Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

New Routine? Critique pls

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys. I stopped bodybuilding for a LONG time ( if any of you remember I started a bulking journal long time ago this year ). Well I decided it will in fact help pickup wise, and I like lifting weights anyways, (just dont like eating so much), so I might as well get back into bodybuilding.

Note before I list the routine. In my experience, SHOULDER and CHEST on the same day DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. One of the lifts will suffer ( whichever is the second one). Thats why my workout is not traditional style.
But critique on the rest:

Here, I altered it a bit:
(its a VERY SMALL "fitness center" that is part of the apartment building. There is no squat rack ( or else Id be doin squats!) Theres just Dumbbels up to 50 lbs and a bench. And theres one of those like 5 in 1 machine thingies)

5-8 reps unless indicated

MONDAY:

Legs- 3 sets DB Lunges(20 reps), 2 sets Lying Leg Curl
Chest- 4 sets DB Bench
Bicep- 2 sets DB Curl
Abs- 3 sets Weighted Crunches (20 reps)

FRIDAY:

Back- 3 sets DB Bent over row, 2 sets Cable Front Pulldown, 1 set DB Shrug
Shoulders- 4 sets DB Shoulder Press
Tricep- 3 sets DB Overhead 1arm Tricep Extension

EDIT: My college has a gym, which probly has more **** than this fitness center (ive never been but im SURE it must have). So I guess I could try that out if Need be.

CrizzleGA

Don Juan
Reaction score
Try working out at your college, that is what im currently doing and they have everything I can think of. As for your split you might want to try a three day split something like: Monday - Chest/Tri's, Wensday - Legs (maybe try to work shoulders in here), Friday - Back/Bi's. Hit each muscle group each week one good hard time and let it rest for the week. Try to incoperate as many compound exercises into your workout as possible such as: deadlifts, squats, bench press, weighted dips/pull ups, ect. Just an idea not something you have to do everyone is different.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I havent looked at the gym but if I use the college one im gonna replace some of these lameass exercises

Lunges replaced with SQUATS! (do i even need to do lying leg curls? Or could I just do 4 sets of Squats?)
Curl replaced with CG CHINUPS!(if i can only do real low reps, ill probly do like 5 sets)
DB Shoulder press replaced with Seated Military Press

Do you think I have enough sets for all the exercises?

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sets are fine. You need to put biceps on your back day and triceps on your chest day.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude.. best tip is to just change gym, if you do not have a olympic bars and dbs up to 50!! then you will limit yourself alot. I meaa, it basicly excludes the best exercises for the body. Try the gym at your school.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by manuva
Sets are fine. You need to put biceps on your back day and triceps on your chest day.
That's entirely a matter of taste.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lost
I havent looked at the gym but if I use the college one im gonna replace some of these lameass exercises

Lunges replaced with SQUATS! (do i even need to do lying leg curls? Or could I just do 4 sets of Squats?)
Curl replaced with CG CHINUPS!(if i can only do real low reps, ill probly do like 5 sets)
DB Shoulder press replaced with Seated Military Press

Do you think I have enough sets for all the exercises?
Hams will be hit by deadlifts alot, I go with 3-4 sets of squats and then forgo the hamstring exercise... (might throw in a coupld of SLDL some time). Leg curls are not unecessary though.. but there are more effecient exercises.

Do standing military presses, it will build up your core. And add deadlifts.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo guys, I just looked at the SCHOOL gym today, its kinda nice although somewhat busy? Whatever, its still 100 times better than my apartments.

Here are things they had
-Leg Press
-Swiss Ball
-Preacher
-Squat Rack I saw 2 different types I think, was kinda confusing. One with a lot of bars and one with only a bottom one and a adjustable one)
-Incline Bench Press
-Seated Military
-Decline Bench Press
-Flat and Incline Benches (for DB's)
-Dumbells .. these were kind of confusin cuz they had regular steel(or whatever dumbbells are made out of) db's and they had these ones with a bunch of round weights on the dumbbell. It didnt look organized, but the highest weight I saw was 90, which is a lot higher than 50 :).
-Leg Curl and Leg Extension
-Lat Pulldown and that tricep pushdown thing
-Cable Row
-Assisted Chinup (NOT CLOSE GRIP)
-Assisted Dip
-Regular Dip & that knee crunch thing
-Bikes (who needs bikes when bulking :p)
-treadmills ( see above :p )

One thing I didn't notice, unless I just overlooked it, I didnt see a REGULAR chinup bar where I could do close grip on, And id really like to do these because I have a hard time growing biceps, and this exercise might help. Do you guys have any advice?

Ok so lets see, I should alter my routine a bit now since I know I have all thes eother things.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Remember the purpose of this is BODYBUILDING, not powerlifting/strength. I want Size/MASS. Tell me if these are good exercises. I know Compound ones are the best.
OK HOW ABOUT THIS?

5-8 reps unless indicated

MONDAY:

Legs- 4 Sets Squats ( should I do more squats or should I put another exercise, and what?)

Chest- 4 sets DB Bench (add acouple sets of flys or JUST 4 Sets Bench?)

Bicep- 5 sets CG Chinup ( if there is one , if not, I dnno, i guess curls?)

Abs- Knee Raise On Parallel Bar 20 reps (good exercise?)

FRIDAY:

Back- 3 sets DB Bent over row (do you think I should do rows or deadlifts? or both and drop pulldowns and shrugs? I want a big wide upper back but obviously not awide lower back since that would take away from v-shape) , 2 sets Cable Front Pulldown, 1 set DB Shrug

Shoulders- 4 sets Standing Military Press

Tricep- 4 sets CG Bench

Last edited:

C00L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
chinup, even close gripped is primarily a back exercise although you can make it hit your biceps, i dont think its very effective for that.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmm.. Thats weird. Lifeforce on the other thread "what i learned in 1.5 years" said that was the exercise that made his arms grow...? Oh well I gues it is a back exercise since he also mentioned rows... hmm
How about incline curl then?

I feel like I should have more exercises or sets for some reason, altho I am a bit afraid of overtraining. ?

btw thanks for all advices so far.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, back exercises hit the biceps alot, chin-ups, rows are great for biceps growth. A guy who can do enourmous amounts on the back exercises will get big arms no matter what.

Maybe you can toss in a set or two of standard barbell curls. Like 2-3 sets CG chin-ups and 2 sets of curls to finish it off. I really have no clue on what's best try and find what will fit you best. Just make sure you pull the CG chins with your arms, try to exclude the lats as much as you can.

On leg day, you can toss in some hamstring work, if you are able to do it do both squats and SLDL. The heavier weight you will lift the harder it will get to do both. But if you can do 3-4 sets each. Hamstrings will get hit by deadlifts though so IMO it's a little of your own choice how much you want big hamstrings. At the moment I rely entirely on deadlifts for hamstrings and only do 4 set of squats and 4 set of calf raises as my leg workout.

IMO do both bench and incline... 3-4 sets each with great form so you hit your chest.

On back day, do both... 3 set deads, 3 set rows... drop the shrugs. Deads and rows will hit the traps hard. Pull-downs or pull-ups it's your choice as long as you see your hands as hooks and try to work with the lats only.

If you want mostly size gains try going lighter like 6-10 reps.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OK so.. should I do Back and Bicep same day then, if im gonna do heavy chinups and ****?

6-10 reps unless indicated

MONDAY:

Legs- 4 Sets Squats

Chest- 4 sets DB Bench

Abs- 3 sets Knee Raise On Parallel Bar 20 reps (good exercise?)

FRIDAY:

Back- 3 sets DB Bent over row, 3 sets Deadlifts, 2 sets CG Chinup

Tricep- 4 sets CG Bench

Bicep - 2 sets BB Curl

Jeez thats like 11 sets monday and 18 Friday! hhmmm, wonder if i can balance this some without taking away from how I lift bad with chest/shoulder on same day and possibly chest/tricep on same day.
Maybe if I put Chest, Back , and Bicep on Monday.... then Legs, Shoulders, Triceps , Abs on friday. That would make it pretty even, 14 sets on Monday and 15 on Friday

so it would be like:

MONDAY:

Back- 3 sets DB Bent over row, 3 sets Deadlifts, 2 sets CG Chinup

Bicep - 2 sets BB Curl

Chest- 4 sets DB Bench

FRIDAY:

Legs- 4 Sets Squats

Tricep- 4 sets CG Bench

Abs- 3 sets Knee Raise On Parallel Bar 20 reps

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Andrew whats up man, just hit me up on AIM today sorry i couldn't help out last night i had this terrible test to study for

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You really don't need to do more than 2 sets on anything, except maybe squats. If you haven't fatigued the muscle properly after 2 sets, you're not lifting heavy enough.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You really don't need to do more than 2 sets on anything, except maybe squats. If you haven't fatigued the muscle properly after 2 sets, you're not lifting heavy enough.
Everything this man says is golden, and I mean that sincerely. Listen to him. This is also why I'm a fan of rest-pausing (and DC, natch), that way you have no choice but to really destroy the muscle.

(incidentally, squats only need two sets too, one low-rep heavy and then a widowmaker :D )

My only comment Lost, is that on a 2-day split you could probably work out more frequently (albeit with less sets), something like M - W - F then M again.. so you've hit your muscles twice in eight days. Keep it to 1-2 sets per exercise and try to hit everything, i.e. biceps, forearms, lats, back mass, triceps, shoulders, chest, hamstrings, quads, calves, abs. It's up to you though.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

So if i manage a set at 55 lbs of 9 then 7... i shouldn't do the last set of 6-7?

If i move up to 60 lbs in db flat bench then i'd only be able to do 6-7 for the first set then 4-5 for the next one and that would be out of my rep range for bulking.

What is "fatiguing the muscle properly?" How am i supposed to know when that occurs and what weight i should really be at?

What i tend to do now is grab weights i can do about 8-10 with. I do as many as i can each set. My last one is usually a decent struggle. I do 3 sets. The number of reps i do in one set seems to have nothing to do with the number of reps i can do in another set if i rest 2-3 minutes.