NHL playoffs

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
to all the canadians (and cool americans) who follow hockey, this is the best time of the year. if the officiating during the playoffs remains the same as it was during the regular season, you will see some exciting fast paced hockey.

my picks:

East

Ottawa Senators vs Tampa Bay Lightning
This whole season Lightning has been unable to beat the Senators no matter who played in goal, and the former Stanley cup winner has way too many gaps in its defense to survive this series. It's a miracle they made it this far, as far better teams this season almost stole their 8th seed spot (such as Atlanta)

Senators in 5.

Carolina Hurricanes vs Montreal Canadiens

Carolina has been slumping recently, but they will win this series. This team carries way more firepower then the habs, and has more reliable goaltending. The Habs had a great streak with Cristobel Huet, mostly because he was a western conference goalie whose style was relatively unknown in the east, thus he was able to steal games. However, now he's old news, and that advantage is gone.

Canes in 6

NJ Devils vs Ny Rangers
There's no doubt about it, New Jersey is on an insane winning streak (and in fact I think they are capable of reaching the Conference finals). Very hot goaltending at the moment from Martin Brodeur, and the team is clicking really well. Rangers on the other hand have too many guys trying to get back in the game from injuries and are looking very mediocre. There is only so much Jagr can do, one guy can't cover for the whole team.

Devils in 6.

Buffalo Sabres vs Philadelphia Flyers
At the beginning of the season, anyone in their right mind would have picked Philly to take the cup (except of course a die hard sens fan who hear sens signed hasek), however, now it's not so clear. Philly has two main things going against it, its injury prone players (i.e. keith primeau and forseberg) and the fact it has one of the lousiest penalty kills in the conference. Buffalo on the other hand is riding a very hot streak. However, there are always the intangibles, as Philadelphia Flyers have more playoff experiance and a much better coach.

It's gonna be a hairy series, but I pick Philly in 7.

West

I'll let someone who follows the western conference closely make these calls, as I tend to watch 1 out of 15 games here. I will predict Detroit getting eliminated in second round (or conference finals at the most), due to the fact they've been riding a soft scheduale of Columbus, St louis and Chicago all season and beefing up their wins on that. I don't think they have what it takes to win the cup.

I will predict an upset by San Jose, and perhaps a conference win by Calgary (always liked their tough defensive game).

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Finals will be: New Jersey Vs Detroit

MindOverMatter said:
I will predict an upset by San Jose, and perhaps a conference win by Calgary (always liked their tough defensive game).
San Jose will be gone by the second round because Joe Thornton never shows up for the playoffs or for the Olympics.

Calgary relies too much on their goltender to win big games and they can't score. I wouldn't be surprised if Anaheim will catch them napping and take them out in the first round.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting. If I was to guess it right now, I'd predict Ottawa vs whoever won west (either Calgary or San Jose).

While NJ has solid goaltending, and has produced some nice scoring, I don't think it has the defense it had in the past playoffs to win the cup. Ottawa, while it's just getting out of al osing streak has finally gotten all its injured guys back and playing at their old level. If the ottawa D can play at their 80%, ottawa will win with emery in goal (who has been terrific when suppliedwith proper D). I know they have enough to get to conference finals even without hasek, and I'm sure he'll be back by then. After that, I see them winning east easy.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ottawa has always is and was pretender but never a serious contender. The team lost confidence after Hasek wen't down and I don't think he will fully recovered. Emery is not the answer between the pipes no matter how good the defence is in front of him. Lets see how well they hold up against Tampa (its a major test).

NJ is coming in to this on an 11 game winning streak, they are full of confidence and having brodeur in net is always a good thing.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i smell a leaf fan!

here's my 2c on the whole hasek situation. the fans have lost faith in the team after hasek went down, but the team itself is confident in emery's ability. ottawa has had a slight losing streak towards the end, but i mean, when your top 3 defencemen are out, you are gonna lose a lot of games, no way around it.

right now, ottawa has everybody back save hasek. havlat is back to where he was prior to his injury, and under these new NHL rules, he is one of the best players to have around. the whole team is stacked, and the defense will make up for Emery until hasek's ready.

as for tampa, they've never been a challange to ottawa (even last year when they won the cup), the sens are simply the winning hand in that game of rock-paper-scissors.

as for NJ, like I said, they will win their first series easy, but once they start going against higher tier teams, their weaknesses will be more noticable.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MindOverMatter said:
i smell a leaf fan!
Damn right! but nevertheless they still have to prove to everyone they are a playoff team(the real season starts now). That team is just too c0cky especially that Spezza guy already declaring Ottawa to win the cup.

Just watch for their problems against Tampa, you will see.

strams4ever

Don Juan
Reaction score
NHL Playoff Picture.

In the western conference I see Dallas coming out on top, maybe I'm favoring the hometown team just a little. They are a solid team with Turco and Mondano, also the Stars OT shootout is mind blowing. In the east the Devils seem to be the obious choice, I watch the West more.

icallug

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
its gonna be NJ because they are on a roll right now with hot goaltending, and detroit because they are a powerhouse with experience in the post season.....

i would be rooting for the canucks if they could pull it together and win for a change....its time for a new head coach. but thats another topic.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think there's a lot of people overestimating NJ. Yes they have won 11 games, but who have they played?

- 2 wins over the penguins (worst team in the league
- 3 wins over philly who is plagued with injuries
- 1 win over ny rangers where lundquist was injured
- 1 win over a slumping carolina team who's been losing to everybody ever since they clinched their division.
- 1 win over an ottawa senators team that was missing 3 main defencemen.

As far as I'm concerned, the only notable wins out of those 11 were the one vs Buffalo (who has had a hot streak) and 2 vs montreal who have been semi-decent lately. And Brodeur's goaltending has been good, but not amazing. Not one of those wins was a shutout, and many of them went into high numbers (even penguins scored 4 goals on them).

That being said, they will beat the Rangers easy, and while they are capable of conference finals, i think 2nd round exit is more probable.

As for Ottawa vs Tampa, if you have followed hockey for a while you will know that Senators have always won easy vs speedy teams like Tampa, since that is their style of gameplay. This season, even with Emery in net, Ottawa remained undefeated when it came to playing Tampa, and when it comes down to it, Tampa simply doesn't have the defence or the goaltending to survive in the playoffs. They are lucky to be in here, since that number 8 spot was more deserved by teams like Atlanta.

If you know anything about the Senators, it is that they struggle vs really physical teams. Leafs used to be one (but this year they got raped by the sens 7-1 in their season series), NJ used to be one (when they had Stevens / Niedermeyer). The only teams I've seen muscle Ottawa around like that this year have been Boston (who's not in the playoffs), and Philly. If anyone eliminates Ottawa from the playoffs, it will be philly as long as they can keep their injuries down.

In other news, Pat Quinn gets fired by the Leaf nation. Took you long enough!

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, I'll admit I'm a huge detroit fan. I've been watching detroit play since before I could talk (no joke). My parents are both from detroit and went to umich and I live and breath michigan sports.

Western Conference
Detroit vs. Edmunton
Well Detroit lost the first 2 games in OT then won the second 2 in single overtime and double overtime. Seems like two pretty well matched teams. It's definetely gonna be a struggle for detroit and it can go either way. Hopefully Detroit pulls it out but with a very old team they don't have the intensity they did in the 97 and 98 stanley cups. It's a little shocking they won in back in 02, but how well will they do in 06? It's hard to say at this point, we'll have to see how they play against edmunton then whoever they get matched up with afterwards.

My call:
Detroit in 6

Dallas vs. Colorado
Well Dallas has been plaing strong all year and colorado has playing somewhat sluggish this year. Some real power houses on both teams, but dallas has won 3 out of 4 times they played colorado. So I think that Dallas will play very well against colorado.

My call:
Dallas in 5

Calgary vs. Anaheim
Now we're starting to get into some of the more evenly paired teams in the west. Calgary and Anaheim have both won 2 and lost 2 when they met. So a very evenly matched. This is where you're gonna start seeing some upsets, according to points Calgary is in 6th and anaheim is 12th. It would be interesting to watch this matchup. Of course I still think calgary is gonna turn up the intensity in the playoffs and pull it out but it could go either way

My call:
Calgary in 7

Nashville vs San Jose
#4 and #5 in the west and #7 and #10 respectively overall points. Nashville's been playing well all season and sorta slumped in the end. San Jose has been off my radar, but since Nashville and San Jose are both 2 and 2 for when they met this is another conference that could go any way, and since nashville has started to slump my pick in for San Jose.

My Call:
San Jose in 6

Eastern Conference

New Jersey vs NY Rangers
New Jersey being 5th overall and rangers being 9th overall it isn't suprising that they're 4 and 4 for when they met, 2 of which are overtime losses. Suprisingly even matched teams, but the rangers don't have many star players and the devils have been playing very well this season.

My call:
New Jersey in 5

Ottowa Vs Tampa
If there's gonna be a sweep it's gonna be in this match-up. Ottowa has beat Tampa Bay 4 out of 4 times and, and tampa bay in 16th overall with ottowa being in 2nd, and of course they could be in first if detroit didn't have so many padding wins against St Louis, etc. Overall great games

My call:
Ottowa in 4

Carolina vs Montreal
Another sweep in the making. Carolina has won all the games against montreal and with carolina at 4 and montreal at 15 everything adding up to make another sweep. This is definetely gonna be carolina's matchup but I think that Montreal is gonna put up a fight.

My call:
Carolina in 5

Buffalo vs Philadelphia
This is gonna be an interesting matchup. Buffalo is 5 and philadelphia is 8th, so it's not an unbalanced matchup. Interestingly enough buffalo has won 3 out of the 4 games they met. I've always been a flyers fan so even though the odds are against them I think they can pull out the V.

My call:
Philadelphia in 6

As for overall it's too early to call, who I'd like to see, Detroit Vs Ottowa.

Who I think it's gonna be Dallas vs Ottowa with Ottowa getting the cup. But I'll be incredibly happy if detroit wins it all.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
some thoughts from game 1s:

- Huet did very well in habs/canes game (saved 42 shots), while gerber's numbers were a bit depressing, 15 out of 21 shots saved. this just wasn't carolina's night. So many shots, but too many from bad positions, and a few posts. That being said, if Montreal defense keeps allowing this many shots on Huet every night, expect the Habs to make an exit in 5.

- buffalo will win this series, but they got to protect their leads better. that goal from gagne almost put them in the grave.

- tampa just isn't physical enough to beat ottawa, and the fact they put in 4 wingers on a powerplay vs a team with most short handed goals in league spelled doom. huge tactical mistake that basically put tampa in its grave for that game. that being said, emery played an amazing playoff game, stopping 35 shots and allowing a 5-on-3 powerplay goal. havlat is definetly back to full power, and his speed in this game was scary at times.

heatley needs to wake up and get some points.

- i have to give detroit props for that game. they grinded it out and won in 2ndOT, which for a team their age is impressive as hell. however, the fact it had to go to 2 OTs is a bad mark against them, the #1 team should play the first playoff game in 2 years better then that.

flyinshark

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a Montreal fan and i feel like expressing my joy after tonight's crazy win in 2nd OT. Frankly, we didn't really deserve to win because of all those stupid penalties in the second period, but somehow we stole the win. I think Carolina is in trouble now and i expect great games for the Habs at home.

My prediction was Habs in 6, and many would have told me that i was dreaming in colors. Well, i think it is now possible. Very possible and perhaps maybe even easier than i thought!

Also, having been a Theodore fan for some time, i have been following the Avs - Dallas series. I expected Theodore to suck, and he kind of did. Yet, Colorado has managed to get 2 wins against Dallas, and this comes to me as a surprise. I thought Dallas would eliminate Colorado in 5 (because of weak goaltending for Col and great goalie for Dal). Needless to say that i am disapointed with Turco, and very surprised to see the Avs win 2 in a row in Dallas.

I could comment on the other series, but i dont take them at heart so much, so i will let others comment on them if they are fans of those other teams.

PS. Yeah, that hit was amazingly powerful and spectacular! Wow!

RedPill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Big Red Wings fan here. Pistons too for that matter...

It's totally unacceptable for the Wings to lose to Edmonton like they did Sunday! Hockey is not one of those sports where you can take a few minutes off because you know you are playing an inferior opponent and can "turn it on" when you need to. Maybe if teams routinely scored 10+ goals a game, but that's not the case. The last five minutes of the second period in game two Detroit played on auto-pilot, and gave up two lazy goals that cost them the game. Edmonton is not the Cinderella like Calgary and Anaheim were in the previous two playoffs. No excuse for that.

Where's this "Eastern Conference" you guys speak of? Is that where they get the finals opponent from? Never heard of it... :p

I personally would love to see Det demolish NJ in the finals, in 5 games (so they win at home) - thus letting Yzerman retire in style and giving Det a 4-3 edge in titles over NJ for the last decade, beating them head-to-head for the first time.

frivolousz21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate the redwings.
I am a blues fan :)

its hard to say who is that good or not.

but the playoffs have been the best ive ever seen in my life.

the hockey is fast and exciting and no lead is realy insurmountable.

Except the 8-2 Buffalo thumping of the SLOWER flyers

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
RedPill said:
Big Red Wings fan here. Pistons too for that matter...

It's totally unacceptable for the Wings to lose to Edmonton like they did Sunday! Hockey is not one of those sports where you can take a few minutes off because you know you are playing an inferior opponent and can "turn it on" when you need to. Maybe if teams routinely scored 10+ goals a game, but that's not the case. The last five minutes of the second period in game two Detroit played on auto-pilot, and gave up two lazy goals that cost them the game. Edmonton is not the Cinderella like Calgary and Anaheim were in the previous two playoffs. No excuse for that.

Where's this "Eastern Conference" you guys speak of? Is that where they get the finals opponent from? Never heard of it... :p

I personally would love to see Det demolish NJ in the finals, in 5 games (so they win at home) - thus letting Yzerman retire in style and giving Det a 4-3 edge in titles over NJ for the last decade, beating them head-to-head for the first time.
That's the thing, the Oilers are not an inferior team. Look at the division they play in during regular season, and look at the division Red Wings play in:

Northwest GP W L OTL Pts
y-Calgary 82 46 25 11 103
x-Colorado 82 43 30 9 95
x-Edmonton 82 41 28 13 95
Vancouver 82 42 32 8 92
Minnesota 82 38 36 8 84

Central GP W L OTL Pts
z-Detroit 82 58 16 8 124
x-Nashville 82 49 25 8 106
Columbus 82 35 43 4 74
Chicago 82 26 43 13 65
St. Louis 82 21 46 15 57

Edmonton played their season in a super competitive division, whereas Detroit was racking up points vs sh!tty teams like the Chicago, Columbus and St Louis. That's the reason you will see Detroit get president's trophy (like they did the year before the lockout), but always lose to some low seeded team in the playoffs. Their regular season cruise cheats them out of that competitive edge they need to survive in the playoffs.

As for the east:

That habs / canes game 2 was insane and probably one of the best hockey games i've ever seen.

the sens / lightning game 3 - watching lecavalier try to fight chara = comedy. he got his ass beat lol.

RedPill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MOM, you've got a point. I'm not a crazed fan who won't admit my team's flaws. If you want to take your analysis a step further, I'd say the wings tend to struggle year after year with opponents that take a much more physical approach to their game. A side effect of being in a crappy division is that it makes the regular season extremely boring to watch. Although Edmonton is better than your typical 8 seed, and their trap is working pretty well right now, I still don't think that they are good enough to get to the finals. If I'm wrong, at least it makes for good hockey.

How about the rules changes? Do you like them now that it's playoff time? I doubt we'll see any of those massive overtime games anymore with a 2-1 final score.

There certainly is a different vibe to the playoffs this year - there never used to be so many intense first-round games. There are also a lot of upsets brewing. It used to be the top three seeds advanced in 4/5 games without much hoopla, maybe one upset. I wish I had more time to watch.

flyinshark

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This year's playoffs are the best i have seen in the 10 years i have been watching hockey. I watched almost all the games so far and most have been trully captivating.

Penalties getting called is a genious idea. Why didn't they think of this before?:) I think most goals scored so far have been powerplay goals.

Lots of goals scored too... I am loving every moment of it!

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ottawa Senators vs Tampa Bay Lightning
This whole season Lightning has been unable to beat the Senators no matter who played in goal, and the former Stanley cup winner has way too many gaps in its defense to survive this series. It's a miracle they made it this far, as far better teams this season almost stole their 8th seed spot (such as Atlanta)

Senators in 5.
Like I said earlier, Ottawa does extremly well vs finesse teams like tampa. Emery surpassed my expectations, and Havlat exploded just like I said he would. All in all, Sens are definetly a different club under Brian Murray, they play very physical hockey now, and it is making a difference. Replacing Marion Hossa with Dany Heatley was Ottawa's best move since trading Yashin for Chara and Spezza lol.

On another note, John Tortorella is still my fav coach to listen to during press conferences. I can't believe he ripped into Graham like that lol.