaus and burnout, so once in a while its a good idea to take 3-5 weeks off to fully recover.
Ok first off soreness is only an indication of the amount of lactic acid still in the muscle, it has no bearing on how recovered the muscle is from the previous workout.
Not sure where you heard the your arms heal slower than your chest or any other part of your body. True, some muscles do tend to heal slower than others but you can't make a blanket statement that your arms are slower than your torso.

And finally, taking 5 weeks off from your workout regime will most likely have you lifting less weight once you return to the gym. 1 week off every 2-3 months is much more reasonable and ample time for your tendons and everything to heal up nicely.
If I took 5 weeks off from lifting I would likely lose 100% of my motivation to get my arse in the gym and tear it up by the end.
You need to keep your momentum up in this game and 5 weeks off is suicide.

maqnetik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
arms and legs heal LAST not SLOWER-- the body protects its CORE first, and the chest is part of the CORE....

and if you rely on "momentum" to keep you going for fear of "running out of gas" eventually youll burn out anyway because your strength isnt REAL. if you cant take time off and come right back to the gym without any setbacks then your muscles were just PUFFED UP not FILLED IN.

filling in muscles takes YEARS not days or months, and you HEAL when you take time off not when youre continually ripping and re-ripping the same muscles.

:box:

Neon Owl

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmm what do you mean by "puffed up" and "filled in"? Are you referring to Myofibrillar and Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy? If so then I agree that if you're training for sarcoplasmic HT then it is easier to lose and more prone to breakdown by the body for energy, whereas myofibrillar HT is longer lasting and will stay much longer once it is built up. I assume you know the difference between the two?

How can you possibly say that my strength is not "real"? lol
If I can lift a certain weight then I am that strong. Simple.

I've been lifting heavy weight for a year now in the 5 rep range and have never taken a break longer than 1 week and I am still progressing very nicely. I think this pretty much discounts your theory doesn't it?

And by the way the 5 rep range is for myofibrillar HT or "filled in" muscles as you call it. So yes, my muscles are "real" thankyou very much. :)

I'm not trying to make you sound like an idiot mate, but you're doing a good job just by yourself. We all learn new things every day, there's no shame in it!

Twitch

Don Juan
Reaction score
Neon Owl said:
Ok first off soreness is only an indication of the amount of lactic acid still in the muscle, it has no bearing on how recovered the muscle is from the previous workout.
Not sure where you heard the your arms heal slower than your chest or any other part of your body. True, some muscles do tend to heal slower than others but you can't make a blanket statement that your arms are slower than your torso.

And finally, taking 5 weeks off from your workout regime will most likely have you lifting less weight once you return to the gym. 1 week off every 2-3 months is much more reasonable and ample time for your tendons and everything to heal up nicely.
If I took 5 weeks off from lifting I would likely lose 100% of my motivation to get my arse in the gym and tear it up by the end.
You need to keep your momentum up in this game and 5 weeks off is suicide.
Listen to this man. Don't worry about if you "feel the burn" during or after(soreness) training. The "burn" is just relative to your lactic acid tolerance.

Just work on adding weight to the bar. I used to bench 165, and could only do I few pull ups. I hit a 240 bench a week ago, and yesterday I did chins with my bodyweight +50 pounds(dipping belt) for 8. My upper body is way bigger. Same story with legs.

About time off as a guideline a beginner & low intermediate needs a week of decreased volume or intensity about every 4-6 weeks. A beginner being a squat or deadlift less than 315, a bench less than 225.

Neon Owl

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
maqnetik said:
spare us the nerd babble, and come back when youve been lifting for more than a(1?) year. this isnt rocket science, and if it isnt PERMANENT then it isnt REAL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7jhb8_UPfw

:yawn:
Nerd babble? lmao Do you have an aversion to true information or something pal?
Stay in your cave staring at the shadows dancing across the wall.

I'm not sure what me lifting for a year has to do with the fact that you have no ****ing clue what you're talking about. Does it hurt your ego that a noob knows more about this than yourself?

How exactly do you propose you build permanent muscle then genius? I submit to you that it is impossible due to the FACT that you are born with a certain number of individual muscle fibers (sorry if I'm getting too technical/nerdy here...are you still with me?) and you CANNOT increase that number.
The only way your muscles get bigger is by increasing the size of each muscle fiber. THIS IS NOT PERMANENT.
You think your body is going to hold all of its muscle mass if you're starving or when you're 86? The body will happily cannibalise itself of it's non-essential mass if it needs to in order to feed itself.
I'm not sure where you learned all your "info" about bodybuilding my friend but you're speaking from your rectum.

brb PumPin me MusCleZ for LIFE!!!!!!!!!11!!!111111111