Why "Whatever You Want" Keeps You Single

She says the movie looks dumb; you suddenly agree. She tests you with a little attitude; you apologize for nothing.

You think you're being easy to get along with. She reads something else entirely: a man with no edges. Nothing to hold on to. No friction, no tension, no reason to wonder what he really thinks.

The "22 Rules" taught me to push back — playfully, calmly, without needing her approval. Strange things happened after that.

Read more...

Nerd!

D

DariusSolluman

Guest
Yo.

This is my first post, though I've lurked for a while. I've seen similiar topics before, but neither searches nor the Bible quite hit on my exact concentration of problems.

So, new post. Also, yo to everyone here. You are an amusing bunch, so ya know. :)

Anywho...

I'm a nerd. No, seriously. I like gaming (tabletop and roleplaying). I read a lot. I go to cons. I will happily talk about ethics all night long, watched Buffy, and am studying Computer Science while minoring in Philosophy. I play Go, know who both Noam Chomsky and Scott McCloud are, and can talk a little about a whole lot.

I also dislike crowds and loud events. It's not a matter of needing to relax- it's that I /can't/ relax during them. I'm moderetly asocial, but fight it actively so that I can meet new people without being terrified.

I'm also a reasonably confident person. At least, in my opinion. I know who I am, and where my lines are, and refuse to bend cause of simple pressure. I'm reasonably happy, albiet frustrated in my inability to even get my heart broken.

From the start and the last, you can probally divine my problem. None of my hobbies or interests are exactly women intensive. Making me sadly single basically my entire life.

It's getting to a silly degree. And I'm really sick of both 'Be Yourself' advise (which ya'll rightly pointed out, I think for the first time in my experience, the near utter falsity of this idea), and 'Become someone else' (drop my hobbies, take up more mainstream masculine interests). I cannot seem to meet women, and the highly limited set I do meet have about zero in common with me for grounds of conversation.

Now, this isn't purely perception either. I go to Georgia Tech. A survey conducted here last year showed that over 80% of the campus' co-ed population is in a relationship, and of the remaining one in five, they're either too busy or simply not interested. (I also conducted this survey, to satisfy my personal curiousity. I'll post about it later some time :) This stems from there being about three guys to every girl. Shock.

So... I dunno. Help? I'm rather at a dead end- I've explored my own ideas into the ground. I'm out of thoughts. I know others on this board must have been in a similiar boat to myself before- any advise?
 

"You'll Never Feel READY to Walk Over"

Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.

You've been "getting ready" for two years.

She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.

Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.

Read more...

sharpshooter

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
275
Reaction score
4
I'm 20.. I was somewhat the same three years ago, except I really wanted wanted to do things. So I started hanging out with my friends on the weekends, drinking, started working out, my marks dropped, lost the glasses, got confident. It wasn't until a year ago that I got comfortable with women, in my mind I still had the old persona of myself, but that's 80 percent gone now.

i became who i was all along yet morphed into someone new.

I totally changed
 

HuuBinh

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Dec 3, 2002
Messages
292
Reaction score
2
Location
ATL
hey Darius, come over to GA state. dawg, plently of fine looking female here.
 

Page

Master Don Juan
Joined
Sep 3, 2001
Messages
2,007
Reaction score
1
Age
42
Location
Long Beach, CA.
Originally posted by DariusSolluman
Yo.

This is my first post, though I've lurked for a while. I've seen similiar topics before, but neither searches nor the Bible quite hit on my exact concentration of problems.

>Then maybe I can be of assistance.


So, new post. Also, yo to everyone here. You are an amusing bunch, so ya know. :)

>well, we try. :)

Anywho...

I'm a nerd. No, seriously. I like gaming (tabletop and roleplaying). I read a lot. I go to cons. I will happily talk about ethics all night long, watched Buffy, and am studying Computer Science while minoring in Philosophy. I play Go, know who both Noam Chomsky and Scott McCloud are, and can talk a little about a whole lot.


>Just doing what makes you happy doesn't make you a nerd, provided that you balance it out with other things that gravitate towards social interaction.

I also dislike crowds and loud events. It's not a matter of needing to relax- it's that I /can't/ relax during them. I'm moderetly asocial, but fight it actively so that I can meet new people without being terrified.


>Yes, you do need work in this area, but at least you are trying, which is more than i can say for some people that I see everyday. Just keep working at it and it will become easier as you go along.

I'm also a reasonably confident person. At least, in my opinion. I know who I am, and where my lines are, and refuse to bend cause of simple pressure. I'm reasonably happy, albiet frustrated in my inability to even get my heart broken.

>answer me this-- is it because you know how to be confident in the face of rejection (like any DJ should be) or is it because oyu have a comfort zone and don't try new things? (Your description hints at both)

From the start and the last, you can probally divine my problem. None of my hobbies or interests are exactly women intensive. Making me sadly single basically my entire life.

>It's all about balance. Why should you put aside what makes oyu happy when you can have the best of both worlds in moderation?

It's getting to a silly degree. And I'm really sick of both 'Be Yourself' advise (which ya'll rightly pointed out, I think for the first time in my experience, the near utter falsity of this idea), and 'Become someone else' (drop my hobbies, take up more mainstream masculine interests).

>Like I keep saying, balance it. Do what you want on your own time, but be sure oyu know how to interact in social situations.



I cannot seem to meet women, and the highly limited set I do meet have about zero in common with me for grounds of conversation.

>The DJB is full of conversational guides. Read, assimilate, and use.

Now, this isn't purely perception either. I go to Georgia Tech. A survey conducted here last year showed that over 80% of the campus' co-ed population is in a relationship, and of the remaining one in five, they're either too busy or simply not interested. (I also conducted this survey, to satisfy my personal curiousity. I'll post about it later some time :) This stems from there being about three guys to every girl. Shock.

>So, broaden your scope. Look for women off campus.


So... I dunno. Help? I'm rather at a dead end- I've explored my own ideas into the ground. I'm out of thoughts. I know others on this board must have been in a similiar boat to myself before- any advise?


>Summary: the bestthing oyu can do now is to explore new things and start your self-improvement process. Once you start developing yourself as described in the DJB and in my very own Book of Shuma Gora, you will find that self improvement becomes easier and oyu reap the benefits almost immediately. Good luck to you.




 

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Joined
Nov 13, 2001
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
5
Originally posted by sharpshooter
I'm 20.. I was somewhat the same three years ago, except I really wanted wanted to do things. So I started hanging out with my friends on the weekends, drinking, started working out, my marks dropped, lost the glasses, got confident. It wasn't until a year ago that I got comfortable with women, in my mind I still had the old persona of myself, but that's 80 percent gone now.

i became who i was all along yet morphed into someone new.

I totally changed

You can do that coz you're only 20. Not that I'm that much older, than you, btw....


It is much, much easier to create a new identity for yourself when you're young, as you are still forming as a person. It's my opinion that a man really doesn't know exactly who or what he is until he is at least 25 years old. For some men it takes even longer - until 30. After that, your life experiences and age make you pretty set in your ways and identity, so a drastic overhaul like you had could be psychologically disorienting, and sometimes traumatic. So do it while you're still young - if you don't like where you are or what you've become, work HARD to improve yourself, to mold a NEW YOU.
;)
 

"How I Made Sure No Woman Ever Friend-Zoned Me Again"

She calls you when her car breaks down. When she needs help moving. When some guy she's actually dating treats her badly.

You're the listener. The reliable one. The guy who would treat her so much better, if she'd just open her eyes.

She won't. You trained her to see you as the low-effort option — the friend who requires zero risk and zero investment. Every favor dug the hole deeper.

The "22 Rules" break the pattern. You'll stop auditioning for a role she already cast and become the man she chases instead. It starts with Rule 1.

Read more...

Top