No one does squats or deadlifts

bud_2005

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been going to this gym for about a month. I've seen probably a hundred people come through during this time. I have not seen one person do deadlifts and only two people I've seen squats. Everyone just works with dumbells and does bench presses. Sure they got big arms, but they kind of got that gorilla look to them. It just blows my mind so many lifters could be this uneducated.

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hahah welcome to the real world bro, everyone wants big guns thats all. Its the same the world over, avoid doing your chest and cardio on Mondays its "universal bench day" and "I gotta run 10 miles to make myself feel better for binge drinking over the weekend day".

just keep doing what your doing and in a few months time you can laugh at all the gorillas with the pencil legs LOL

Theres a dude that comes in and can bench like 150 kgs but he couldnt squat 50 kgs LOL

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Same at my gym, I've only seen one other guy do squats, and he used really light weight and didn't even go to parallel.

I've never seen anyone else there do deadlifts, and when I'm doing them everyone stares at me like "What the hell is that kid doing?" :p

But of course every guy in there is doing set after set of bicep curls and bench presses, and sometimes I have to wait for someone to finish doing curls in a squat rack with 2.5 lbs on each side so I can do squats :rolleyes:

Reaction score
chest and arms dont grow fully without legs and back...i found that out by experience.

so the guys with all upperbody probably either been there for a few years or they took localized steroid injections.

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you have to just sigh and go on, not much else you can do

although i did talk 4 high school dudes into doing squats and deadlifts, once upon a time....

Unregistered

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've only seen a couple people at my university gym do squats, and maybe one guy doing deadlift...once. It seems that the majority of cats in there are just trying to make their arms look bigger sticking out of their polo shirts. You know the type - douchebags.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
But of course every guy in there is doing set after set of bicep curls and bench presses, and sometimes I have to wait for someone to finish doing curls in a squat rack with 2.5 lbs on each side so I can do squats :rolleyes:
Ugh yeah there is nothing more annoying than top-heavy douchebags using squat racks for bicep curls. :cuss:

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because not many peopel study into bodybuilding and the best eexercise,s get told by the gym-trainers, who give them the SAFEST option.
Higher reward, higher risk **** like that.

ThreeStorms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha, the only one I have ever seen deadlifting at my college gym was a girl!
Weird hm?
However, since I workout there, a few guys have adopted to my style of training (I did not say anything to them, they just watched me).
I probably have the body they wish to have one day ^^

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There was a guy at my uni gym awhile ago who made the most ridiculous noises when he lifted. Every rep was AUGHAWHAAHHHHUHOOO. He lifted a lot of weight considering this, especially deadlifting. Nobody else touches it.

The only guys I've ever seen do more than one or two correct pullups at the gym were ROTC guys. Kinda sad. Everybody here jerks to halfway and drops down.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Aside form the odd leg extension, I think I'm the only guy I've noticed working my legs at my college gym! It's sad really.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Be thankful. Do you really want all these people competing with you for the space in which you do deadlifts and squats?

And yea your chest will grow faster if your legs and back are stronger.

onyx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The gym at my university is probably the busiest gym i've ever seen.

I mean theres like a queue of 10 people waiting for the bench press, so I just usually do DB presses instead.

also theres no squats racks or any where to do squats...except for like a squat machines thing where you lie down and do it like that. Which isn't going to be as affective as proper squats. Also no place to do deadlifts seeing as the bar for the bench press is in constant use

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
onyx said:
Also no place to do deadlifts seeing as the bar for the bench press is in constant use
Kick the guys in the shins and when their legs crumble from their massive chests with no lower support structure, take their bar.

djtdot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol this sounds sooo true. In my 3 months or so at the uni gym, I have seen like 2 or 3 people deadlifiting, and maybe half a dozen squatting. But ofcourse there are some really huge guys who I have never seen doing either but imo its fun to know that if I squat and deadlift, I will be where they are in half the time WITH good legs. And yes when I started my routine and started to deadlift I did garner the "wtf are you doing" looks.

There is this guy at the gym who gave me this weird, almost a mean look when I first deadlifted. He was doing his umpteen set of benches. Never seen that guy doing pullups/squats or deadlifts. His is kinda big, tho not that much. My aim is to be bigger than him by the end of the year. And as things are progressing, I hope to do that and show whoz the daddy :p. If I hadn't come here, I think I might have been like him too, not doing squats and deadlifts. I shudder to imagine wt would have happened then.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's great for me since I don't have to wait to use the rack for squats. Though there are at least 3 people at my gym who squat, they only do partials, not even to parallel. Yet one of them is really buff. Mother****er!

Guy who works there has a huuuge upperbody, but really spindly legs. It's a great look.

djtdot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually coming to think about it, I have never seen that many people leg pressing either. I have seen like 7-8 'regular' leg pressers.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I helped spot this guy doing decline bench today.

I had previously watched him on flat bench where he did half reps. I work with the guy and i'm trying to give him some pointers to actually lift SOMEWHAT correctly since he does lift pretty routinely but completely haphazardly with no plan.

Anyway back to decline... As soon as i let go of the bar after helping him liftoff since it was in his hands and not moving or anything his left arm... well.. sorta just stopped working. Of course seconds earlier i told him not to unlock his arms until the bar was over his chest. So here the barbell is hurtling towards his face. It literally stopped half a inch from his face because luckily he was in the rack with the safety bars in place. I was in no position to stop this since his arm just gave out the second i let go of the bar.

His response... "i guess i can't lift that much" That's news to me because he flat benched more weight and decline allows heavier weights.. ohhh yea he does half reps so he never actually works his chest.

Then we lowered the weight and he proceeded to do more half reps practically over his neck. For some reason he won't believe me that these half reps are just triceps exercises. Oh, then he complains that his chest is too small.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
onyx said:
is a hack squat machine like so

as affective as barbell squats?
No.

Nothing wrong with doing those occasionally but they're not a replacement for squats.