Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Never been to a school dance

Viper423

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, I'm a senior this year and I have never been to any school dance ever...no homecoming, prom, ect... I've always been known as the shy one except for the past 2 years I've really changed and become more confident....girls have even told me how they have noticed how I've changed...for the better that is. Well, I have never asked a girl to a dance before much less asked a girl out. I'm 17 years old and have never had a girlfriend. Well, I go to small private school so everyone knows everyone. Homecoming is in October, but guys usually start asking girls at the beginning of September. Well, I really don't know what to do. I want to ask a girl but am still very shy despite how much confidence I've gained. And girls always get mad at me every year for not going to dances. I would like to go, but no way would I go by myself. I don't even know how to dance so would probably embarrass myself anyways. And my parents are the kind of parents that still think I'm a little kid, which has kept me from trying to get a girlfriend because I don't want them to think I'm growing up on them. It's hard to explain. Please don't flame me, I need advice. Thanks

DarkfalconIV

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
heres what you do. First pick a girl to go out with. Ask her. Just call her aside sometime and get her alone and then ask her. That way if she does say no its not that big of a deal. Women don't brag about rejecting guys. Most of them keep quiet. Then just try again.

Dancing- Either one I can explain or you can go to a close girlfriend and ask her to help. If your a friend of hers she'll be happy to help you sometime. Slow dancings pretty basic. I don't know what else they'd do that actually involves steps If you ever get lost at a dance just look at the guy next to you. If you really think you need practice. Go to a dance club or a party. You fail 100% of the shots you don't take man.(Or if you can't just watch some movies that have danicng in them and mock the actors. Dancings very easy the only hard parts not being nervous)

Your parents shouldn't care to much. An if they do just lie to them. Its not pretty but if you have to do it.

What you really now isn't tips but an confidence boost. Here's what i recomend. Do everything you can to boost your confidence. Go to the mall some time and flirt with every girl you see. Be yourself. Don't care what other people think of you. After all if they hate you. Your not the one living with the constant hate. they are. Relax.--Ask sombody else and do what flows. Be natural

Da Game

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Isn't it odd how such a small thing about asking a girl to go to a dance with you becomes such a big thing? Seriously.. EVERY girl is dying to go to EVERY dance. Yet a lot of them aren't able to, or have to go with a bunch of their chick-friends, because no guy will ask them. This is one situation where the "market" is in your favor - there are more girls who want to go to dances than there are guys willing to ask them. You're doing a HUGE favor to any girl you do choose to ask. Girls attach huge social status to having/not having a date to a dance - no girl will reject you unless she's already going with someone (oh well, not your fault) or she thinks she can do better (which if you apply the ideas in the DJ bible, won't happen). It's all good.

The reason a really simple thing like this becomes hard is because you think about it too much. Maybe you've heard of putting girls on a pedestal; you can put activities/events on a pedestal too. You attach all kinds of importance to a dance (like being cool, being able to get girls, etc.) so of course you'll be nervous about it - you've created a huge psychological stake for yourself. However, in reality, dances are NOT A BIG DEAL. You go to dinner with a person, probably in a group, then you go stand on a dance floor for a couple hours.

I went to all the mixers my sophomore year. Junior year, my school put doomfook-style regulations on how we could dance, so I only went to the christmas dance (didn't go to prom). I got so pissed at my date there that I almost walked out on her and ditched her there... I'm a senior now, so I'll have to go to prom this year, just to uphold appearances... But it still feels like more of a chore than a blast. This is the thing you're worrying over turning out badly?

About making yourself look dumb dancing... I used to have the same fear. There are a couple factors you have to take into account though.

1. 90% of the other people have no idea what they're doing either. I don't know anyone who has taken dance lessons (I'm sure they're out there, but they're not common). That means most everybody is on the same playing field as you are.

2. Dancing is really, really easy. Rap - move your feet around, move your hips around, somewhat related to the beat. You can also get really good at dancing to rap if you feel like practicing at home... There are threads on this. Rock - jump around. Slow - grab a girl. Her arms go over your shoulders. Your arms go around her waist. How close you dance to her depends on preference.

3. Nobody is watching. People aren't evaluating your skills. This is always what bugged me; "what if I look stupid??" This is an illogical fear... Everyone around you is doing the exact same thing, and they're too involved to be judging you. If anyone IS watching, it's probably because you're GOOD, not the other way around. Also, keep in mind that even if people ARE watching, and you totally suck, you're still doing better than all the guys who just sit on the edges of the floor doing nothing.. It's pathetic. Don't be like that.

This ended up a bit longer than I intended.. But I hope it was helpful. Being really shy sucks, good luck with turning that around.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Da Game
Isn't it odd how such a small thing about asking a girl to go to a dance with you becomes such a big thing? Seriously.. EVERY girl is dying to go to EVERY dance. Yet a lot of them aren't able to, or have to go with a bunch of their chick-friends, because no guy will ask them. This is one situation where the "market" is in your favor - there are more girls who want to go to dances than there are guys willing to ask them. You're doing a HUGE favor to any girl you do choose to ask. Girls attach huge social status to having/not having a date to a dance - no girl will reject you unless she's already going with someone (oh well, not your fault) or she thinks she can do better (which if you apply the ideas in the DJ bible, won't happen). It's all good.

The reason a really simple thing like this becomes hard is because you think about it too much. Maybe you've heard of putting girls on a pedestal; you can put activities/events on a pedestal too. You attach all kinds of importance to a dance (like being cool, being able to get girls, etc.) so of course you'll be nervous about it - you've created a huge psychological stake for yourself. However, in reality, dances are NOT A BIG DEAL. You go to dinner with a person, probably in a group, then you go stand on a dance floor for a couple hours.

I went to all the mixers my sophomore year. Junior year, my school put doomfook-style regulations on how we could dance, so I only went to the christmas dance (didn't go to prom). I got so pissed at my date there that I almost walked out on her and ditched her there... I'm a senior now, so I'll have to go to prom this year, just to uphold appearances... But it still feels like more of a chore than a blast. This is the thing you're worrying over turning out badly?

About making yourself look dumb dancing... I used to have the same fear. There are a couple factors you have to take into account though.

1. 90% of the other people have no idea what they're doing either. I don't know anyone who has taken dance lessons (I'm sure they're out there, but they're not common). That means most everybody is on the same playing field as you are.

2. Dancing is really, really easy. Rap - move your feet around, move your hips around, somewhat related to the beat. You can also get really good at dancing to rap if you feel like practicing at home... There are threads on this. Rock - jump around. Slow - grab a girl. Her arms go over your shoulders. Your arms go around her waist. How close you dance to her depends on preference.

3. Nobody is watching. People aren't evaluating your skills. This is always what bugged me; "what if I look stupid??" This is an illogical fear... Everyone around you is doing the exact same thing, and they're too involved to be judging you. If anyone IS watching, it's probably because you're GOOD, not the other way around. Also, keep in mind that even if people ARE watching, and you totally suck, you're still doing better than all the guys who just sit on the edges of the floor doing nothing.. It's pathetic. Don't be like that.

This ended up a bit longer than I intended.. But I hope it was helpful. Being really shy sucks, good luck with turning that around.

Listen to this ^^^. I went to a dance last night and actually danced for the first time. Ive never had sooo much fun doing anything. Just let the fears go and have fun.

Boricua_33015

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what do people usually wear at dances? Do they go all out with suits? Do they dress preppy sort of, like going to a club? with metallic colored muscle shirts and black pants? can you just wear some kahkis with boots and a polo shirt?

Ive never been to a dance (not even a party) so I dont know how things go.

DarkfalconIV

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Matters on the dance. I go to them all the time. Most of the time women in high school esspecially. Girls love dancing and men hate it. so free women with no compitition unless you count gay guys who also like dancing.

For a normal dance something casual. For me I like the wigger effect if thats what you call it. I grew up in the slums so its ok for me. CAuse I can wear that look and I'm also a rapper so... But if you want to be your own style just wear something you normally wear to school. MAke sure its comfortabel oh and make sure it can't get water logged. After an hour of dancing you and everone else will have sweet bead on your forehead. Really sexy. Trust me. Wear B.O. derent. I'll write a post on my experience with dances.

For a Prom normally a blackn' whit suit.

mystik

Don Juan
Reaction score
how to dance? just dont care how stupid you look. HAVE FUN! Be the crazy ugly dance man, you'll bring those around you to life!

sonick182

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you, senior year, never been to a school dance... but then the grad events came, and I went, and OMG, i was totally missing out...

At first its really awkwar the first time, but when you get into it, its sooooooo fun.. even though im not a great dancer (but i DO have rhythm, so i dont look horrible), it was just incredibly fun... It takes a bit to really let go and have fun, but once you do it, you're feelin the beats, in the groove, and just movin with everybody else, the feeling is just insane... nobody really watches you dance (unless they make a circle and you get pushed in haha), but its insanely fun...

If you've got friends that haven't gone dancing, you can use it to the advantage, and start dancing, giving them the guts to dance, giving you even more confidence....

So total in my HS life, i've gone to four dances... three for grad events, and one school dance... the grad events were soooo fun.. the school dance sucked ass...

The thing for me is the music's gotta be flowin, i gotta feel the rhythms and everybudy else has to be feelin them too...

DarkfalconIV

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah it matter on the songs at the danc to. Most of the time its rap which is really easy to dance to and fun speccially in freak dancing. Grind random women. It's hot ****. Just get into it. My one real big tip.

Since you've never danced before. About an half hour for the dance put some music on in you rooms. and dance just to losen up. That way when you get to the floor it'll take less toime to warm up and you'll enjoy yourself more.