Nice Guy Trait Elimination Thread

drmeathead

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Let me start out by first saying i was brought to this board a few days ago by two things. First and foremost is that I lost the first girl in a long time that I thought was keeper material. I had no idea why I lost her. She gave me the fade out dump. (just stopped returning calls for no apprent reason. At the time it was illogical. After reading on here for a few days the light bulb has gone off. I see my mistakes. (I still think she has loose screws. I messed up but I did get done wrong.) The illogical has become logical. I have gotten the closure that I lost my dignity to keep. I am the first to admit I did some ill-advisded things in my attempts to win her back and/or get a logical reason for her dumping me. The other reason I m here is that I am on my a$$ for a good bit as I tore my ACL and had it reconstucted a few days ago. This all being said here is what I ave learned after putting in time in archives.

Girls like jerks. They do not like over sexed freaks. They do not like nice guys either. Nice guys have trouble talking to girls because they are trying to think the nice thing to say or the perfect way to do it. Jerks dont. They, according to Pook, have testosterone flowing and they just go with that flow. Personally I think all guys can talk with girls. They just have inhibitions that prevent them from doing so. Jerks control or limit their inhibitions. Freaks have no control (morals???) .

Looking introspectively, I have found my traits that have limited my success. Traits which may make me a great friend but limit me as a partner. These traits make me a nice guy and intrude on my thoughts and actions thus limiting my interactions with women. These are the traits that set me up to fail as my aforementioned dream girl was told my biggest flaw was that I was ...TOO NICE FOR MY OWN GOOD".

Eager to please
I like to do nice things for people. As a friend, I am great to have around. I take pleasure in seeing people made happy by my actions. If something I do puts a smile on your face it will put one on mine as well. I like to give complements. I like to help you out if I can.

Giving of this nature is truely a selfless act that comes from within. This giving is fine for friends but women have to earn it. My friends earn my niceness because in some way they have acted in a way to earn my complements. This wasnt obvious to me at first but it is now glaring. Females need to earn my complements, superficial sexual beauty is not alone a quality that inherrently deserves my gift from within.

All people are Inherently Good
Saying anything contrary to this makes you bitter and miserable. I disagree. I will go to extreme ends to make people feel good. (see above). There is a good portion of the population that will (and should?) allow you to do nice things for them and feel they owe you nothing. Others dont feel they have any obligation to consider your feelings.

Women have an inherrent desire to find the best possible sire for their offspring the best provider, the best protector, and so on. The only reason a guy doesnt get traded in for the next best thing to come around the corner is because she hasnt seen him come around the corner yet. (the trick is to make them think you are the best thing to come around the corner) Some Women dont ever feel they owe a guy loyalty early in a relationship. A few feel dont they dont owe them loyalty ever.

I am loyal to a fault.
This is tied into the above. I will trust someone to no end until they screw me. I believe in people till they prove otherwise.

With women, I think taking the opposite approach is best. Always wait for them to screw you over. Atlest until you hit the LTR stage where they tell you they love you. That is why it is best to have several women at your disposal. Until one choses to commit to you, you have no obligation to commit to them. With girls I liked (keepers not hookups) I wanted them to commit to me so I, in not so many words, commited to them. Instead of spending my time showing them I was the best thing to come around the corner, I tried to show them I was the most commited thing around.

I reveal my emotions.
Whether by talking too much or losing my temper I reveal my emotions too much. Like Pook says testoterone laden men dont have time for emotions. The are instinctively driven to act, directly. Emoting or temper tantrums are simply tactics that effectively allow you to spin your wheels.

Revealing emotions simply broadcasts that you are not comfortable with your inner self. Your actions are a result of the mind trying to alleivate its own inner discomfort. Change is great and all great things do need maintaince work but pick your spots. Women dont want a work in progress, they want the best thing out there. So save the self help sessions for when you tear your ACL and are out of the game for a few weeks.

This is just a partial list. I am sure others have traits or views on these traits that are good for us.

Porky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, you really do need to assume that any girl has the capacity to screw you over.

It took me several times to learn this, don't make the same mistake.

So Many Ways

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have had all the following characteristics at some point in time in my life and you guessed it, I was invisible to women.

Great post, I can definitely relate.

Austin Allegro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True dat.

As Jean Paul Sartre said, 'Life begins on the far side of despair'. Only when you have reached the end of the line of AFC/Nice Guy behaviour, can you finally start to live.

Check out the website 'no more Mr Nice Guy' for more on this.

drmeathead

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A few other things I can think of

Decreasing testosterone levels

Why should I engage in behaviors that lower my testosterone output. If testosterone is the ultimate driving force in maleness why do anything to get rid of it. Drinking alcohol is a big testosterone reducer. It is a physiological fact so I wont get into to past alcohol turns testosterone into its chemically related evil counterpart, estrogen.

I am not saying that alcohol has no place in life but rather it should be considered as a necessary and enjoyable evil. A night of drinking at aclub with lots women around is a good thing. A night of drinking with the boys in some dive with maybe one HB8+ in the entire bar is not. Drinking by yourself at breakfast is just pathetic.

Often a night drinking with the boys involves my LTR friends "being allowed out" for once and wanting to get $hit-faced. This is great and alot of fond memories take place during these times. However, your LTR boys are going home (or calling up) HBs after last call. You (assuming you are here cuase you arent in an LTR) are going home alone. Not only with less testosterone than you walked in with but consequently with less muscle mass that you worked out and dieted all week to get.

The other big needless testosterone reducer can be masturbation. While it can relieve frustration, doing so contradicts everything you are trying to do. That frustration is what wil drive you to approach girls. You are designed that way. It has often been said that if a man could s his own d then he would never leav the house. While that humorous statement is crude, there is much truth to be found in humor.

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is becuase they trade what they want the most for what they want at the moment. Sure it feels good to rub on out but does that feel better than real sex or for that matter does the intensity of the pleasure negate the intensity of the pain of rejection or the frustraton of loneliness?

Too available

I keep my cell phone on all the time and my IM logged on all the time. Why? So I dont miss people (girls) trying to get in touch with me. Why? So I can talk to them.

If I turn my phone off for a random amount of time each day, it creates a sense of mystery. I know anytime I make a call and it goes straight to voicemail, I wonder "where the hell is ___? what are they doing ___." I am opposed to leaving a phone on an not answering. It allows negativity to creap into people's minds that you may b avioding them or whatnot. Going straight to voicemail only produces a sense of mystery.

Dont worry if you miss a call here and there. If it is important they will leave a message. Perhaps they will call back. Obviously dont turn your phone off when your mom is in the hospital or your brother is coming into town and may need directions. Also have a business phone, that way you wont miss any milion dollar job offers.

The same goes for IM. Dont just leave yourself signed on. Get on only when it is good for you. Your good friends and HB's have your number already. Anybody else can wait to tell you something when you are good and ready to hear it. This will again create a sense of mystery. Even if you are just sitting around reading DJ forums, people may think you are curing cancer or winning marathons or out with HB's but leaving an away message removes all doubt.

Just a few more thoughts that creaped into my head

sharpshooter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
great post

the masturbation thing is so correct. I hate getting off these days because I know I don't have that extra little edge if I do.

showtime17

Don Juan
Reaction score
great post up top by drmeathead. i can definitelly relate. i also like to do nice things for people, help them any way i can and most people dont appreciate it. oh well, that's just the way i am and will continue on doing nice things. people take advantage....
yeah i also agree masturbation is evil, but when you're not getting any, there are just so many days you can go without, until the tension gets so great that u just have to relieve it. it takes real self-control not to do it.
oh yeah with the alcohol, supposedly a little alcohol is actually healthy for you, but drinking alcohol just to get drunk and start throwing up all over the place is in my opinion real stupid...drinking a few drinks while you're out to get in a "good mood" and loosen you inhibitions is good and it helps you pimp, but there's a point that you should never cross and that is being too wasted, which actually damages your pimping...i've seen friends who were like yeah i am gonna get chicks, but they got so shyte-faced that no chick wanted to be in a 10 meter vicinity of them, but they thought they were so cool and the biggest pimps...yeah right