My workout routine

DrD77

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I would appreciate it if some of you guys would evaluate my routine. I have been just doing upper body workouts every other day with cardio at the end. I have done some research and found out that I am overworking myself and that I need to isolate each muscle group. I also found out that I need to be working legs too which I already knew. So this is what I came up with:

Monday:
Nothing

Tuesday:
Chest-
Bench Press (4 sets)
Fly’s (3 Sets)
Incline Bench (2 Sets)

Triceps-
Triceps Extension (3 Sets)
Dips (3 Sets)

Cardio-
Run on treadmill (30 Min.)

Wednesday:
Nothing

Thursday:
Biceps-
Preacher Curls (3 Sets)
Standing Barbell Curls (3 Sets)
Sitting Barbell Curls (3 Sets)

Back-
Lat Pull down (3 Sets)
Seated Cable Row (3 Sets)
Deltoid Machine (3 Sets)
Lower Back Machine (2 Sets)

Cardio-
Run on treadmill (30 min.)

Friday:
Nothing

Saturday:
Shoulders-
Lateral Raise (3 Sets)
Military Press (3 Sets)
Shrugs (3 Sets)

Legs-
Leg Extension (4 Sets)
Calf Raise (3 Sets)
Leg Curls (3 Sets)
Groin Muscle Exercise Machines (3 Sets each)
Standing Leg Extension (3 Sets)

Cardio-
Run on treadmill (1 mile)

Sunday:
Nothing

I'm going to do situps every day that I work out as well.

TizZle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd incorporate squats and deadlifts, and take out one of the bicep exercises to start off. I'm sure someone of advanced lifting knowledge will chime in soon enough.

DrD77

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i don't really like squats that much and I don't know how to do deadlifts and i don't think that my gym has deadlift capabilities, its really small. ill take off one of the biceps exercise. thanks.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First, it's a good time for us to ask:

What are your goals? Long term(next 5 years), short term(next 12-18 months).

DrD77

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
well i am 5'10, 155 lbs.
i want to get up to 175. I don't want to be huge i just want to be in great shape and ripped.

long term
be able to bench over 300

short term
stick with exercising

Rampage1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
TBH I wouldnt do cardio straight after a workout. Maybe before or preferably on a different day if its heavy cardio!

You need at least to have Deads in your routine for mass building!

Rampage1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
don't worry, you don't have to pick one of the above as Quag suggested. You can and it will work fine but you don't need to! You do however need to incorporate either deads or squats into the routine!

Also dont do heavy cardio after weights..Preferably do it on a different day!

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DrD77 said:
i don't really like squats that much and I don't know how to do deadlifts and i don't think that my gym has deadlift capabilities, its really small.
I'll tell you before everyone rips you a new one, you better learn to like squats, lol. And you said your goal is to bench 300+, if your gym has the equipment for bench pressing then it has the equipment for deadlifting because all you need is a barbell and weight plates. Plus if you're benching 300+ you should be deadlifting 500+ and squatting 400+ or you're going to look like a lightbulb :crackup:

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DrD77 said:
I don't want to be huge i just want to be in great shape and ripped.
Check JohnnyIrish's journal for my thoughts on guys who want to be ripped and muscular (nothing wrong with that goal) but who vastly underestimate what they need to do.

Gaining 20lbs would be an excellent START to an out-of-the-ordinary physique. So I would concentrate on that right now - which means squatting and deadlifting.

Your routine could be way better. Rearrange it into a squat/bench/deadlift routine with the appropriate accessory work. Or do Rippetoe's or something. What you do doesn't matter as long as its core is increasing the weight you lift in the squat, deadlift, bench, military press, row, chin up..

Dietwise at 19 you'll be to handle more carbs than older guys, especially if your bf% is low. So probably a carb cutoff style diet in which you eat carbs earlier in the day and post workout, but cut them off at a certain time, after which you eat protein, fat and vegetables. (which you can also eat earlier in the day if you want) Stay well hydrated and do some cardio for recovery/fat management purposes.

If you are dedicated and don't miss meals and train your ass off, 20lbs is gainable in less than a year and that doesn't mean getting fat with it. Maybe even 6 months (depends on your genetics).

DrD77

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
alright, ill do squats on leg days. but when should i incorporate deadlifts? i know it works a whole range of muscles so when is the best time? thanks for the replies guys.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just do the Rippetoe program, it works for everyone who does it correctly, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
Your routine could be way better. Rearrange it into a squat/bench/deadlift routine with the appropriate accessory work.
Don't think in terms of what 'muscles does the deadlift work' but 'what do I add to my deadlift day to help my deadlift go up'. deadlifting is a cornerstone of a routine, not thrown in to work the back.

DrD77

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
Don't think in terms of what 'muscles does the deadlift work' but 'what do I add to my deadlift day to help my deadlift go up'. deadlifting is a cornerstone of a routine, not thrown in to work the back.
i did deadlifts today for the first time ever. I hope I did them right. I'm glad you told me about them because it sure does give you a workout. My back is really sore right now. I only did 3 sets and got tired and did the rest of my workout. I did one set of 95 and another 2 sets of 135. If my goal was to bench 300, what is a good goal to shoot for deadlift wise?

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
a good goal to shoot for deadlift wise ifyou are looking to bench 300 would be 500, thats my goal also 300/400/500 (bench/squat/deadlift)
how many reps are you doing in each set of each excercise?
personally i would do the rippetoe 3x5 routine as a beginner and then when you plateau or your lifts slow down dramatically change your routine to fit

EAT EAT EAT EAT as well ( i know i cant talk but oh well :p lol)

DrD77

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i did 3 sets of 10 today and it was hard so i might try more weight with that 3x5 that you gave me.