Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Need help choosing a nonfiction book related to US history

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am taking a history class and have to do a report on a non fiction book that has to do with US history. This can include biographies as long as the subject was/is a US citizen. The subject of the book has to be after the cival war but not past the 1980s. It can ONLY be nonfiction; he will not allow fiction that had a profound impact on US history such as 1984 or The Jungle.

I'm more of a novel reader myself, so I'm looking for suggestions. I have to choose the book before class tomarrow night (report is due months from now). Length is not an issue - readability is all I care about.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks, but I don't think those are books. A biography of Al Capone might be interesting though, if there is one.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're looking for titles the American Library Associations website has recommended titles here: Non fiction titles are at the bottom and you can search by year.

http://www.ala.org/ala/rusa/rusaprotools/rusanotable/thelists/notablebooks.htm

Here are some titles I found from their site:

1. Theodore Rex-Biography of Teddy Roosevelt

2. Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War.
This relentlessly paced reconstruction of the 1993 Battle of Mogadishu in Somalia exposes in horrifying detail the murkiness of war and the dangers of reliance on fragile military technology.

3. 1968: The Year That Rocked the World. This engrossing account tells the complete story of the global, social, and political upheaval, warfare, and assassinations that define one year in a tumultuous decade.

You could also just browse the history section of your school's library. I'm sure they'll have something that interests you.

Reaction score
oh man. I wish I remembered the name of this one book which carries a bunch of info about american history that you never were taught. Very insightful

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn? Probably not the easiest thing to write a report on, but it's a classic.

hardwork

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Howard Zinn's A People's History: 1492-Present will knock your hair back. It's the most readable history book I've come across. For a slimmer, quicker (but equally-if-not-moreso-interesting) read, check out James Loewen's Lies My Teacher Told Me.

Both are fantastic reads.

For something maybe a bit more novelly, check out Evan Wright's Generation Kill, or Anthony Swofford's Jarhead, two war books I highly enjoyed. Again, two really great reads.

Reaction score
Originally posted by seanchai
People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn? Probably not the easiest thing to write a report on, but it's a classic.
THATS THE DAMN BOOK! get that sh*t

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds good, but it's too broad. The book has to be after the civil war and before the 90s.

If Jarhead takes place in Desert Storm like the movie, that's no good either. Too recent.

Yes, my teacher is very anal.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I decided on 1968: The Year That Rocked the World. Thanks all for your help.

hardwork

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My bad.

Originally posted by Shiftkey
The subject of the book has to be after the cival war but not past the 1980s.
Originally posted by Von Neuen
For something maybe a bit more novelly, check out Evan Wright's Generation Kill, or Anthony Swofford's Jarhead, two war books I highly enjoyed.
I can't read or write.