Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

New cutting diet... Please comment/critique

Miles Davis

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey men, this is my first day of cutting. I am pretty new to dieting and am striving for the 40/40/20 split between P/C/F. I am 21, 5'11.5" 188lbs, ~%16 bf

Here goes:

8 oz Skim Milk
1 cup Kashi GoLean
4 egg whites

5 oz Ground Beef
4 oz Salmon
Slice of whole wheat bread
2 slices of fat free cheese

6 turkey slices

1 can tuna
1 cup cooked white rice (will be changed to brown real soon)
2 slices of fat free cheese

6 turkey slices

2 scoops ON whey
8 oz Skim Milk

1801 cals
43 g fat (22%)
153 g carbs (31%
211 g protein (47%)

the ratios were a bit off. I also did not eat any veggies today which I should do starting tomorrow. What else can be fixed? Thanks

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looks alright tbh. Certainly not perfect, but not many people have a perfect diet anyway. Look at getting some healthy fats in there.

Cut down to that over time, dont just jump right into that.

It might be a good idea to up the calorie intake every now and then. I prefer once a week, not once every four days.

eric66

Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats cutting? lol

I'm guessing...losing weight I'm not sure though. I'm a no0b. =\

Miles Davis

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: New cutting diet... Please comment/critique

Sazuko, thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure what my maintenance calories are. I'm still waiting for my bodyfat calipers to come in the mail. I hear tell that you are supposed to use a mild caloric deficit of maybe 200 or 300 calories from your maintenance value. I've also read that the mainteneance value is obtained by multiplying your lean body mass, your total weight *(100%- bf%), by about 12, approximately. Can you or someone else here verify or advise?

I am not aiming to go into starvation, I just need a number to start with.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Sazuko

Even 1800 calories is really low, your body WILL adjust at some time and weightloss will halt.

Try this:

day1: 2200
day2: 2200
day3: 2200
day4: 2800 MAINTENANCE, boost your metabolism

After that continue with the 2200 again.

The best way is to burn off the fat with intense cardio and weight lifting.

Starving off the fat is not very healthy, 99% of people do it anyway.

BURN off that fat, starving should be left to places where there is no abundance off food!

The ratio's look good.

On 2200 cutting days you can maybe lower the carbs to 35% and on 2800 make it 50% to load up again.

40/40/20 is excellent base tho.

Get your ass moving, dont starve.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sazuko,

These 'starvation' diets are proper keto diets. What pro bodybuilders use to get to 2-3%bf for competitions and are unhealthy. Just thought I'd say it's not a normal diet, cause you seem to talk a lot about these starvation diets. They are tempary and only used to get to really unnaturally low BF%'s.

Hope that's made a thing or two clearer.

talrock

Don Juan
Reaction score
Try this:

Maintain a regiment of exercise which includes resistance training. This is important, to achieve your goal.

Take some measurments: (first thing in the A.M. is desirable, but as long as you measure/record at the same time it should be sufficient)

Bodyweight
Neck (at the adams apple)
Waist (horizontal at the navel)
Chest (horizontal at the nipple line)
Bicep (at the widest point, horizontal to the floor relaxed)
Quads. (at the widest point, relaxed)

Subrtract 500 calories from your current (averaged over a week or so) daily intake. (I would suggest carbs. and/or fat. Maintain 1g p/lb of lean b/m or greater for protein intake)

See what happens for a week or two.

If nothing, either subtract an additional 100-200 calories daily and/or add in 30 minutes of cardio a couple times a week. (incidentally cardio isn't "required" it's simply a mechanism to burn additional calories)

See what happens for another week or two.

Complete this process for the duration of the cycle aiming for 1 - 2 pounds of weight loss p/week until you reach your goal.

Take measurements every 2 - 4 weeks and compare against the original measurments to determine progress. Additionally, use the mirror, fit of clothing or comments from persons who judgment you trust to establish success.

Hope this helps.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think 1600 cals a day is "starving" if you're at 160-180 lbs or so.... it's based on how big you are. Shoot, I have a friend who's a ballerina, she goes on a diet at like 1000 calories a day... granted she weighs 100 lbs... (She's not anorexic either... just think of it as a "competition weight")

Now... if your body is fatigued, telling you you're starving, and stuff like that, then by all means, up the calories. Whatever works for you, is what works for you!

I was at 1600 for several weeks while cutting... not more than 6 or so tho. I had a cheat day in there, and in addition, you can eat a lot of food at 1600 calories if most of it's coming from cals and protein. At 4 calories per gram, that's 400 grams of food. That's like 3.5 lbs of food... whereas a 2500 calorie diet is like 5.6 or so lbs of food... it's all relative to ratios.

Do waht fits you the best, and play with things. Find out what your body needs, and listen to what it tells you.... depriving it for a while can actually teach you more about what affects you and how it affects you, and that's a valuable lesson to learn.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wasnt gonna reply again to this thread, buuuuuut:

Diesel was way over 200lbs. 255-275 I think.. I cant find the thread he said it in, but let me tell you, the guy probably didnt go much over 2100 even at his weight.

he also said 1600 rock bottom. If you were doing weights and then cardio every other day, you'd screw yourself up anyway.