Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Nice Guy's Dilemma

Frank2500

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm a 28 year old single male and the kind of guy who was often passed over (and still continues to a degree, even by older women) to be passed over for superficial reasons for supposedly being too nice. What's particularly difficult for me is that I'm originally from another part of the world-Central Africa, and in my country, men who have their act together, are polite, play by the rules and don't cut corners are often highly sought after by women, as opposed to here in the U.S. where many view it as a weakness. In the past two and a half years, I've been taking serious steps to at least avoid being put into the so-called nice guy zone.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the best experiences with dating at all. My problems have ranged from talking to two, individual women and then later finding out that they are best friends to talking to a woman at my gym and later finding out that one of her best friends who recently got married dated my older brother. Talk about good luck.

In the past two months and just this week alone, I experienced some of the toughest dating situations of all. First, the woman who I met at my gym, despite being 35 years old, turned out to be very superficial and not what I imagined when I first met her. On our first date, we drank wine and went dancing and held each other tight and even held hands as if we'd known each other for a while. On our second date, it was lunch and a walk in a park, holding hands. After the second date, when I tried to get a hold of her, she left me a very lengthy message telling me how "busy" she was going to be in the next few weeks with her best friend getting married, upcoming Jewish holidays and her two-week vacation. I called her back and left a message on her voice mail and understanding the hint she seemed to be giving me, left the ball in her court, suggesting that if she ever felt like getting together again at some point, she should let me know. She herself had said in her message: "I don't know when we'll be able to get together, but maybe we'll talk sometime."

Weeks and weeks went by, and I never heard from her again. I was really hurting inside, so I felt it would be appropriate for me to call her and tell how I felt, about seven weeks later. Of course, she didn't pick up when the phone rang, like she normally does. She only used to return my calls-not once did she ever call me out of her own will to find out how I was doing. I told her that I felt very used and exploited by her and that all she needed to do was openly tell me after our last date that she didn't think we were a good match and that she had found someone she felt she liked better, so that I would have moved on with my life quietly. I was so upset that I told her that I hope she meets a man someday who will treat her just the same so that she'll learn a lesson. She sent me a text message saying she was sorry I felt that way and that it was never her intent to hurt me. I chose not to respond and it ended that way. I honestly wasn't expecting such behavior from a woman her age.

I began going to a gym at least three days a week since last spring. Hence, my physical build seems to have undergone some changes. My muscles are developing and my biceps, chest and shoulders are especially noticeable. All of a sudden, especially at the gym and when I do wear muscle shirts, I get looks from women who normally wouldn't have given me the time of day in the past.

Recently, I have begun resorting to talking to as many women as possible, but the hassle of it all and the possibility of facing rejection and continuing to be persistent hasn't been easy for me at all. This week alone, I talked to three women. Each of them told me they had boyfriends. One said she was actually moving in with her boyfriend, the other said she was involved in a longterm relationship with a guy but that I should feel free to stop by and say hello whenever I am in the area.

The third woman was perhaps the most shocking of all because she was the one I least expected to get the boyfriend response from. I noticed her at my gym in the past two weeks on days when I'm often there, and this week especially, our eyes kept meeting each other and I thought she was checking me out. Our eyes would meet each other's directly and she would look away. Then they would meet again and she would look away. So I took a chance and introduced myself to her, smiling and confidently, while she was on one of the machines. She smiled and it seemed as if her eyes lit up when I was talking to her and she kept on laughing at what I was saying. But then, when I took a chance and asked her out and asked for her phone number, she looked down at the carpet as if in deep thought:

"Hmmmmm...," she said. "Well...I work and I don't think my boyfriend would be too happy to hear that." I told her it was nice talking to her and before I walked away, she asked me once again what my name was and I repeated it to her and we shook hands. My question then is the next time I run into her, should I just walk past her without saying anything, or walk past her smiling and waving, or should I stop and try talking to her on a so-called friendly basis only?

I apologize for the lengthy post, folks. I'm just a guy who hasn't had the best of luck with most of the women I have talked to and approached.

InvisibleMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Is sounds like you've got InvisibleMan-itis! :) I know how you feel dude. But after getting a LOT of help from guys in here, I no longer put up with this kind of stuff from women, and hopefully by following the advice from experienced DJs in here the frequency of this sort of stuff happening to us will diminish greatly. Read the "My Story" thread in this forum and you'll get a lot of good advice that I'm taking to heart.

I've learned you don't really have to be a jerk, but you gotta know what you want and be confident about it and not worry about it if you don't get it at the moment - 'cause you KNOW you will get it.

- Invisible Man

Frank2500

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Couldn't Find the "My Story" Thread

I couldn't find the "My Story" thread on this section of the forum that a poster suggested to me. Could someone help me find it?

realsmoothie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Frank2500 said:
I honestly wasn't expecting such behavior from a woman her age.
Hi Frank.

I'm 32... and I tell ya, the older I get the more I realize that women are pretty much the same no matter how old they are. With some things... their career, friends, etc. they'll certainly mature... but when it comes to men and relationships, they fall prey to the same traps that caught them when they were 15.

Like you, if a woman had pulled that kind of disappearing act on me, I probably would have called back at some point too. But guys like us - nice guys - really need to learn when to cut bait and GTFO as I like to put it.

Look up posts on "oneitis"... which is the "disease" of focussing too much on one woman who is treating you badly.

Sounds like you are on the right track with getting to the gym and the such. Where are you from in Africa? You seem to be very well educated and polite.

Frank2500

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Hi Realsmoothie,

In order to maintain some kind of privacy, I'm a bit reluctant to mention what country in Africa I'm from specifically, but I will tell you that it's very close to Nigeria. You are right. Honestly, I couldn't resist the temptation of contacting that woman one last time and telling her once more how I felt. This time she replied telling me the following: "Again, I'm sorry you were hurt. At the time, I wasn't sure what exactly I wanted. As I said earlier, our timing was off. In retrospect, you were right, I didn't feel the same way about you as you did. You deserve to find someone who feels the same about you. I hope you find her. Please don't contact me again."

My response: "If you knew you didn't feel the same way, you simply should have been upfront and direct from the start and not even given me your number. Why in the world would you even accept to meet with me knowing fully well that you didn't share the same feelings? Women like you, despite your age, are the vain, superficial and self-centered bunch who walk around breaking people's hearts. I honestly hope you meet a man who will treat you the same and even worse. By the way, don't take this as an attempt to resume contact with you. You are just too vain and superficial for my liking, and for a woman your age, it's a disgrace. Trust me, if I had a chance to see you again, I would have given you a piece of my mind. To hell with you!"

I felt so good after sending that heartless ***** that text message and not surprisingly, she couldn't muster the courage to respond to it. What an idiot. It's such a shame that a woman would be acting this way at 35...so shallow, self-centered and superficial.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Frank, you shouldn't feel good about passive-aggressive behavior like that; it's not the right way to go. Stop telling women how you feel and expecting the same from them. Women are not going to be direct with you. If they don't call back, you assume that they lost interest and you move on without making a big deal of it. Rejection is not always personal. You never know what other drama a girl has going on outside of you; maybe she got back with an old ex or met mr perfect, who cares? Don't internalize every failure and don't be so results-oriented.

Here is some good reading that gives general tips:
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=16822&highlight=kino

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/van/152468438.html
someone said this was originally a sosuave post

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
Again, I'm sorry you were hurt. At the time, I wasn't sure what exactly I wanted. As I said earlier, our timing was off. In retrospect, you were right, I didn't feel the same way about you as you did. You deserve to find someone who feels the same about you. I hope you find her. Please don't contact me again.
Hey..on the other hand, she's not stringing you along and was considerate enough to tell you to stop calling.

Frank2500

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

I still feel good that I got to tell her how I felt. I let her know that I wasn't trying to contact her to get in touch with her but rather to express how I felt. Thanks for the links and I'll check them out.

realsmoothie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Giving that "one final message" to tell her how you felt doesn't help in the long run, though. Really... trust me... I've done it several times and I just feel like a sore loser afterwards.

Why?

Because you can give as many reasons as to why a woman screwed you over... but the fact of the matter is that she screwed you over because she DIDN'T CARE about you enough. She wasn't interested, and you were.

In terms of the relationship between the two of you, giving her that last letter might be called for... but in the relationship between you and YOURSELF that letter is a waste of time and simply makes you feel worse.

TooColdUlrick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Frank2500 said:
Weeks and weeks went by, and I never heard from her again. I was really hurting inside, so I felt it would be appropriate for me to call her and tell how I felt, about seven weeks later.
not good.

the only way to get rid of these feelings (which are natural by the way, men and women alike) is to have more options with women. this is a universal truth, no matter what country you're from.

decades

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Frank you showed your cards too soon with this first woman. What is this holding hands stuff on date one and date two? That is not DJ sounding to me. Be more of a challenge. Be the prize. Be mysterious. Be more playful with them. Be ****y and funny. Don't coddle these women and hold their hand so early. That's for when she is "your" woman.

See you showed your cards to this woman before it was time and when you contacted her, she devalued you because you got oneitis with her. She lost interest, perhaps because she sensed you were too clingy. If they disappear they disappear. No biggie right? You don't Chase. It's their loss correct? Start thinking abundance.

At the gym why not start by saying, hey I was going to get a drink or a coffee after working out wanna tag along? If she brings up boyfriend say hey it was just a soda; no biggie. Not so much at stake with that is there? Yet you have approached and made it clear that you are interested. Every contact with a woman does not have to be a "date". Give them a chance to see how great you are. You really want to get to a place where the signals are obvious that they are interested in you.

regards

Frank2500

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Thanks so much for your responses. I'd like to also say though, that I have experienced this kind of behavior more with American women than with those from other countries. While I support equal rights between men and women, it just seems to me that the feminism thing has gotten a bit too much into many American womens' heads. It may be best for me to stick with women from my continent, who I seem to be more compatible with. Normally, I wouldn't have expected the same superficiality from a woman at 35 who normally should be looking to settle down and be hopefully more open-minded. I guess it all depends on the woman. I've held hands before with a woman who was 30 years old on the second date and she didn't mind...and in fact she wondered why we weren't even getting together more often and why I wasn't calling her more often. American women are just something else.

d9930380

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The reason why women like nice-guys in other parts of the world is because they don't have independance. They depend on a man for money and security. Women are financially independant now in the west so they don't care about this (They do more as they approach 30 and hear the biological clock).

What women crave is a man that exicites them, confidence - not needy, makes them laugh, someone they can show off to their friends and also someone they know will be good in bed. If you aren't having any success with women ask yourself if you have or don't have these qualities and be honest. If you don't have these qualities then you have to look to get them. Even money isn't that important unless they're just looking to freeload off you and most women now don't need to and the ones that do you wouldn't want.

As for them liking the jerks, even jerks are nice to the girls to begin with and then once the girl has feelings he knows he can abuse her because she remembers the feeling when it was good and craves that like a junkie in withdrawal. She doesn't give a **** how he treats other people - most people will laugh along with the bully, women are no different.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im going to guess that you are coming off as needy or not challenging the women enough for them to want to chase you.

d9930380

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As for your question. She put you in the friendzone. You either want a new friend or not - forget about getting this girl, highly unlikely and not worth the risk (she might end up using you by stringing you along while she gets attention/money/etc).

So be civil (it shows that you're not a child) but nothing else, women don't make good friends.

You sound like you get oneitus easy - the reason why anyone gets oneitus is lack of options. The truth is, as a man you just have to get used to rejection - remember it happens to all of us, even Robbie Williams got rejected by Lyndsay Lohan. Happens to EVERYONE - don't take it personally or think just because she rejected you then she's better and you have to lower your standards. I don't fancy all beautiful women (although it does make it more likely :) - It's in the eye of the beholder.

d9930380

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why should a women settle down at 35? Because YOU think it's right!

A better question is why are you even thinking like that? By coming across that you want a long-term relationship straight away - it will scare away any girl and seem needy.

Frank2500

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

D99, thanks for your response. I can tell you honestly that I don't lack confidence. I've been called suave by other women I've met in the past. I have a great sense of humor and have been told that as well. Don't forget that the woman in question I talked about in this post said that our timing was off in terms of when we both met and that she didn't know what she wanted at the time. Again, I have to admit that given her age, I expected her to be more open-minded and less superficial and shallow. I'm also confident about my abilities in bed. I romanced this woman very well on our first date, freaked her out, bumped and grinded with her real good. But...things happen. I'm glad that chapter in my life is now closed and I can now move on and find a woman more deserving of my time. I do agree about the fact that she put me in the friends zone, probably because I have been through so many heart breaking experiences, I thought there might have been some potential that despite her age, if things worked out, she might have been the right one. I was wrong.

d9930380

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually I wasn't accusing you of not having confidence - I was just making a point of what Western women look for and why. I asked you (other readers) to ask yourself - It doesn't make a difference what I think, so there is no point in trying to defend yourself to me.

As for what "other" women will tell you - women who want to "****" you will tell you all sorts of stuff. I even had one bird tell me I looked like a Male Model (believe me, I don't), when people give you a compliment it triggers a pleasurable experience in the brain. Our brains work on the pleasure principle so therefore we seek out people who make us feel good and therefore it makes us LIKE them more if they compliment us - it's just manipulation, most people do it without knowing it, really meaning it or literally meaning it :)

As for the timing - that can be sort of true (if she's unsure then she can use that as an excuse) however if you where Mr Right then nothing would stop her.

As for her having potential - don't think like that. Only think like that ALOT later on in a relationship when you know her and trust her, that way you protect yourself from oneitus and heartbreak.