Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

MySpace, YouTube, FaceBook and their impact on mankind

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
With the advent of MySpace, YouTube and FaceBook I was wondering what is the impact that these medium are having on people (relationships, habits...ect). I mean do you guys just

It would seem that everyone has to have a MySpace page....even dead people are sometimes given a MYSpace page.

Why this booming interest in MySpace, Youtube....ect. These websites took off with virtually no advertising at all. Is it all vanity driven?

What's the story and where is all of this technology taking us?

Rata Blanca

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Qoheleth said:
Vanity of vanities! All things are vanity!?
I truly believe this webpages are simply ego boosts including fotologs, etc.
They can be good tools to find old friends or make new friends but at what price? Sometimes I think that these "tools" will atrophy the new generations social skills.

Watch the the hot or not webpages, you can find people of ALL ages looking for a mate, this simply is making everyone a lot more passive in the relationship/mating dynamics, just to avoid direct rejection.

fresh_to_death

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know what else our current crop of social networking/viral sites could evolve into. I think the internet, mobile media devices, radio, tv, movies, cellphones, youtube and myspace have all been rolled into one.

I can see how YouTube prospered like it did, but MySpace? There were already social networking sites before it, yet somehow it crushed the game.

It's going to be interesting alright.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Too much information.

I've drawn the line. Where do people get the time to keep up with all this stuff?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Paradox said:
With the advent of MySpace, YouTube and FaceBook I was wondering what is the impact that these medium are having on people (relationships, habits...ect). I mean do you guys just

It would seem that everyone has to have a MySpace page....even dead people are sometimes given a MYSpace page.

Why this booming interest in MySpace, Youtube....ect. These websites took off with virtually no advertising at all. Is it all vanity driven?

What's the story and where is all of this technology taking us?
It extends a person's 15 minutes of fame (or infamy). Consider what people had to do in the past to get any notice from any public medium. Until recent years people had to actually do something newsworthy. Now people can post whatever they like themselves and call it news or entertainment (even if it's only in their eyes). The problem with the medium is that it further erodes the art of real time conversation and interaction. I guess cell phones will still be the bridge between half of that equation.

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My friend told me that he thinks the advent of cell phones is augmenting people's flaky natures. When you were little and you wanted to arrange a get-together with one of your friends, you set up a time in advance and made sure to show up on time. Now, no plans are ever set in stone. If something minor comes up at the last minute, you can call your friend to let him know that you'll be a little late (so he can leave his home a little later also) or that you won't be able to make it (so he won't waste his time).

I guess all the new types of communication kinda have this effect of reducing discipline and accountability.

Reaction score
Because men are the pursuers and women the receptors of our pursuit, my space has become a vehicle of self absorption by the female - whereby we give her attention, en mass, and she feels validated by this attention. In person, she may be approached once in a week by a male, if she is attractive. Now, through my space, she receives more attention in a day than she would receive in a month, without such modern communication. She receives an ego boost and it artificially gives her the impression of power and thus, she acts on this impression with an haughty attitude to suit!!

fresh_to_death

Don Juan
Reaction score
Obsidian said:
My friend told me that he thinks the advent of cell phones is augmenting people's flaky natures.
I think the same thing. It boils my piss when people worship their cellphones. The very nature of cellphones acts as a crutch for normal communication between two people. I usually leave my cellphone in my car or at home whenever I'm going to some social function. I hate letting some piece of plastic and metal control me.

I'm about to leave to go out for the night and it's going to be funny to see how many people are glued to their cellphones texting away the night or talking about MySpace.

Ugh...

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Last Man Standing said:
Because men are the pursuers and women the receptors of our pursuit, my space has become a vehicle of self absorption by the female - whereby we give her attention, en mass, and she feels validated by this attention. In person, she may be approached once in a week by a male, if she is attractive. Now, through my space, she receives more attention in a day than she would receive in a month, without such modern communication. She receives an ego boost and it artificially gives her the impression of power and thus, she acts on this impression with an haughty attitude to suit!!
"OMG NEW PICS UP - everyone comment please :)"
"Nice pic georjus xx"
"Sexy! Love you!"

...Not that I ever look at a girls pics on myspace.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Myspace pics in her underwear got a mayor fired.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23445683?GT1=43001
She's not the first and she wont be the last person who either loses their job or gets bypassed for a job because of what they've posted online. But we can help a lady in distress by purchasing an autographed poster of her on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arlington-Mayor-Carmen-Kontur-Gronquist-Signed-Poster_W0QQitemZ160215169978QQcategoryZ197QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWINQ3aPOST0Q3aRECOQ3aBIDQQcmdZViewItem

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Weve been doing presentations in my communications class lately, and everyone used a youtube video in their presentation...the teacher was like "Ahh...what were our lives like before youtube??" everyone laughed....high five.

Last edited:

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ken785 said:
Weve been doing presentations in my communications class lately, and everyone used a youtube video in their presentation...the teacher was like "Ahh...what were our lives like before youtube??" everyone laughed.
Not too long ago eveyone was hyped up with using PowerPoint. After they graduate I wonder if companies will allow them to make presentations using YouTube or MySpace.

aldaris

Banned
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
Not too long ago eveyone was hyped up with using PowerPoint. After they graduate I wonder if companies will allow them to make presentations using YouTube or MySpace.
the college experience is useless. only good for banging fat drunk girls. college in america is just another scam that has been put upon the people of america.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
aldaris said:
the college experience is useless. only good for banging fat drunk girls. college in america is just another scam that has been put upon the people of america.
Perhaps. But have you tried to have a conversation with a typical kid who didn't go to college? :nervous:

logic1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have seen the impact on the younger people tremendous, like the grade school age.

These kids are not fully matured yet and they use these type places to bully, embarras, harrass, ect other kids their age.

It has a big affect on some of these kids when certain things are said or posted on their pages or someone elses. They are not prepared for the rejection, humiliation, ect. They take a lot of the stuff they see personal and it can affect them in a bad way.

As for the adults.......................sometimes I have to laugh.

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LONDON, England (AP) -- The body of a teenage girl was found hanging in the woods of a Welsh village Tuesday, and authorities said it was the 17th young suicide in just over a year near one town in South Wales.

17 young people in or around Bridgend in South Wales have committed suicide in just over a year

1 of 3 No evidence has been found of a suicide pact or a cult responsible for the string of deaths, police said.

"Our review is ongoing but so far there is absolutely no indication of any criminality or of any suicide pact," Assistant Chief Constable David Morris said.

All the suicides happened in or around Bridgend, nearly 20 miles west of Cardiff, within the past 13 months.

Police identified Jenna Parry, 16, as the latest victim. Her body was found hanging from a tree in the woods by a passer-by walking his dog in the village of Cefn Cribwr, five miles from Bridgend.

Morris complained about "sensational" media reporting adding to the problems facing the Bridgend area and called for more accurate coverage of the "cluster" of suicides. He singled out for his harshest criticism newspaper reports linking the deaths to some sort of Internet cult. Police chief discusses suicides »

Web cult blamed for suicides
Police did say that a number of the victims used a social networking Web site that is popular with young Britons.

Morris was joined by the parents of Nathaniel Pritchard, a 15-year-old who took his life last week. They said their son may have been influenced by media reports they believe glamorized earlier suicides, and called for press restraint.

"We feel media coverage could trigger other young people, who are already vulnerable and feeling low, into attempting to take their own lives," Sharon Pritchard said.

romangod

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
YouTube is the only site of the one's listed that I use. I travel to Europe and take a lot of video. Then I post clips for my family and friends to look at. It's a great tool.

woods

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Myspace is the best thing to happen to music since recording technology! Thats for damn sure. Talented bands can actually rise up, instead of marketed ones.

I like getting ahold of people I haven't seen in years too. Also, When you meet a chick, you can tell a LOT about her if you can find her page. You can see how many dudes are after her, who she hangs out with, personality traits. Lots of things.