Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

need some cologne advice

Naughty Ninja

Banned
Reaction score
moneyisking said:
just need to buy a cologne, but my knowledge in fragrance and cologne is almost as good as building a bridge, so I feel pretty lucky to have you guys give me a specified answer.

for preference, I like a fresh, inviting scent. I highly appreciate your recommendation. Thank you.
There are tons of good colognes.

Get your azz into a nice high end department store near you as they carry the best ones usually. Or Macy's etc. Talk to the chicks at the fragrance counters and ask them which ones they personally like if you strike up a good conversation you can ask if they have some samples to give you. (The tiny spray bottles they give out. Not the testers. So at least you have some.). Hugo Boss Black, Armani Code, Givenchy, Nautica, True Religion, Burberry, Kenneth Cole, Lacoste etc. too many to remember.

Issey Miyake is a GREAT colonge. It's pretty expensive, like 110 dollars. I'd recommend going to a store and trying it. Spray some from the tester bottle. Bangin!

**If you want something not too expensive try Chrome by Azzaro.**

There's another new one in a black bottle. I forget the name and manufacturer. I'll update this tonight when I get home from work. I have to find it and ask the chicks who work the fragrance counter what the name of it is. TONS of chicks all ages LOVE it. It smells great. It's around 75 dollars for the bottle. I have a bunch of samples I keep for special occassions.

I get tons upon tons of different cologne samples working there and just hitting the chicks up telling them to give me some new ones all the time.

On a side note it's great working part time at a high end dept store. Tons of new chicks all the time. Hot as hell co-workers, free cologne samples, crazy good employee discounts plus coupons and getting stuff first off clearance. I go berserk in the place with clothes, colognes, meeting new chicks while making extra spending money.

***Nevermind I found the samples I have of the one I forgot in the black bottle. It's called **Legend by Mont Blanc.*** Try that shizz out. Chicks LOVE that one. It sells a lot. Google it and you'll see practically every review it gets 5 stars. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/montblanc-legend-eau-de-toilette/3289672

One last thing. No matter what cologne you decide to buy...Do not be afraid or too "cool" to ask for a coupon for a discount off your purchase. Usually fragrance gets no discounts. But you never know if there is a special with a coupon. You could at least possibly get 15% or more off of it. And when you buy it ASK FOR SAMPLES of other colognes. They'll usually throw a bunch in your bag that the companies give away to try so that you have different little extra ones to try or wear so you don't always wear your best one you bought.

Chamber36

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
foreverAFC said:
cool water
I agree.

Issey miyake also is a nice cologne.

I like to switch between the two, usually go for cool water.

Naughty Ninja

Banned
Reaction score
Chamber36 said:
I agree.

Issey miyake also is a nice cologne.

I like to switch between the two, usually go for cool water.

Cool Water is a classic! Aqua Di Gio too. *I'd personally go for something new that smells great so chicks are like: "WTF is that? You smell fantastic!"

Chamber36

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Naughty Ninja said:
Cool Water is a classic! Aqua Di Gio too. *I'd personally go for something new that smells great so chicks are like: "WTF is that? You smell fantastic!"
Ya I been wearing cool water for years and chicks always appreciate it, it doesn't get old. Aqua di gio gets boring pretty quick as it just ends up smelling watery(IMO). Cool water's more fragrant. It's nice and simple too, nothing crazy, just fresh. Issey miyake is sweeter and more citric, and seems to get more attention than cool water. It's louder. Cool Water gets me more compliments though. 5/5 best all round fragrance imho.

Naughty Ninja

Banned
Reaction score
Chamber36 said:
Ya I been wearing cool water for years and chicks always appreciate it, it doesn't get old. Aqua di gio gets boring pretty quick as it just ends up smelling watery(IMO). Cool water's more fragrant. It's nice and simple too, nothing crazy, just fresh. Issey miyake is sweeter and more citric, and seems to get more attention than cool water. It's louder. Cool Water gets me more compliments though. 5/5 best all round fragrance imho.

Try Legend by Mont Blanc. That is THE new shiznit. Google it. You'll see almost EVERY review it gets 5 stars. And chicks I know and work with LOVE it. Smells friggin great.

Guarantee you try that and wear it out chicks WILL notice it and love the smell.

Another one is Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier smells pretty good too.

pdx1138

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
coachD said:
Alright, I'll attempt to answer this question. I use Eternity and have for years. Then again, I've been an AFC for years. I don't think the cologne was the problem though. I'd suggest buying a Calvin Klein product as those tend to last longer. I'll squirt one on my neck and one on the shirt. The shirt will hold the scent all day. Not so for Polo.
I use Eternity as well and have gotten lots of female compliments about smelling good.

One thing a lot of guys do is put on way too much. That makes it repellent.

Just a fast quick spritz is all ye need.

Mr. Bond

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one mentioned the "cologne opener."

I do what NN advised, but with an additional step. I hit up the cologne counter girl, get a bunch of samples, and pick two that I like best. She gets a little say in the matter, but mostly it's what I like.

I take my two favorites, spray one on each wrist, and walk around the mall asking ALL women which one they prefer. My results shocked me the first time I did this. I always thought women preferred lighter cologne, but the heavier cologne won by a LOT.

Also it's a great excuse to meet women and get numbers.

Naughty Ninja

Banned
Reaction score
Mr. Bond said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned the "cologne opener."

I do what NN advised, but with an additional step. I hit up the cologne counter girl, get a bunch of samples, and pick two that I like best. She gets a little say in the matter, but mostly it's what I like.

I take my two favorites, spray one on each wrist, and walk around the mall asking ALL women which one they prefer. My results shocked me the first time I did this. I always thought women preferred lighter cologne, but the heavier cologne won by a LOT.

Also it's a great excuse to meet women and get numbers.

That's a great idea. lol. Usually I'm just strong arming the fragrance chicks for samples. I BS with all of them. You can also ask them what purfume they wear when they go out and if they do what it smells like. No matter what smile and tell them it smells hot or just say "Damn" when they let you smell it. See if they smile and you could just tell them you'll wear your cologne and they can wear their purfume when the two of you meet up some time and see if you get a number close.

Some dudes I know even get part time jobs working for some vendors and walk around with cologne testers for like Chanel mens and BS with customers, make extra money getting cutomers to by certain mens colognes right near the cosmetics/fragrance chicks and wind up getting their numbers and meeting all of them, going out, and even meeting single chicks shopping in the store.

Part time jobs in popular high end dept stores are friggin GOLD MINES to meet tons of new chicks everyday. And you aren't blowing money on drinks or BS lines. I know plenty of dudes doing that.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I actually collect cologne. It’s a hobby I got from my father who has over 500 bottles of cologne. I really don’t get guys who don’t like cologne. Lol I wouldn’t spray axe on my husky lol.

Anyway if you want a good starter cologne that will not break the bank here are a few

Dakkar Noir – you can get a bottle for less than $40 dollars and it’s a classic.

Joop – Cheap as ****, smells great. You can probably find a bottle for under $30

Gucci 2 – 2 smells totally different from one 2 has a deeper smell to it. I actually use it to fregrence my bed sheets my wife loves the smell of it

Jaguar Performance- note there is a regular jaguar which comes in a blue bottle but that’s not this. This comes in a green bottle. It’s kinda racey/fruity and it’s not too expensive. It’s different but smells great

Of those Dakkar Noir is your best bet. It is a really really good and classic smell to it . it’s a perfect starter cologne it’s a good everyday cologne.

My fav colognes are Angel for men (which is actually quite cheap.. women LOVE this beucase it smells like dark chocolate) Creed Himalaya and Bond no. 9 West Broadway but both are expensive. You are going to pay damn near $200 for a 9oz bottle of bond no 9 but the **** is worth it’s weight in gold it’s a panty dropper. Most women haven’t smelled anything like that.

Another one is Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier smells pretty good too.
i like it but it's too common. i don't like nor see the point in wearing cologne that a girl knows what it is the second she smells it. that defeats the purpose of wearing it lol. I see you are like me you like citrus y conlonges., admit it you like CK one don't you lol. I can see why you like Issy

Creed Aventus. trust me you wont regret it.
you can't go wrong with any of the Creed's. they just are high as hell lol. I like Creed Himalaya and Green Irish Tweed the best but all of them are great.

One thing to note, if you buy colonge like i do you learn price has very little to do with quality. don't let the price of stuff like Joop or say... polo Double Black which you can get for about 20 bucks, fool you. there is so much markup in colonge it's stupid. buy what smells good not what costs the most

Naughty Ninja

Banned
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
I actually collect cologne. It’s a hobby I got from my father who has over 500 bottles of cologne. I really don’t get guys who don’t like cologne. Lol I wouldn’t spray axe on my husky lol.

Anyway if you want a good starter cologne that will not break the bank here are a few

Dakkar Noir – you can get a bottle for less than $40 dollars and it’s a classic.

Joop – Cheap as ****, smells great. You can probably find a bottle for under $30

Gucci 2 – 2 smells totally different from one 2 has a deeper smell to it. I actually use it to fregrence my bed sheets my wife loves the smell of it

Jaguar Performance- note there is a regular jaguar which comes in a blue bottle but that’s not this. This comes in a green bottle. It’s kinda racey/fruity and it’s not too expensive. It’s different but smells great

Of those Dakkar Noir is your best bet. It is a really really good and classic smell to it . it’s a perfect starter cologne it’s a good everyday cologne.

My fav colognes are Angel for men (which is actually quite cheap.. women LOVE this beucase it smells like dark chocolate) Creed Himalaya and Bond no. 9 West Broadway but both are expensive. You are going to pay damn near $200 for a 9oz bottle of bond no 9 but the **** is worth it’s weight in gold it’s a panty dropper. Most women haven’t smelled anything like that.

i like it but it's too common. i don't like nor see the point in wearing cologne that a girl knows what it is the second she smells it. that defeats the purpose of wearing it lol. I see you are like me you like citrus y conlonges., admit it you like CK one don't you lol. I can see why you like Issy

you can't go wrong with any of the Creed's. they just are high as hell lol. I like Creed Himalaya and Green Irish Tweed the best but all of them are great.

One thing to note, if you buy colonge like i do you learn price has very little to do with quality. don't let the price of stuff like Joop or say... polo Double Black which you can get for about 20 bucks, fool you. there is so much markup in colonge it's stupid. buy what smells good not what costs the most
Drakkar is an old but classic Guido cologne. lol Still good though. Old School Mofo! lol

Joop, Aqua Di Gio, Fahrenheit, and Eternity are other classic guido colognes.

Ck One is ok.

Burberry Brit is good.

Issey is a great cologne.

Creed and Green Irish are expensive as hell. They need to come with a bombshell chick of your choice for their prices. lol.

I've got Polo Double black, blue too.

Angel smells kindof weird to me. It's so-so with chicks.

Gucci has a newer great one. Forget the friggin name of it though.

Hanae Mori has a pretty good cologne too.

Prada and Versace have some good colognes too. Forgot the names. Gotta look through all the damn samples I've got.

To hell with buying cologne I make my chicks give me samples all the time. They always ask me what the hell I do with all of them. lmao. I tell them I use them in place of taking a shower. hahahaha

You've gotta try Legend by Mont Blanc. Not expensive but smells great. Add that to your collection.

***Update for the OP: Make sure you take a shower before you use cologne..Not in place of one! hahahaha

O.P: Seriously don't overdo it with cologne. Use a small amount. And put a light dab above your upper lip so when you take a chick out you can ask her how your cologne smells as you "show her" by going in for a kiss in the middle of the date/meet etc. Then tell her her lips taste just as good.... Easy tip to get a quick teasing kiss.

I may joke and kid but I do NOT play. ;) :up:

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
there is no such thing as old colonge to a 24 year old as long as you stay away from the stupid ovbious stuff like cool water and polo original. **** i doubt most even know what polo original smell like.

24 year old girl wouldn't have a clue what drakkar noir is beucase they've never smelt it beucase 24 year old dudes don't wear drakkar noir beucase they are too busy thinking they have to buy whatever new is out beucase the cute little sales ladies are pushing whatever is going to make them comission

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Today I had to run some errands and I threw on some Creed Green Irish Tweed

I went to get my tires rotated and I overheard these 2 girls walking bye and sneak look back at me and I heard one of them say "damn he smells good"

Then I went to subway and I as I was checking out, the girl behind the counter, who was kinda cute.. a little thick but if i were single i'd be like whatever let's go lol, she was like "what are you wearing that smells so good"

If i were single that would be 2 numbers in one day off wearing good cologne

cologne is really really important peace of the DJ arsenal

old married dude

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A while back I was wearing The One by Dolce & Gabanna & was visiting someone at the hospital. I got in the elevator & a nurse walks in right behind me. I was going to the 4th floor & she was going to the 12th. She commented "Too bad you're not going up very far, whatever you're wearing smells so amazing."

TarantulaHawk

Banned
Reaction score
old married dude said:
A while back I was wearing The One by Dolce & Gabanna & was visiting someone at the hospital. I got in the elevator & a nurse walks in right behind me. I was going to the 4th floor & she was going to the 12th. She commented "Too bad you're not going up very far, whatever you're wearing smells so amazing."

Creed colognes are good so long as you make sure you buy the originals and not a knockoff or some scam refilled bottle. Best to purchase those from an established reputable retailer.

Gucci Guilty is very good.

Paco One Million get's a lot of compliments and Mont Blanc is another one. Issey Miyake is good too. All of the four are reasonably priced.

There are other high priced colognes like Tom Ford. It depends on what you like and are willing to spend.

Whenever you buy a good cologne make sure the counter person hooks you up with lots of the good new samples too.

SayWhat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Question about applying it.

I spray about 3 times on my neck and one on my wrists. I have never been compleimented on how good I smell and I've tried many colognes, many of which have been mentioned here. Is 4 times not enough? I sometimes can still smell a girls cologne after she went out for the night...

Rival

Don Juan
Reaction score
Go to Sephora and get one of the hotter girls to help you.

Be playful and tell her you need her advice on what smells good on you. Have her spray you and sniff ya a few times...build a lil rapport..then be like..."If I buy this from ya totally owe me dinner."

True story about how I got my spray and hooked up with a hot chick from the store in one go lol.

Pardner

Don Juan
Reaction score
Between_The_Lines said:
Whatever you decide upon, a good rule of thumb is to not be that guy who owns the room with his scent

Nothing worse than being in a crowded room with the cologne guy.